Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To be annoyed that he doesn't like me posting on MN?

(36 Posts)
Modestandatinybitsexy Sun 27-Oct-13 19:55:32

He doesn't like me sharing private information in a public forum. I find it weird that he finds it weird.

I sometimes need to unload issues where people will judge me with no preconceptions and it wont impact on my life other than the information I take away from the discussions.

I don't have many friends I can discuss big life stuff with and I feel family would get too involved.

I now feel weird about posting but I don't want to feel censored. I don't feel I've revealed too much. Which of us is being unreasonable?

Surely it depends what you're posting.
Would he mind if you posted
'My dh has a really big cock'
For instance?

flowery Sun 27-Oct-13 21:20:21

Well if you're posting private stuff with a "pretty obvious username, anyone close to me would have been able to guess" then I think it's fair enough for him not to be happy IMO.

WorraLiberty England Sun 27-Oct-13 21:38:44

I agree with flowery

Also I'm not sure about 'how girls work' either.

I just know how I work and that's in a fairly private way. My DH respects that and would never post anything private online that could identify me to people who know me.

Modestandatinybitsexy Sun 27-Oct-13 22:06:26

Thing is I really haven't talked about anything too personal. Other than stating we had different opinions on the baby matter and asking wwyd.

We actually started the discussion because I read about the JM stuff and asked him how he'd feel. I wasn't sure if I'd feel comfortable talking about our sex life anywhere and since he's stated he would prefer I wouldn't then I won't. It then moved on to him saying that he wouldn't be happy if I mentioned anything about him. This thread would obviously not be able to exist if he had his way.

Although my username was obvious - now changed - I didn't write anything I don't want anyone to know; I just prefer to type than talk. I'm also fairly private and talking about personal issues can make me far too emotional and then they seem more dramatic than they actually are iykwim.

WorraLiberty England Sun 27-Oct-13 22:09:23

Well then I guess it's a case of what he doesn't know, won't harm him.

But I can see his point. I'd just feel weird if I knew my DH was tapping away at a keyboard and discussing our personal life with online strangers.

Then again if no-one did that, MN wouldn't really exist.

But I just wouldn't want to know about it, if that makes sense?

APartridgeAmongThePigeons Sun 27-Oct-13 22:14:24

Mumsnet has the same rules as fight club

EXACTLY says so right at the top of the page.. I think. Something about fight club grin

If dh had to discuss something super private between us to someone I'd much prefer he do it under a name change on an anonymous forum than to one of his friends.

You have to talk to someone and sometimes when the person you need to talk about is your partner.. it has to be someone else. I think taking support from you is a shitty thing to do.

MmeLindor Germany Sun 27-Oct-13 22:20:04

Hmm, I can see his point if you were discussing a personal matter, using a name that people you know could guess. Look at the PB thing - you are posting on an open website, that anyone can read.

However, I think that he is BU to expect that you should only discuss private issues with him. It is not a betrayal of your relationship. It is getting a different perspective.

BOF Sun 27-Oct-13 22:22:54

If you don't reveal things that make you identifiable, he is utterly unreasonable. Everyone needs to talk, even if it's just a diary.

tinkertitonk Mon 28-Oct-13 00:11:06

"I don't feel I've revealed too much."

If you've revealed anything to a bunch of strangers (which is what any forum is, including this one) then you've revealed too much. Why do you think you have a right to violate his privacy?

"Which of us is being unreasonable?"

You are.

DameDeepRedBetty Mon 28-Oct-13 00:20:55

tinkertitonk I'm sorry I 100% disagree.

MN is a fantastic place to talk stuff through, ANONYMOUSLY.

OP has namechanged and has not revealed anything about herself except that she is a young woman living with a partner somewhere in the UK. Which narrows it down to about 20 million couples.

BOF Mon 28-Oct-13 00:29:18

Yes, that's a load of bollocks.

Do you think that anybody who has ever written to an agony aunt has betrayed their partner's trust?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now