to wonder why Liz Jones hates Mothers, especially sahm's, so much?

(131 Posts)
usuallyright Sun 27-Oct-13 18:00:16

from the daily mail:
(Poisonous and bitter even by LJ standards)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2477686/Cooing-cute-cot-sheets-NOT-mothers-main-job.html

MrsSchadenfreude Sun 27-Oct-13 18:00:53

Jealous? smile

AnyoneforTurps Sun 27-Oct-13 18:03:04

1) DM article
2) By a notorious nutjob

Who cares?

bundaberg Sun 27-Oct-13 18:03:34

because she wanted kids and never had them

because she has a column to write and can't think of anything new

because she knows the daily mail and their readers like it?

gordyslovesheep Sun 27-Oct-13 18:06:03

because it pays her bills

Jengnr Sun 27-Oct-13 18:09:45

She hates women full stop, especially herself.

alarkthatcouldpray Sun 27-Oct-13 18:10:35

Because she feels that being a SAHM is anti feminism.

Actually I think she feels being a mum is anti feminism.

The stuff she wrote about her own mum is particularly distasteful.

TheCrackFoxFucker Sun 27-Oct-13 18:10:40

She has written a variation of the same article about 20 times now. Probably just ran out of ideas.

Topseyt Sun 27-Oct-13 18:11:00

Both Liz Jones and the Daily Mail know that it will sell papers and bring in a reaction.

At best she is a fruitloop. Isn't she the one who used to buy evian water for her horses and finest muesli for chickens/rats or something years ago. She wonders why she is near to penniless when apparently she earns around £100k.

LittleBairn Sun 27-Oct-13 18:11:30

Bitterness at never being one herself.

Ememem84 Sun 27-Oct-13 18:14:04

Because she's a d******g.

She is jealous - if you read more of her stuff there is a common thread running through them about how she wanted children but has ended up childless through circumstance. She's heartbroken that her relationship didn't work, that her husband was (apparently) a selfish twat who bled her dry financially and that she is now divorced and too old to have a child. Instead of trying to deal with that and accept it, it is much easier to take pot shots at mothers - the sniping is only to disguise the desperate longing that she has because they have what she wants and will never have. It's part of the reason that she throws everything she has into her animals - the nurturing and maternal instinct which she'd hoped to lavish on a child, she invests in her dogs and hens and horses.

I feel sorry for her. Her childhood was ruined by anorexia, which has tainted every part of her life from puberty onwards. She is is filled with self-loathing and has no self-esteem. Her choice of career - fashion - did nothing to help and probably just magnified her issues as youthfulness, prettiness and thinness are all deified; anyone who doesn't meet those isn't good enough and should be ashamed of themselves for not having the willpower/self-discipline/money to try harder. Most women's magazines flourish on fostering self-hatred and encourage their readers to identify "flaws", which can be cured if money is thrown at them, as the flawed woman will magically be happier and therefore worthy of love.

She writes well - I actually like her self-deprecating style. But she is trapped in a vicious cycle whereby her life has become a public car crash and she cannot stop writing about it. I think that she admitted this at last year's MN blog seminar - that she wished she hadn't got into writing these kind of articles but now couldn't stop. It's more of a reflection on the Mail and the misogyny that Paul Dacre actively encourages. The Mail hates women that don't fit its ideals of a 1950's housewife. However the Mail also likes its circulation figures and Liz is provocative and will get the internet frothing and those page clicks going.

Nanny0gg Sun 27-Oct-13 18:15:57

Wonder what her sisters think?

Even to sell papers I don't see the need for quite that level of vitriol.

Sparklingbrook Sun 27-Oct-13 18:16:20

Because she is crackers?

Elsiequadrille Sun 27-Oct-13 18:18:11

Agree, this article is just a variation of the same one she's written a dozen times before. Makes for dull reading, Liz.

She always claims to be penniless, too. And yes, she desperately wanted to be a mother at one time (she thinks our memories short, perhaps)

fanjofarrow Sun 27-Oct-13 18:19:42

I despise Liz Jones and her insipid, nonsensical wittering. I'm convinced she's an obnoxious professional troll. The original Sam Brick. angry

kim147 Sun 27-Oct-13 18:23:24

The Mail has a lot of professional trolls.

HeywoodMonkey Sun 27-Oct-13 18:27:08

I once read that she was so eager to conceive ( whilst her husband was not) she contemplated stealing his sperm. When she wrote the inevitable article, her nickname in the office became Jiz Loans.

KissesBreakingWave Sun 27-Oct-13 18:27:50

The Mail is nothing BUT professional trolls. They provoke, get a reaction that drags in a zillion clicks on their site, and use the resulting traffic numbers to sell advertising.

bundaberg Sun 27-Oct-13 18:29:08

I also imagine that she is the kind of person who regularly googles herself. She must come across a LOT of these MN threads and sit there being outraged at us... hence the vitriol against all mums.

anyway, if you're reading this Liz... get a fucking grip!

kim147 Sun 27-Oct-13 18:30:14

And the same to Katie H as well. Because no doubt you read MN as well.

ladymariner Sun 27-Oct-13 18:30:27

Excellent post haunted

fanjofarrow Sun 27-Oct-13 18:35:51

Agreed kim - La Hopkins is so obviously a troll, I'm amazed anyone bothers getting wound up by the tripe she spouts anymore!

kim147 Sun 27-Oct-13 18:39:05

I think some of these trolls will lose their appeal soon. There can only be so much bile that can come out of their mouths.

Isn't there?

PlatinumStart Sun 27-Oct-13 18:41:48

Exactly what haunted said.

Years ago when she was editor at Marie Claire she was articulate and witty and I admired her enormously despite being about 12

I don't suppose she imagined how tragic her life would become sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now