to think ds does not need to say 'mum' and I say 'yes' each time he says something to me

(47 Posts)
daphnesglasses Sun 27-Oct-13 15:15:41

grin bless him.

if I don't say yes he says mum again till I say yes and then says the thing

Hulababy Mon 28-Oct-13 09:29:42

I have this not jut at home with DD, but also all day when I'm at work with Mrs .... Over and over too!

I do think when they are very little it's just a way of making contact. The poster who said "you haven't thought what to say" yet was spot on. In fact when I think back DS rarely had anything to say, it was like a verbal hand hold.
Two teenagers now and they yell "mum" from their room. I usually answer very quietly " I am downstairs, come here if you wish to speak to me"

mynameisnotmichaelcaine Mon 28-Oct-13 07:18:06

My ds prefixes most utterances with "Hang on, Mummy" or "But, Mummy?" Deeply irritating. I have taken to ignoring him until he just says what he wants to say.

ZingWantsCake Sun 27-Oct-13 21:46:42

mum
yes
I want to cuddle you
but you are already cuddling me
but mum I want cuddle you!
confused ok grin

ironmansmum Sun 27-Oct-13 21:32:28

My son's fav is to make me feel guilty! (He's 4 and a bit so pretty sure it's not intentional). He'll shout to me when I'm getting his tea ready etc "muuuuummy?" and I snap back "yes??" (bearing in mind this has happened every minute for the last hour even though I have been sitting next to him lol) and then he replies "you are the best mum! love you!".
How rubbish do I feel? Totally agree, it's the boys and they are little monkeys!!

hugoagogo Sun 27-Oct-13 21:03:39

Motherhood is like that isn't it?

ds (15) was a late talker and I longed for him to call me 'mummy' of course when he finally did; the novelty quickly wore off and I just wished to listen to my own thoughts for a bit. thlconfused

daphnesglasses Sun 27-Oct-13 20:57:55

smile that's nice guiltypleasures I'm so sorry about your daughter. Thankyou it's a reminder just to enjoy these phases and be grateful

Guiltypleasures001 Sun 27-Oct-13 20:52:17

My son is 15 and still does it, I lost a daughter 18yrs ago and never thought at the time I would here that word. Even now literally every time i hear it from him the novelty value never diminishes.

daphnesglasses Sun 27-Oct-13 20:49:28

grin grin scabby

daphnesglasses Sun 27-Oct-13 20:48:50

gullygirl yes I occasionally get 'dad.. I mean mum' grin
does seem to be more ds that dd doing it by very unreliable straw poll of this thread

ScabbyOozingCarbuncle Sun 27-Oct-13 20:48:02

I hate to say this, but my 17yo DS still does this! hmm confused grin
An average Scabby:Ds phone call begins...
S: Hello?
DS: Hello?
S:Hello?
DS: Hello!.....
DS: Muum...
S: Son?

Every flipping phone call!

daphnesglasses Sun 27-Oct-13 20:47:01

aww hugoagogo food for thought yes better enjoy it while it lasts - always helps to share on MN and know there are others smile bless them all (seems sweet now they're in bed grin)

Gullygirl Sun 27-Oct-13 20:45:50

DS1 ..."and Mum..."
DS2.."Dad...I mean Mum.."
Both of them,"M u u u um."

hugoagogo Sun 27-Oct-13 20:28:21

Hooray You have made3 me realise dd (11) has stopped doing this thlgrin.

But, she is my 'little one'-no one will ever do it again. thlsad thlhmm

CeliaFate Sun 27-Oct-13 20:19:56

YANBU, my dc do this mid-conversation too.

gobbledegook1 Sun 27-Oct-13 20:12:32

My DS (4) does this too, it can be a bit irritating at times.

mewmeow Sun 27-Oct-13 19:41:12

Yanbu sad
'i want mummy to do that' 'i want mummy to do this' 'im waiting for mummy' 'muuum?! watch Thomas with me' 'muuum?! i've done a wee on the floor' 'muuum?! im angry/my tummy hurts/ im hungy/im tired/i need this/ i want this/ give me this'
The torture never stops..

weneedtotalkaboutkettles Sun 27-Oct-13 19:20:35

Hehe, I used to do this.

Both my dad and brother use my first name a LOT, though, and it can be annoying!

SharpLily Sun 27-Oct-13 19:18:05

Not only that, carlajean, but I've seen children get told off for interrupting if they just start to speak without being given some kind of permission. That 'mum' isn't just what the very annoying Martin Amis has explained so well, it's them trying to follow instructions. My niece has always done it and it's annoying, but I find myself wondering what she's supposed to do when she's trying to get her mother's attention but basically being ignored? She says 'mum' - no answer, so she repeats, no answer and so on. If she just goes ahead and speaks, she gets told off for speaking without being spoken to. If she, in effect, asks for permission to speak, she gets ignored.

2kidsintow Sun 27-Oct-13 19:17:25

OMG - my 9 year old does this and it drives me (and my DH) bonkers.
For me it's the long pause that follows the "Mum.........." and the pause after I've said yes before she then says what was on her mind that drives her mad.

carlajean Sun 27-Oct-13 19:08:28

Martin Amis, at the beginning of The Information, wrote
'-Dad.
This was my older son, Louis, then aged eleven.
-Yes?
My dad would have said '....yes?' With a dip in it, to signal mild but invariable irritation. I once asked him why he did this and he said 'well, I'm already here, aren't I?'.For him, the Dad-yes?interlude was a clear redundancy, because we were in the same room together and established as having some kind of conversation, however desultory (and unenlivening from his point of view). I saw what he meant, but 5 minutes later I would find myself saying 'dad'. And then I would brace myself for an especially vehement affirmative. I was a teenager before I broke the habit. Children need a beat of time , to secure attention while the thought is framed.

I think that he hit the nail on the head there.

SausageDogGeorge Sun 27-Oct-13 18:51:44

My DD does this even when I'm sat right next to her...drives me crazy!! She's 8 and I'm now trying to 'train' her not to do it - I've told her she doesn't have to say 'mum' and wait for me to say 'yes' before every. single. sentence!!....but she still does. DS age 11 doesn't do it anymore (thank goodness!)

Iwaswatchingthat Sun 27-Oct-13 18:49:26

I get "Mummy can I tell you something?"

I have to confirm "yes" or the question just gets repeated over and over and over again.

I don't understand why she does not just start speaking.

happinessisfree Sun 27-Oct-13 18:46:42

My 8 year old daughter still does this and if I dont answer quick enough she says my name instead

ProfYaffle Sun 27-Oct-13 18:45:08

Oh Lordy, am I not the only one then?! Both my dd's do this, at least dd1 (9) does it when she wants to ask something specific. dd2 (6) is of the "Mum?", "yes?", "........", "what dd2?", "can ... um ... is ....", "WHAT?!", "I love you" persuasion.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now