To want to buy a house next to train tracks

(17 Posts)
ThankGodForDummies Sun 27-Oct-13 10:24:17

Viewed a really nice (and more importantly affordable) house but it backs onto railway tracks, where they are putting in additional tracks for Crossrail.

Will the increased train activity actually devalue the house once Crossrail starts? I am a bit clueless about these things.

Would appreciate any thoughts or advice.

I would love to put an offer down, husband thinks I am BU.

Are you buying the house to live in or to just sell on? If you want to live in it does it matter if it devalues?

I like the sound of trains clattering past, so it wouldn't bother me.

whitefeathers Sun 27-Oct-13 10:28:34

A second one who lives on the railway and loves it, I actually find it relaxing.

edam Sun 27-Oct-13 10:29:28

I quite like the noise of trains - MIL's garden backs onto train tracks and it doesn't bother anyone (mind you, there's a ruddy big embankment between her garden and the station).

It would bother some people, though. Crossrail means trains will be very frequent. Not sure if it would devalue the house, but it may put some buyers off. Which might be an opportunity for you but also mean fewer offers when you come to sell.

CrispyFB Sun 27-Oct-13 10:29:30

I lived in a flat that backed onto Fratton station in Portsmouth for a few years. What I didn't realise at the time was that it was also a goods yard, and the depot. So all night they had the engines on as they cleaned the trains and there was constant noise. We lived with it though. In comparison, just backing onto a railway line with trains passing through (i.e. not stopping) I'm sure would be fine. As to whether the increase in rail traffic affects the price I am not sure, I would guess not but hopefully somebody who actually has more of a clue than my uneducated guess will be along shortly!

edam Sun 27-Oct-13 10:30:17

ooh, is there a station very nearby? That might add value rather than subtract with the extra services from Crossrail.

Preciousbane Sun 27-Oct-13 10:38:05

There was a long thread in the property section about buying a house backing on to train tracks. I'm rubbish at linking but have a look. I looked at a house recently but turned out the house actually shook as the track was by the side so did put me off. I have lived with a track at the bottom of the garden and that was fine.

Sokmonsta Sun 27-Oct-13 10:40:41

If the house is everything you want, you plan on living there a long while and don't mind the noise of trains, I would go for it. Visit at different times of the day/night just to be sure the noise won't bother you.

We missed out on new build houses right next to the train tracks. Were lovely houses and I was brought up very near to tracks so find the noise comforting. But many of the people who moved in complained about the noise, even though the railways wasn't found to be in breach of any noise levels. So the reality may be very different to the dream.

Cookethenook Sun 27-Oct-13 10:42:19

I grew up 3 doors down from a train track. 4 trains an hour and I can honestly say that we never noticed them. The only time we did was when I used to have friends round who would get really excited by the trains going past!

SavoyCabbage Sun 27-Oct-13 10:43:54

I like living near train tracks. I like the noise and the feeling that something is going on in the world.

Tabliope Sun 27-Oct-13 11:30:11

I think it depends on whether it's a high speed train or local train. The latter wouldn't bother me, the high speed would.

Mandy2003 Sun 27-Oct-13 11:42:33

I lived 10 metres from the Stansted Express line in Hackney. My house was Victorian with flexible mortar. The only thing I don't recommend is trying to play Jenga - too shaky when a train goes by!

When I sold I don't think the price was any less than houses further from the railway.

ThankGodForDummies Sun 27-Oct-13 12:31:44

Thanks for your input, I am looking at it as a place to live for a good while, and the noise didn't bother me (was there when a train went past). I've lived on a main road for years I'm used to sirens, buses, drunken louts.

Husband is too cautious to put down an offer in case house devalues as he aspires to live in a better area eventually and is worried the property won't go up enough in value to allow this (we are first time buyers by the way). Or will be difficult to sell.

I'll show him this thread so he can see I'm not being totally unreasonable!

Fakebook Sun 27-Oct-13 12:35:56

My Mum's Aunt lives next to a train track. It brings back good childhood memories waiting for the sound of the train to go by whenever I go there now. It wasn't excessive and she's lived there her whole life. I think the house has increased in value anyway as its on a very posh road somewhere in Surrey.

ChairmanMeoww Sun 27-Oct-13 13:06:18

Is it Forest Gate?

Pobblewhohasnotoes Sun 27-Oct-13 13:18:06

We have a train track at the back of us. It has quiet electric trains running along it, one every half hour. It's fine. Living near a station can push your house price up.

I think as a previous poster said, if you are near a station it will actually increase the desirability of it.
I think it will be fine as any decrease I value will have taken place as soon as the route was confirmed about ten years ago!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now