To not want to sit in silence to watch someone's wedding video?

(146 Posts)
Mittensonkittens Sun 27-Oct-13 20:30:48

Our niece got married three weeks ago. We attended the wedding. Dh's family have been OBSESSED with the wedding, especially bil and sil.

Today we were at my pil's when they popped round (niece, her husband, sil and bil) with the wedding video so we could watch it (great, would not have gone if I'd known). They kept calling it the "greatest film of the century" and laughing, but I think they may have been serious.

So they put it on and then we had to sit and watch it and every time someone spoke bil would say "shhhh shhhh this is a good bit coming up" and glare so eventually everyone sat in silence for two and a half hours. We tried to make a break for it twice but both times bil was all "no stay stay there's a great bit coming up." Yes, we were there only three weeks ago, Im fairly sure i can remember what happens next. The only time we were allowed to speak was after Bil's speech when we were encouraged to bestow lots of praise and astonishment at how brilliant it was. Bil rewound parts of it twice hmm

We also had to listen to all the guests saying congratulations at the end as they filmed a personal message from each guest, which basically went "congratulations niece and dh, we hope you'll have a great life together." It went on for quite some time. Lovely for them I'm sure but given that we had no idea who most of these people were it did get slightly monotonous.

Aibu to not want to spend two and a half hours watching a wedding DVD in silence, especially since I attended the wedding only three weeks ago in person? Or am I just mean?

Mittensonkittens Sun 27-Oct-13 21:00:06

Oh no. Birthing set to panpipes. shock it's going to happen isn't it? I may meet to emigrate before that happens.

As long as it's not the conception set to pan pipes Mittens. wink

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 27-Oct-13 21:09:47

Oh dear, they're still high on wedding adrenaline aren't they? It'll wear off.

Dh still calls our wedding the wedding of the year hmm.

Weddings are like babies, if you've had one everyone else's seems a bit pedestrian.

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Sun 27-Oct-13 21:20:18

I can't even bear to watch my own wedding DVD. Mind you I was a bit fatter then. and looked bloody awful

fanjofarrow Sun 27-Oct-13 21:21:59

Hell no! Wedding vids are dull.

hallowisitmeyourelookingfor Sun 27-Oct-13 21:41:51

Oh god, yawn at wedding videos in general, unless it is your own, and even then, it will still be boring to everyone else.
Friends of ours wanted us to watch theirs and have us round for dinner with some other couples. We politely made our excuses. We had all been to the wedding 4 weeks before.
YANBU, I would have left. Bit rude to presume you wanted to spend 2 and a half hours in silence watching it really.

clary Sun 27-Oct-13 22:15:21

Two and a half hours???

No YANBU.

Why would anyone want to watch it? And not to be allowed to speak? I think I might have gone for a hour-long quick read in the downstairs loo.

LondonNightmareInGhostlyBoots Sun 27-Oct-13 22:16:16

Not sure what the point of them is tbh, no one really wants to watch them do they! I got married 3 weeks ago and I don't want to watch a video of it, I was there! Although watching my cousin sit cross legged on the floor with her nose almost on the tv watching her wedding video the first time was very cutesmile

My aunt videoed mine apparently which was very sweet of her and I'm sure when I come to watch it it will be more interesting, but it's not compulsory for anyone else. hmm I've never seem my parents', I only found out they had one when I asked advice on getting a professional one done. They advised against!

OwlinaTree Sun 27-Oct-13 22:33:30

Me and DH had to watch a video someone had made of the house they were buying. It was set to 'our house' by madness instrumental version.

I had to leave the room as I was trying so hard not to laugh!

Salmotrutta Sun 27-Oct-13 22:40:26

It's the equivalent of being made to sit through reels and reels of old holiday cine films. Like they had back when I was a young un.

yes, I mean you MIL

friday16 Sun 27-Oct-13 22:43:15

About twenty years ago, when wedding videos were starting to become a thing (but were just as tacky as they are now) a colleague gave a frightening account of a dinner party they had attended. After dinner (ie, it was already quite late) the guests were subjected to the wedding video, but each time anyone was thought to have been paying insufficient attention it was rewound for full appreciation. Over time people's attention wandered, so progress slowed to a glacial pace. Several people just left, leaving the bride weeping that people didn't care, but still showing the video. My colleague didn't know how it ended, as they too had eventually just walked out. I suspect it's one way to shed unwanted friends.

friday16 Sun 27-Oct-13 22:43:58

It's the equivalent of being made to sit through reels and reels of old holiday cine films

"Would you like to see my holiday video?"

"No".

Mittensonkittens Sun 27-Oct-13 22:46:58

Our house! <weeps>
I'd like to think they were doing it I am ironic way, but I don't suppose they were!

Salmotrutta Sun 27-Oct-13 22:47:27

Quite hard to say "No" though Friday when it's your new fiancées Mum...

wink

Without sounding rude anyway.

On the up side, it was such a faff to set up back in those days I only had to sit through them once. grin

quesadilla Sun 27-Oct-13 22:49:25

Good grief it sounds like purgatory. I think expecting someone to sit through your wedding video is a tall order under any circumstances, never mind in silence.

It sounds like it would have been funny as fuck if you had been able to laugh openly at it...
Panpipe Celine Dion... It straight out of Alan Partifge.

Think you did well not to crack up.

friday16 Sun 27-Oct-13 22:52:40

Panpipe Celine Dion

I've never been able to track down the panpipe Love Will Tear Us Apart that I'm sure I once heard in a hotel lobby.

BreconBeBuggered Sun 27-Oct-13 23:08:49

You poor thing. My SIL had about 3 hours' worth of footage from her big day that MIL wanted us to sit and watch, as we'd missed some of it what with being out of the room to breastfeed a 3-month-old for an apparently unacceptable length of time. It included long, long shots of table settings. I'd have been weeping openly after about an hour, but fortunately DH can be massively rude and they were glad to let us out in the end.

Jan49 Sun 27-Oct-13 23:34:22

OMG I think I'd have gone to the toilet and not gone back.

I have a video of my wedding but it's 7 minutes long and I don't think anyone other than me and my then h and my ds has ever seen it. And it's boring.

MrTumblesKnickers Mon 28-Oct-13 01:05:24

"It's the equivalent of being made to sit through reels and reels of old holiday cine films"

I actually love this! (Except for the one the PILs have of a Christmas dinner which just shows everyone eating in silence for 20 minutes with the odd "lovely mashed potatoes, darling").

But a 2.5 hour video of an event you were at 3 weeks before .... no thanks. And panpipes? NONONO.

ZingWantsCake Mon 28-Oct-13 04:49:00

fuck that, I would have left after 5 mins.

sorry, but I laughed all the way reading your OP.grin grin grin
just unbelievable!

ZingWantsCake Mon 28-Oct-13 04:54:20

best bits
BiL rewound his speech 3 times
set to panpipes

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Lavenderhoney Mon 28-Oct-13 05:54:39

The pan pipes bit made me laughsmile you showed remarkable restraint there, op.

You realise you'll be getting your very own signed copy for Christmas don't you? smile You could make them a special wedding DVD cover for it for their present. You know, a DVD cosysmile could catch on..

FrankieStien Mon 28-Oct-13 06:10:06

I wouldn't of been able to hack it. YANBU.

KalevalaForMePlease Mon 28-Oct-13 06:20:21

Oh God, I am crying at this! Pan pipes?! Celine Dion?! One day they'll look back at this and cringe! (I hope)

FruOla Mon 28-Oct-13 06:26:15

Oh dear, hahahahaha grin grin

You know you're going to have to avoid your ILs for at least a year now? They'll put it on at any given opportunity - just in case you missed a bit the last time you saw it. And there will probably be a first anniversary party where you'll all have to watch it .... again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now