Storm prep?

(70 Posts)
nametakenagain Sun 27-Oct-13 18:15:22

To think it was pointless to prepare for the storm by cutting back a tree and then leave the branches on the ground?

DeckSwabber Sun 27-Oct-13 22:28:00

Weather forecast says the pressure will drop, temperatures will rise, some time during the night (depending where you are). It might be calm now but that can change very quickly!

DeckSwabber Sun 27-Oct-13 22:30:10

In response to the OP, cutting back vulnerable tree seems like a good idea, tidying up seems like a massive waste of time until the storm has passed. Unless you like clearing up.

Saw someone sweeping leaves today. WHY?

cantspel Sun 27-Oct-13 22:30:12

I slept through the storm on 87 so am going to sit up to watch this one.

feelinlucky Sun 27-Oct-13 22:30:32

Not even a breeze here. I would be happy with a short gust! Not even a bloody breeze smile

cantspel Sun 27-Oct-13 22:32:05

Vlearing up is not a waste of time as the last thing you want is loads of lose branches, garden pots and the like being blown about in 80 mile an hour winds. They could do a lot of damage if they hit property or people.

MrsBramleyApple Sun 27-Oct-13 22:33:35

We have put all the garden furniture in the bottom corner part of the courtyard. Mum and I both have a torch by our beds, I have my mobile and the house phone by my bed. The dog is under the duvet with me. Mum's dog is downstairs and I hope he doesn't howl. It was his first night living here last night, (he and mum moved in!) he whined and whined so Mum went to get him at midnight and he was headbanging my door and whining for my dog. He was not in Mum's and my good books this morning! hmm

daisychain01 Sun 27-Oct-13 22:34:22

Talking about panic buying my MIL still has some tins of chicken she bought just back in 1999 just before the Millennium Bug was meant to happen (and didn't).

steppemum Sun 27-Oct-13 22:41:01

well I did spend 20 minutes putting garden stuff on shed, and putting bricks on top of things like the sand pit lid.

Garden has never looked so tidy, maybe we should have a storm more often!

OP, but you cut the branches so that the tree doesn't get blown over, the branches on the ground aren't going anywhere

cjel Sun 27-Oct-13 22:45:41

Wind and rain started here, I spent yesterday putting garden stuff in shed/garage. Couldn't lift pots etc. Hadn't though the shed may go though. I am nearly on the bristol Channel they reckon here between 2am and 6am. And both bridges shut at night. Hoping I sleep through it and wake up to deal with whatever has happened refreshed. Have normal shopping being delivered between 8 and 9 am hopefully.

DeckSwabber Sun 27-Oct-13 22:49:00

Putting loose, or breaksable stuff away is good. But sweeping leaves?

Isthisstormcomingorwhat Sun 27-Oct-13 22:54:19

I have:
Put loose stuff in the garden away
Put car in garage, but I do that mostly anyway
Charged up phones etc in case power goes
Put a torch by my bed just in case

Raining heavily here (south) but no wind yet

Isthisstormcomingorwhat Sun 27-Oct-13 22:56:42

Oh and I haven't panic bought any food so don't have much in - although we do have about 10 boxes of cereal bars (bulk purchase when they were on a good special offer) so I won't starve!

Also panicked about getting to work tomorrow as have something urgent to do......

merlin Sun 27-Oct-13 22:58:02

Drinking wine!

steppemum Sun 27-Oct-13 23:12:28

we haven't got much food in, but co-op at the end of our street, I am sure they won't run out!

Lottiedoubtie Sun 27-Oct-13 23:23:49

Still raining here but the wind has dropped!

Boardingblues Sun 27-Oct-13 23:45:10

Well I have bought into this one. Garden all packed up, DS moved to another bedroom away from chimneys (very old house!), garden drains cleared... now all hunkered down! We are a bit worried as we have big trees in the garden and some are very close to our neighbours. We had all the trees checked in the summer and they are all healthy but I would hate anything to happen. After a really quiet early evening, it is now building, I guess that was the lull before the storm!

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Mon 28-Oct-13 10:53:17

disappointing so far, bit of wind and rain overnight, shower around 9.00am now calm and sun shining. hope everyone in the areas where it has hit are ok.

Lottiedoubtie Mon 28-Oct-13 10:58:28

Few branches came down, but house and car both ok. Wheelie bins stayed upright so I think we're ok wink

Massive conifers still standing too. phew

Fakebook Mon 28-Oct-13 15:18:02

Normal amounts of wind last night, hardly any rain, been sunny and a bit of light wind today. Nothing toppled over or broken in the garden and our next door neighbours fence is really flimsy so that's a shock in itself. There were a few fallen trees around our city apparently. Mine are all still standing.

I need the "I survived the October 2013 Hurricane" t shirt.

nametakenagain Mon 28-Oct-13 15:52:15

A non-event here, too. Thankfully.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now