Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

AIBU to be irritated at dp's weird twisting of conversations?

(22 Posts)
InsultingBadger Sun 27-Oct-13 00:20:30

So the conversation went..

Me - 'I really must stop going to bed so late'
Dp - 'Well go to bed earlier then!'
Me - 'well yes, that is what I meant'
Dp - 'how am I supposed to know, you didn't say that!'
Me -'I thought it was fairly self explanatory that to avoid a late night I would have an early night...'
Dp -'you always twist everything!'

Am I being an idiot or was that just odd?

Just for the record I know this is trivial, I love him really, I think i did come across ever so slightly sarcastically at the end and I should be asleep...

SoleSorceress Sun 27-Oct-13 00:23:07

I cannot see any ywisting at all

InsultingBadger Sun 27-Oct-13 00:25:44

Oh shock Really? He got quite annoyed that I hadn't spelled out what I meant when I thought by saying i need to stop going to bed late automatically implied I need to go to bed early..

Oh forget it, I need to go to sleep!

Thatisall Sun 27-Oct-13 00:27:02

hmm

InsultingBadger Sun 27-Oct-13 00:29:32

hmm

HildaOgden Sun 27-Oct-13 00:34:19

Get some sleep,you're both snappy with tiredness.

ToffeeWhirl Sun 27-Oct-13 00:34:33

I can see what you meant, Insulting. You were clearly implying that you needed to go to bed earlier and didn't need him to spell it out for you!

InsultingBadger Sun 27-Oct-13 00:34:37

Agreed!

ToffeeWhirl Sun 27-Oct-13 00:35:05

But clearly no need to LTB wink.

InsultingBadger Sun 27-Oct-13 00:35:26

Thanks Toffee smile
Trivial but irritating...

ToffeeWhirl Sun 27-Oct-13 00:37:10

Exactly. smile

Trills Sun 27-Oct-13 00:37:43

That's not twisting, that's making conversation.

Me - 'I really must stop going to bed so late' (subtext: I should go to bed earler)
Dp - 'Well go to bed earlier then!' (subtext: so what's stopping you going to bed earlier?)

InsultingBadger Sun 27-Oct-13 00:44:51

Yes Trills, I suppose you're right. Hadn't looked at it like that. I do often get on the defensive as dp can be fairly critical

lisianthus Sun 27-Oct-13 06:02:37

I don't know about twisting your words, but I'd get pretty annoyed if someone just took everything I said (assuming from what you said that this is a pretty common occurrence) rephrased it, then sold it back to me as the solution to my problem. I'm afraid I would respond with a facepalm and an amazed "Heavens! Why didn't I think of that!"

InsultingBadger Sun 27-Oct-13 08:56:22

Lisianthus - that's exactly what he does!! But I forgive him for now as he has left me in bed and got up with dd smile

InsultingBadger Sun 27-Oct-13 08:59:04

Eg 'ouch I've hurt my finger'
Dp - 'well be careful then'

Do you think maybe I was?!

Me -'I need some milk'
'Well go to the shop then!' Er duh, ya think!

Very minor but very tedious!

DreaduCated Sun 27-Oct-13 09:08:15

I used to have an ex like this. It was very tedious.

DoYourKegels Sun 27-Oct-13 19:54:26

The other day I was explaining why I was upset about the fact my DB and SIL gets loads of support and I don't. I listed out all the things they have and then ended with, 'And it just sucks!' and cried. blush.

My H helpfully said, "No, it doesn't suck. It doesn't suck for them. It just sucks for you that you don't have it.'

Um...? OF COURSE THAT IS WHAT I MEANT YOU DUMBASS!

PhallicGiraffe Sun 27-Oct-13 20:01:02

You have to understand that he's not twisting your words, he is just being male. Men like it 'fix' things, he is offering a solution to your problem. Whereas you are just stating a fact, hoping to get some empathy. You won't get it, what you will get is advice.

DreaduCated Sun 27-Oct-13 20:02:33

I don't think you can call it advice. Advice is supposed to be helpful. And I don't buy into that 'just being male' stuff.

HumphreyCobbler Sun 27-Oct-13 20:04:52

this would drive me mad

DoYourKegels Sun 27-Oct-13 20:24:38

I understand my husband is extremely literal. I make allowances and concessions all the time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now