To be pissed off with new neighbours?

(433 Posts)
chinley Sun 27-Oct-13 19:10:48

Sticking this in AIBU before I take any action, so I know whether I'll be making myself look like a twat or not first.

New neighbours moved in last week. We live on a street of terraced houses so parking is limited, but this has worked fine up to now as everyone on the street has been parking outside their own house. My husband and I each have a car so whoever gets home first gets the spot and the other one parks across the road and a bit further down where there is space for about 3 cars where there are no houses (hope you're following me so far!).

So, new neighbours have also got 2 cars between them and have taken to parking one outside their house and the other outside mine, forcing DH and me both to park elsewhere.

AIBU to think this is more than a little inconsiderate??

I did knock on their door to speak to them but they wouldn't answer even though I know they were home because their car was in front of my house again!

Maybe I'm being a baby over the parking space but tbh I'm just fuming at the total and complete lack of consideration given.

AIBU to ask them to stop parking outside my house?

MidniteScribbler Sun 27-Oct-13 19:12:32

You don't own a public road. They can park where they like.

cocoleBOO Sun 27-Oct-13 19:12:33

YANBU that's just inconsiderate.

PartyFops Sun 27-Oct-13 19:13:11

Is it a public road? Is the car taxed? If so YABU.

It's annoying, but also tough shit smile

chinley Sun 27-Oct-13 19:13:14

I have to pop out now so apologies in advance but I'll be checking back in a couple of hours.

Crikeyblimey Sun 27-Oct-13 19:13:34

This is my new nightmare too.

Our house is tucked in the corner so no actual space outside ours. We only have one car and before new neighbours moved in we sometimes got the nearest space and sometimes out neighbours did.

Since new neighbours have m

Purple2012 Sun 27-Oct-13 19:13:58

I can see why you are annoyed but yabu. Its a public road not private parking spaces.

LaGuardia Sun 27-Oct-13 19:14:02

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

maddy68 Sun 27-Oct-13 19:14:12

They can park wherever they like. I think you are being unreasonable. It's always a parking battle when you live in a terraced street. I would take them a cake or a bottle of wine. Welcome them in and then drop into conversation how you try to park car number two elsewhere as you try to be considerate etc. let's hope t hey take the hint but you can't ask them to park elsewhere they have as much right as anyone else to park outside your house

chinley Sun 27-Oct-13 19:14:13

Yes, it's a public road and I'm fully aware I have no 'rights' to the space, I did state that the annoying thing was the pure inconsideration.

chinley Sun 27-Oct-13 19:15:06

Well maybe I'm different then because since the day I moved in I never would have dreamt of hogging 2 spaces.

Nanny0gg Sun 27-Oct-13 19:15:49

It is annoying and inconsiderate but there is little you can do unless they want to co-operate.

Has anyone actually 'welcomed' them as new neighbours before pointing out the parking conventions?

Crikeyblimey Sun 27-Oct-13 19:15:51

This is my new nightmare too.

Our house is tucked in the corner so no actual space outside ours. We only have one car and before new neighbours moved in we sometimes got the nearest space and sometimes out neighbours did.

Since new neighbours have moved in, they have 3 cars AND a van. They parked the van in "the space" and left it there for 3 solid weeks. I think they were using it as an extra shed.

One day they moved it and promptly replaced t with one of the cars (as in, one drove the van the other the car).

I would politely ask them but as nobody owns the space, don't hold your breath.

chinley Sun 27-Oct-13 19:16:12

LaGuardia nobody is forcing you to post here.

EBearhug Sun 27-Oct-13 19:16:31

I almost never get to park outside my house. Occasionally, I can't even park in my street. If I allowed it to bother me, my blood pressure would be atmospheric, so I'd need to be parking a couple of miles away so the exercise from the walk would help calm me down...

cakebar Sun 27-Oct-13 19:16:47

I think YABU. You are lucky that no one else has two cars!! When we lived in a terrace it was a free for all, I think most houses had 2 cars, some had more as young adults were living at home, the house was rented to sharers or people had work vans. If they have come from somewhere like this they will not realise others are parking to a 'system'.

YABU, they can park where they like on the road and yes, you will look like a twat if you say anything.
Neighbourly convention dictates that they are being thoughtless but quite legal.

chinley Sun 27-Oct-13 19:17:48

I guess I just got too used to having considerate neighbours all this time, as nobody else on the street does what they're doing.

notanyanymore Sun 27-Oct-13 19:18:05

yanbu, buy a heap of a car, tax it, dump it outside their house, and smile, its a public road, you can park your heap where you like!

CrapBag Sun 27-Oct-13 19:18:13

Sorry but YABU. Yes it is annoying, but they have 2 cars and you have no rights to the bit of road outside your house.

Outside my row of houses, there is space for 4 cars if people park sensibly. However sensibly seems to have escaped my neighbours because, if they can, they park bang outside their house taking up 2 spaces rather than dropping back or forwards 1-2 meters, meaning that someone else can get their car in. I haven't knocked on their door though because they are perfectly within their rights to do this, its just fucking inconsiderate.

Objection Sun 27-Oct-13 19:19:15

Not a lot you can do about it I'm afraid. Very annoying but just one of the many trials and tribulations of street parking.

chinley Sun 27-Oct-13 19:19:21

I don't think the unreasonableness (is that a word?) should be purely based on legalities. Surely it's more than a little selfish?

usualsuspect Sun 27-Oct-13 19:19:24

I'd be pissed off too,OP.

A bit of consideration for your neighbours goes a long way.

Cheeky fuckers.

MrsOakenshield Sun 27-Oct-13 19:20:07

I live on a terraced road and maybe 2 days out of 7 I might park outside my house. It's not a problem though, if I have heavy shopping I doube park to unload and then park elsewhere and me and DD walk back. Far more annoying is those with multiple vehicles and mahoosive cars, sorry. If it's that important to you move somewhere with a big drive. Or get rid of a car.

JackNoneReacher Sun 27-Oct-13 19:20:15

I think you know Yabu.

You don't own the space. You just have a very personal idea about what is 'fair' on your street. Perhaps they think its fair that whoever gets there first chooses the space - sometimes this will be them, sometimes it will be you.

Sometimes you will have to haul babies/shopping/bags up the road, sometimes they will.

Its a shit thing about not having Off street parking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now