to be looking forward to a big storm

(71 Posts)
PMDD Sat 26-Oct-13 16:58:57

I just love extreme weather. I love deep snow, very heavy rain, blazing sunshine. I really want a massive 1987esque storm. We live in East Sussex, what are my chances?

sheridand Sat 26-Oct-13 20:44:26

I live in the Fens. Nothing at all to stop a gust of wind, for 80 odd miles. No hedges, no trees, just flat, flat land. I'm dreading it! I can kiss goodbye to my shed, I think!

Morloth Sat 26-Oct-13 20:47:20

There is beauty in the extreme.

One of the reasons I moved back to Australia was that I missed the extreme weather.

Even the fires (which I was personally affected by) have their beauty.

sheldor Sat 26-Oct-13 20:51:52

Its chucking it down and really strong winds here.God knows what it's going to be like tommorow.Wind is the only weather that actually scares me.Love thunder and lightening

Fakebook Sat 26-Oct-13 20:54:02

Kirjava, no way! I've never heard of that. I'm due in 2 weeks.

Geckos48 Sat 26-Oct-13 20:56:27

Wind is really picking up here

Beansprout30 Sat 26-Oct-13 21:01:38

I reckon they got the wrong night! Sounds like the storm has already rocked up here

littlemisssarcastic Sat 26-Oct-13 21:07:48

Where are you Beansprout30 and Geckos48?

Beansprout30 Sat 26-Oct-13 21:12:18

Gloucestershire

MotheringShites Sat 26-Oct-13 21:20:21

In 87 a girl at my school died. Her name was Emma. YABU.

Geckos48 Sat 26-Oct-13 21:29:47

South Wiltshire.

Beansprout30 Sat 26-Oct-13 21:33:16

Im already shitting myself I hate strong winds

Geckos48 Sat 26-Oct-13 22:09:27

We are off out early tomorrow to stock up on candles and enough food to last a couple of days.

Also going to buy some bottled water, we have a woodburning stove so we can make food if we need to on there and we will definitely survive a power-out etc.

I think its going to be a bigun.

Tanith Sat 26-Oct-13 22:29:46

I'm one of the few people who was actually outdoors in that storm in '87.

I was coming home from work after a late shift. I could barely see to drive. When I eventually got home, I couldn't open my door to get out of the car - it took me a good 10-15 minutes of shoving before I managed it. I was promptly blown over in the road by the wind and struggled to my house, being knocked down by the wind twice more.

When I got up next day, I saw how lucky I'd been. There were upended trees, a huge oaktree branch was hanging over my car. I walked into work - roads were closed - and there were more upended trees, roofs and chimneys were damaged, sheds blown down, garages collapsed...

We've had bad storms since. I was out in another one a few years later in '92 or '93. I've never known anything as bad as the '87 one, though.

pianodoodle Sat 26-Oct-13 22:35:48

We are off out early tomorrow to stock up on candles and enough food to last a couple of days

I'm more frightened of candles than strong winds unfortunately! When I was little and we had power cuts I used to hate seeing lit candles everywhere and still don't like it for some reason. I'll stock up on torch batteries instead smile

Tanith Sat 26-Oct-13 22:43:40

I remember the power cuts, too.
Once my mum got so desperate for a cup of coffee that she gathered up all the candles and tried to heat a pan of water with them. The electricity came back before it was luke-warm grin

SigmundFraude Sat 26-Oct-13 22:44:13

YABU. My kids are v. excited about Halloween and will be gutted if they can't go Trick or Treating (or just treating, as it usually is). I'm hoping it doesn't come early.

I'm not too sure about the negative comments re. fatalities. Obviously they are a tragedy, but I look forward to snow, dreaming of a white x'mas etc...and loads of people have frozen to death or crashed and died in it. I don't think it should be taboo or chastise worthy to say you like big storms.

manticlimactic Sat 26-Oct-13 22:47:27

Every time I read the words 'the great storm' i can't help thinking of that Vicar of Dibley scene where they're all arguing about which was the great storm and what it was called blush grin

Lazysuzanne Sat 26-Oct-13 22:55:20

I remember the 87 storm vividly, I was very heavily pregnant, baby was born a few days later.

I'm not looking forward to this one in the slightest, I like a thunderstorm but hurricane force winds are extremely alarming, I hope it turns out to be not as bad as has been predicted!

PBeanandGone Sat 26-Oct-13 23:05:34

YABU. I'm actually scared. 8 Week old DD, horse living out. In 87 my grandparents had a tree fall on their house. I used to like extreme weather but not any more. I feel too anxious to sleep.

Thunder and lightening is exciting but big storms and 90 miles an hour winds are dangerous.

Nombrechanger Sat 26-Oct-13 23:30:02

I am actually shitting myself and I know I won't sleep a wink until its all over.

YANBU because you enjoy it but its not for me.

Darkesteyes Sat 26-Oct-13 23:33:31

Our HA put scaffolding all round our flat last Monday so im not looking forward to this at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now