to be looking forward to a big storm

(71 Posts)
PMDD Sat 26-Oct-13 16:58:57

I just love extreme weather. I love deep snow, very heavy rain, blazing sunshine. I really want a massive 1987esque storm. We live in East Sussex, what are my chances?

kali110 Sat 26-Oct-13 18:31:10

No not looking forward to it, brings on more severe migraines

Some people like extreme weather, I don't think that mean they like to see anyone hurt. Lots of people loved the extreme heat in the summer, or snow last year, there were casualties with both, but people still love. I can see what OP means.

My feeling is it will hit and then turn into a wet lettuce leaf, but have asked Dh to move the car away from the tree just in case.

fluffyduckie Sat 26-Oct-13 18:33:28

"I really want a massive 1987esque storm."

Wow - seriously? It is one thing to like snow and a bit of thunder and lightening but it is quite another to be wishing a storm like that on people.

So long as you are safe in your cosy home and aren't one of the people dying, being injured, and having damage to property.

Spirulina Sat 26-Oct-13 18:37:00

Jeez.... Storms take lives. What a ridiculous thread

lobsterkiller Sat 26-Oct-13 18:37:36

My mum and dad are flying back from Spain on Monday. Ive only just realised and now im starting to worry.

everlong Sat 26-Oct-13 18:47:31

piano don't be picky, it's obvious what worra meant and given the content of her post it's understandable why she would feel like that.

KirjavaTheCorpse Sat 26-Oct-13 18:50:15

Storms are brilliant, as long as nobody's losing their home/life. Which with the scale of storm that's being predicted, is unlikely sad

Iamsparklyknickers Sat 26-Oct-13 18:52:01

Lobsterkiller don't worry, the airlines will be cautious and not fly/divert to avoid bad weather, especially stuff like this that is well known in advance.

OP YA/YANU to enjoy weather in it's extremes - lots of people do, but it's worth remembering that lots of people have particular worries when we get a dose of a particular extreme.

Flooding, freezing, slips, heatstroke etc and with the current forecast now people will be worried about their properties, power and falling trees. Personally I'm concerned my fathers roof can't take a battering and neither he or I can afford to repair any damage quickly. Pretty sure insurance classes it as an act of god? Makes no difference the excess alone would probably cripple me right now.

It's lovely if you can find something to enjoy in it all, but know your audience before you start reveling in it.

lobsterkiller Sat 26-Oct-13 19:05:57

Thanks for the reassurance Iamsparklyknickers. x

Fakebook Sat 26-Oct-13 19:18:54

Will it be hitting the south east? I don't want to suddenly go into labour during it. It should be safe to drive during it shouldn't it?

Bowlersarm Sat 26-Oct-13 19:22:46

Yabu.

We have to take a flight and I'm scared out of my wits. I hate flying at the best of times.

pianodoodle Sat 26-Oct-13 19:33:48

everlong yes that's fair enough but if you're replying to someone it isn't really fair to quote text that doesn't exist.

WorraLiberty Sat 26-Oct-13 19:48:26

Ok I apologise piano by 'great' I meant 'big' and shouldn't have quoted it.

The OP is still wishing for a 'massive' storm and given the death and destruction caused in 1987 (a year she spoke of herself) I think she's BVU.

MrsBramleyApple Sat 26-Oct-13 19:54:31

In the great storm of 1987 I was terrified of the high winds etc. My Dad's beautiful Reading Gypsy Wagon had a barn collapse on top of it and when the electric board eventually re-connected our electric they did it wrong resulting in several electrical items blowing and an almost fire as a result of a red hot element in the airing cupboard. On top of that they managed to leave a patch of ground completely live meaning whoever trod on it (no one did thankfully) would have been killed! shock

Dawnywoo Sat 26-Oct-13 19:54:53

I like a good 'stotting down' downpour with a bit of thunder and lightning, but winds really scare me. plus, my conservatory leaks. I wouldn't say I enjoy extreme weather but I get that it can be exciting. ultimately though, I worry about the danger involved to humankind.

pigsDOfly Sat 26-Oct-13 20:00:06

I also live in East Sussex and was at the beach today. The sea was pretty wild and impressive I have to say, but can't say I'm thrilled at the idea of a massive storm. I find the idea a bit scary tbh.

pianodoodle Sat 26-Oct-13 20:08:54

I'm sorry too worra

I'm a pretty big weather enthusiast in that I get quite excited but I like to stay safe and for other people to be safe at the same time.

I wouldn't actually be hoping for a storm like 1987 tbf I agree not the best idea to quote that.

I don't think they are putting this one on a par with that at the minute, from what I've read.

KirjavaTheCorpse Sat 26-Oct-13 20:11:08

Fakebook I'm worrying about the same thing. Due in 8 days but they say storms bring it on! Hope not.

sheldor Sat 26-Oct-13 20:12:04

I'm not looking foward to it as i have stuff in my garden i canno't store as my shed is too small due to dps sons dumping thier stuff in it theres no space for chairs etc.Just have to put most stuff under kids massive trampoline.Quite windy in South west.

cantspel Sat 26-Oct-13 20:15:42

I am on the coast of west sussex and no i am not looking forward to the storm. I am surrounded by 180 year old oak trees and i am wondering which on might hit my house.

farrowandbawl Sat 26-Oct-13 20:20:34

I get what you mean and I agree with you. I do wish we were having some of it, even if it's only to stop my neighbours setting off fireworks.

myroomisatip Sat 26-Oct-13 20:22:50

I too think a huge storm is great! However I also pray that no one gets hurt!

I was on a ferry in '87, trying to get out of Calais. It was bedlam and in the end the wind was so strong the captain (thankfully) gave up! I dread to think what that journey would have been like since bottles were crashing, luggage was sliding about and passengers were being ill, this was before we even got out of Calais! Not something I would really want to re-live!

LyannaStark Sat 26-Oct-13 20:23:48

grin at neighbours' fireworks. Mine too, the bastards.

Not looking forward to it at all, but strangely enjoying the preparation. Hope everyone stays safe.

DameDeepRedBetty Sat 26-Oct-13 20:36:56

I sort of get you OP, I find weather events a salutary reminder that we do NOT have control over our world, and the bit of me that will always be an excited child adores the snow and the thunder and lightning. But not the wind. When I was a little girl, I heard an almighty crash as I walked home from school. It was a beech tree, smashing across the road, twenty feet behind me. I've had a bit of a thing about strong winds ever since.

However as so many have already said, there are very like going to be people injured or even killed if the winds get up the way that the Met Office and (more importantly) BadBadKitten think may happen, and I do understand why some people think you're being U.

Also I do have to go to work, right in the centre of the Amber Warning, at 8 a.m.

Anyway, on balance, mostly yabu - but in a nice way and don't take it to heart!

Yep. I'll think of how pleased you are when I'm on the ferry on Monday being tossed and battered about while wondering if the things in my garden which I can't do anything about will be thrown around injuring anyone or damaging anything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now