Storm prep?

(70 Posts)
nametakenagain Sun 27-Oct-13 18:15:22

To think it was pointless to prepare for the storm by cutting back a tree and then leave the branches on the ground?

fanjofarrow Sun 27-Oct-13 19:32:43

I have no doubt it's going to hit the area I live in hard when it eventually turns up.

Taffeta Sun 27-Oct-13 19:36:16

DH has apparently Sellotaped us into the house , so we are fully prepped. hmm

UsedToBeNDP Sun 27-Oct-13 19:36:17

I've put the garden chairs in the shed & locked the gate.

Am slightly worried about the pair of 70ft+ enormo trees in my front garden but nothing I can do beyond cross my fingers that all the big bits stay on and they stay upright.

Taffeta Sun 27-Oct-13 19:36:56

I am reminded of the Three Little Pigs.

moldingsunbeams Sun 27-Oct-13 19:37:44

Is it due to hit North West?

CostaRicaToucan Sun 27-Oct-13 20:12:50

Bet you at 2am you will not be thinking it was rubbish. Weather forecasting has improved beyond all comprehension since 1987. I think people are right to be concerned but not panicking.

OHforDUCKScake Sun 27-Oct-13 20:17:55

Exactly, its the aftermath that lasts. The storm is nothing, but if it effects electrics and theres flooding (both highly likely where I am unfortunately) that lasts days.

gobbledegook1 Sun 27-Oct-13 20:20:38

I locked the shed door and checked the chicken coop door latch was fastened properly!

From what I can gather we'll miss the worst of it where I am.

specialsubject Sun 27-Oct-13 20:23:24

the most important piece of bloody obvious advice seems to be 'don't go to the beach or go swimming in this'. And make it clear to invincible teens that it is also a stupid thing to do.

somebody already killed and lifeboat/coastguard at risk in the search.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Sun 27-Oct-13 20:32:14

Well it's not raining where I am in London and the trees are still. Which is not what the weather map says is meant to be happening.

HairyGrotter Sun 27-Oct-13 20:34:03

I'm just north of London, not a bean is happening. I'm on the 8th floor of an 11 floor building...it survived the '87 and '90 storm, here's hoping it's 3rd time lucky too wink

I've lit a candy corn candle so I'm well prepared

DontPanicMrMannering Sun 27-Oct-13 20:36:24

Am I going to lose all our garden toys, I feel woefully neglectful at this point!

Am more concerned my entire family is the other side of the bridge and they will shut it and while I look after 2 crabby kids they will be living it up in a hotel hmm

there isn't even a breeze outside tonight

FortyDoorsToNowhere Sun 27-Oct-13 20:38:26

I have my windows opened, unless this is the calm before the storm

cardibach Sun 27-Oct-13 20:40:26

THe satellite weather map says it is raining on my house now - and has been for a while. It isn't. It is also not even breezy. It could be the calm before the storm, but how can the satellite be so wring?

Coldlightofday Sun 27-Oct-13 20:42:25

I have moved my wheelie bin closer to the house and put two heavy stones on top of it.

I'm not even sure that will help.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Sun 27-Oct-13 21:38:44

Been outside to take the rubbish out. Hmmm. It's raining so that storm is looking a bit more likely.hmm

DrinkFeckArseGirls Sun 27-Oct-13 21:40:58

mouldingsunbeam I'm sure North West is safely tucked up in her cot... <sorry, couldn't resist>

nametakenagain Sun 27-Oct-13 21:44:12

There's no sign of a storm here, tbh, but I'm expecting it will arrive in the early hours. I am sure that it was worth me chopping up those branches for two hours. Really, I am convinced. I am.

Topseyt Sun 27-Oct-13 21:57:49

Not much sign of it here yet. Perhaps some breeze, but not what I would call a "storm". We shall see.

Lottiedoubtie Sun 27-Oct-13 22:01:09

Heavy rain and wind that's still within the bounds of normal here.

Going to bed with a torch just in case.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Sun 27-Oct-13 22:09:08

Rains just started in London town. It's not pissing down, mind.

cantspel Sun 27-Oct-13 22:14:18

Pissing down on the south coast and the wind is beginning to get up.

I have put my kindle on charge now just in case the electric goes so i can at least read while i watch the storm tonight.

PelvicFloorClenchReminder Sun 27-Oct-13 22:25:09

The wind is getting up here in Cornwall. No worse than it was last night yet though.

MrsWembley Sun 27-Oct-13 22:27:51

I'm here on Storm Watch.grin

I missed the last two by being in the wrong place at the right time, so this one feels a bit exciting! DP thinks it might turn out to be a bit of a damp/dry squib...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now