To think we should ban sexist countries from the olympics

(12 Posts)
HettiePetal Sun 27-Oct-13 01:25:10

Saudi Arabia would rather women had not been involved at all. But this would have meant not being able to take part, so they grudgingly allowed it with this proviso which made it clear that, really and truly, the men were still in charge.

This is a country which is far too rich and powerful to give a shite whether the international community thinks they look like twats. They believe what they believe VERY strongly and if the West doesn't agree, then the West is wrong.

AgentZigzag Sun 27-Oct-13 01:13:47

It says to me they know they look like twats in the eyes of the international community and found a way to paper over the cracks being involved but only for moral guidance.

HettiePetal Sun 27-Oct-13 01:10:36

Saudi officials would ensure that their involvement did not violate Islamic sharia law'

angry FFS.

Makes me worry about what they may have had to face when they got home.

AgentZigzag Sun 27-Oct-13 01:05:12

In 2012 the Saudi Olympic Committee president Prince Nawaf bin Faisal said 'he was “not endorsing” female participation in London as part of the country’s official delegation' but 'if women entered on their own, Saudi officials would ensure that their involvement did not violate Islamic sharia law'.

Mmm glad he was able to clear that up.

caroldecker Sun 27-Oct-13 00:57:11

The 2012 olympics banned countries that did not allow female athletes

DevonCiderPunk Sun 27-Oct-13 00:45:05

...where would that leave female Saudi athletes?

Onesleeptillwembley Sun 27-Oct-13 00:39:50

So then what if we'd been banned for illegally invading another country? Where do you draw the line?

HettiePetal Sat 26-Oct-13 23:57:00

I take your point - but I don't agree.

One of the great thing about the last Olympics was seeing Saudi women marching proudly along in their teams.

Actually all women, worldwide.

If you ban these countries we won't see that again - and it's important that we do.

AgentZigzag Sat 26-Oct-13 23:21:23

The Olympics is supposed to transcend the differences, but then what's the difference between that bollocks from the Saudi's and the apartheid in South Africa.

Or is that an unfair comparison?

Wiki says South Africa were banned from the Olympics from 1964 until 1992, so some things are definitely judged to be beyond the pale.

I read that story earlier, it's akin to when they used to say women going to university would damage their ability to have babies.

WTF??

I'd like to see one of the 'men' saying this shit being ripped to shreds on a MN live chat thing.

Euphemia Sat 26-Oct-13 23:17:01

Are you my DH? We had this very conversation today!

YANBU

Sallyingforth Sat 26-Oct-13 23:16:09

But where would you stop? A very large number of countries have human rights abuses of one sort or another. There wouldn't be any Olympics any more.

ReallyTired Sat 26-Oct-13 22:46:13

Women have very limited rights in Saudi Arabia. For example they are not allowed to drive and should be accompained by a male chaperone. I feel that the oppression of women is worse than appartite in South Africa. It is not OK to use Islam as an excuse for such appauling human rights abuses.

This logic for women not driving has to be the nuttiest thing I have never read.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-24323934

It would be funny if it wasn't for the fact that women are suffering because of lack of rights.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now