To not want to sit in silence to watch someone's wedding video?

(146 Posts)
Mittensonkittens Sun 27-Oct-13 20:30:48

Our niece got married three weeks ago. We attended the wedding. Dh's family have been OBSESSED with the wedding, especially bil and sil.

Today we were at my pil's when they popped round (niece, her husband, sil and bil) with the wedding video so we could watch it (great, would not have gone if I'd known). They kept calling it the "greatest film of the century" and laughing, but I think they may have been serious.

So they put it on and then we had to sit and watch it and every time someone spoke bil would say "shhhh shhhh this is a good bit coming up" and glare so eventually everyone sat in silence for two and a half hours. We tried to make a break for it twice but both times bil was all "no stay stay there's a great bit coming up." Yes, we were there only three weeks ago, Im fairly sure i can remember what happens next. The only time we were allowed to speak was after Bil's speech when we were encouraged to bestow lots of praise and astonishment at how brilliant it was. Bil rewound parts of it twice hmm

We also had to listen to all the guests saying congratulations at the end as they filmed a personal message from each guest, which basically went "congratulations niece and dh, we hope you'll have a great life together." It went on for quite some time. Lovely for them I'm sure but given that we had no idea who most of these people were it did get slightly monotonous.

Aibu to not want to spend two and a half hours watching a wedding DVD in silence, especially since I attended the wedding only three weeks ago in person? Or am I just mean?

Cerisier Mon 28-Oct-13 21:10:15

limited your friend and her DM both sound dreadful. Not surprised you are no longer friends.

ZingWantsCake Mon 28-Oct-13 18:41:57

mitten

I can't believe my silly joke wasn't far from the truth!shock

did you have to watch back the quiz itself? grin

RooRooTaToot Mon 28-Oct-13 18:41:11

Why do people inflict their videos on others?

Not as bad as yours (no fecking panpipes), but when I was with my previous partner we were on our way out for the night and on the way we had to pop by a friend of theirs to drop something off.

Bear in mind I had never met this friend of my partner's before...

We were offered a cuppa and once trapped with it on the sofa, we were hit with the words "we must show you the video from our holiday!" (Must?!?)

90 minutes of footage of them getting drunk and sunbathing. We kept making noises about having to go, but were shushed with "you just HAVE to see this next bit. It's SO funny!"

The funny moment? The bloke, who I'd never met, had entered the campsite's talent competition with another 4 blokes I didn't know and did a routine to The Full Monty. 5 middle-aged, lobster-red drunken men jiggling to Hot Chocolate. Shudders

I have never seen them since.

sheldor Mon 28-Oct-13 18:28:48

Haha just noticed i put guaduation.I forgot how to actually spell blush That must mean a migraines on the way.Oh the joys

sheldor Mon 28-Oct-13 18:23:57

Haha i don't know but it felt like forever.Must have been a long time though as i was thinking ,oh god please be finished,please be finished.You had to watch the mum walking about with the camera for ages,then talking to her ex though you couldn't hear anything they were saying due to other graduates and thier families being there.My dp was lucky he went to the pub that evening.I couldn't get out of it as i didn't want to appear rude

limitedperiodonly Mon 28-Oct-13 18:18:09

SamG76 I don't know. I'm not Jewish. I've attended only one Jewish wedding and wasn't paying that much attention so have no idea of the role fathers play, which is why I deliberately didn't talk about 'giving away', because that's not my place or experience.

I'm Catholic but non-practising. My friend - Karen - was Jewish but non-practicising either.

You might find the point about having to marry a doctor or accountant dated and not very funny but it was valid in 1987 in Essex and might still be.

As it happened, Karen's non-Jewish dad was a jeweller, as was her uncle, which was how he came to meet Audrey.

None of them are exclusively Jewish occupations, just as being a docker or a publican are exclusively Catholic occupations. But that tends to be the way things used to go.

Given where I come from, I expect you to understand that I have had a number of Jewish boyfriends, including one very significant one whose mother didn't like me.

I don't know why. There was no danger that I wanted to wed her boy. He was fun, but I had better prospects.

MaitreKarlsson Mon 28-Oct-13 18:08:28

Oh no OP. I feel for you! We were put in a similar position over a wedding that we flew abroad to attend. Gorgeous wedding in many ways, but with one exception: a dreadful live solo from a male friend of the bride. Appalling. Off tune...bad song...just car crash. My DH was best man and struggled to contain his horror (but did) despite me catching his eye. Fast forward to four days later when, in a special dinner with the happy couple, we were shown the complete video (2 hours) with two...TWO...rewinds of the song. Being the pathetic spineless Brits that we were we gushed over how great he was and how lovely it had all been. grin

SamG76 Mon 28-Oct-13 17:41:10

Limitedperiodonly -

Sounds traumatic, but how can uncle take the dad's part? The dad doesn't have a part. I've seen non-Jewish parents standing under the chuppah at orthodox weddings, so I suspect something has got lost in the telling.

I find the point about having to marry a doctor or accountant dated and not very funny. If anything, the argument would be that as a doctor or lawyer he wouldn't need to convert because he'd be so suitable in other ways....

cocoleBOO Mon 28-Oct-13 17:38:11

'Lightly tapping bongos' <dies laughing>

My mums cousin videoed our wedding. I taped the X-Files over it without ever watching it.

We didn't want a wedding video, but MIL did.
She got her sisters "friend" lover to do one for us.
I think it is still in her house smile

Sparklingbrook Mon 28-Oct-13 17:09:22

A graduation video sheldor? How long does that go on for? confused

sheldor Mon 28-Oct-13 17:03:51

I Had to watch an guaduation video(as much as i love dps family it was
boring).Yanbu

lljkk Mon 28-Oct-13 17:00:12

I am fairly certain that I've never watched my own wedding video.

Bumblequeen Mon 28-Oct-13 15:45:55

2.5 hours!

Our wedding DVD was 30-40 minutes long capturing key moments of the day. I showed this to my immediate family and bridesmaids.

Sharpkat Mon 28-Oct-13 15:40:13

Oh god this reminds me of when my mother made my fiance sit through the entire video of my first holy communion complete with panpipes and the whole church service plus meal after.

He nodded politely all the way through it as I cringed in the corner.

She thought he had thoroughly enjoyed it so followed it up with the one of my Confirmation.

6 hours of his life he will never get back. No wonder we split up. shockhmmconfused

ipswichwitch Mon 28-Oct-13 15:36:59

ipswichwitch inappropriate first dances - Elvis Costello's Alison. My friends didn't realise it was about a jealous man fantasising about shooting his ex-girlfriend

aaaaaaaahahahahahaha! do these people not listen to the lyrics first limitedperiodonly!?!?!?!? T
That said I was at a wedding where the first dance was to "every breath you take" by The Police, which the b&g thought was terribly romantic until someone pointed out (wasn't me!) that its a song about stalking someone!

Anyone who insists on full attention is probably on glue.
who knew there were so many gluezillas about!
you people are killing me grin

Mittensonkittens Mon 28-Oct-13 15:35:34

Jennifer rush. Sadly.

TheHeadlessLadyofCannock Mon 28-Oct-13 15:34:35

I'd pay good money for a pan pipe version of 'Where the Wild Roses Grow' by Cave and Kylie grin

limitedperiodonly Mon 28-Oct-13 15:30:02

ipswichwitch inappropriate first dances - Elvis Costello's Alison. My friends didn't realise it was about a jealous man fantasising about shooting his ex-girlfriend.

SicknSpan Mon 28-Oct-13 15:28:17

I was given good advice by my step mum regarding wedding videos. Their only use is when you have your first real marital argument, stick the video on and watch it for a while and the argument will fade away. Worked too.

Sorry you had to sit through it!

moogy1a Mon 28-Oct-13 15:27:38

Is it anything like this?
footage.shutterstock.com/clip-2356226-stock-footage-bride-and-groom-play-on-swing-at-their-wedding.html
but of course with panpipes.
Which power of love was it?
Frankie goes to Hollywood or Jennifer Rush?
In fact no, I hope it was Huey Lewis and the News ( made more famous by being used in a murder scene in American Psycho!)

limitedperiodonly Mon 28-Oct-13 15:26:17

Cerisier it was really sad. But she and her mum didn't think they'd done anything wrong.

Her mum was a nice woman but steely in pursuit of what she wanted. My friend was the same, but minus the humour that softened, or rather masked, her mum's attitude.

They made him trot the story out to me once as well and it made for a funny anecdote the way he told it. But I suspect it was as uncomfortable for him to tell as it was for me to listen to.

My friend later dated someone her mum deeply disapproved of. He wasn't Jewish and he wasn't a doctor or an accountant so there was no point him converting shock.

He was a chippy and her mum once had a stagey conversation with me to try to spell out to my friend just how unsuitable that was.

I listened and then said in my most pious voice: 'But Audrey, Jesus was a carpenter.'

At least Audrey had the grace to say: 'Touché.' grin

BTW he was no Messiah but she might have been a Mary Magdalene. They were using each other for hot sex grin

moogy1a Mon 28-Oct-13 15:23:29

They must surely have posted highlights ( of which the slow mo swing would be one) on some social interweb type thing.
Please please point us in the right direction

kiriwAnyFuckerwa Mon 28-Oct-13 15:21:48

Having said I never want to see anyone's wedding video, I really do want to see the bride on the swing in slow motion. And Bruce's shoes grin

ipswichwitch Mon 28-Oct-13 15:21:33

am literally dying laughing here at pan pipe "love will tear us apart" friday you could make a compillation of highly inappropriate songs redone in panpipes - rage against the machine anyone?

and also remember Helen Daniels died watching Kylie and Jason's wedding video on neighbours, a warning to us all about the dangers of tedium

i'll go into labour early at this rate!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now