To tell ds's teacher that the EIP is for the wrong child?

(20 Posts)
TeenyTinyDancer Sat 26-Oct-13 15:14:10

Ds1 is 5 and in year 1.

He has historically had a problem with pronounciation, making his speech very difficult to understand until the last year.
He had speech therapy from age 2 but when he started in Reception we were told he was not priority, his speech had improved greatly anyway and he would only be seen by the school speech therapist in future if space became available. Which was fine.

At the end of Reception we were advised a space was available and he would be assessed at the start of Year 1 to see if he needed further support. Again, fine.

I've just had parents evening with ds's year 1 teacher. She showed me his 'educational improvement plan' which was devised recently following an assessment by the school speech therapist.

It sounds nothing like ds. Nothing at all. It is properly typed up, his name and DOB all over it.
The things that were identified as ds's 'difficulties' were receptive language, self esteem and correctly using 'p' sounds at the start of words.

To my knowledge, receptive language is the child's understanding. Through all his therapy before we were consistently told that although his pronounciation was delayed, his comprehension and vocabulary were advanced for his age. He is very clued on, very intelligent and generally has a thirst for knowledge. I have explained all sorts of complicated things to him (about planets/Eco systems/where we get electricity from - all the random questions he asks) and he drinks it all in, asks relevant questions and remembers the information. I just can't see how school have identified 'receptive language' as a problem.

The 'p' thing - this is not and as far as I can remember never been a problem. He can and does use this sound correctly at all times.

The 'self esteem' I can't see either. He is mostly confident, passionate, can be a bit arrogant even when he's convinced he's right.

I did question the teacher on the content but I got wishy washy answers - she didn't write the plan etc. My honest feeling is that there has been a mistake and the wrong name has been put on this EIP and it's actually about a different child.

WIBU to voice this to the teacher? Or am I going to come across as PFB and one of those awful parents that thinks their child is perfect and interferes with the teachers work.

I just don't see that this is DS. Df thinks I should leave it and that they know best and errors like I'm suggesting couldn't possibly happen.

Wwyd? Aibu?

lizzzyyliveson Sat 26-Oct-13 15:18:41

The class teacher is going to be finding time each day to work on these areas so s/he definitely needs to know if they are the wrong ones. These things get written on the computer and it only takes wandering off for a cuppa to lose track of which one you are doing.

BackforGood Sat 26-Oct-13 15:28:03

Of course YANBU - just say, "When you look at it, do you think it describes ds?" and she'll probably agree with you. Easy enough to understand that there's been a mix up with the wrong targets being associated with the wrong name.
I'd ask if I could have the contact details for the SaLT to get it put right, but, if, for some reason they won't pass them on, then ask her (or SENCo) to speak to her and say "I'll call in next Thursday {or whenever} to pick up the new one" thereby setting a deadline.

Phoebe47 Sat 26-Oct-13 15:29:05

Get in touch with the Speech Therapist and discuss this with her. It does sound like she has typed the wrong name/dob etc. on this document. At the very least you need to have a discussion with this person so that your son does not receive inappropriate support that he does not need.

aroomofherown Sat 26-Oct-13 15:33:10

Senco here. Definitely raise it with the teacher/SALT, whoever wrote the plan.

You'll be pleased to know that the new Draft Code of Practice heavily emphasises parental input at all stages of SEN provision (which is just good practice anyway).

TeenyTinyDancer Sat 26-Oct-13 15:33:16

Thank you. I genuinely wasn't sure if I wbu.

It's half term now (appointment was yesterday) so i'll speak to the teacher first when they're back and possibly ask for a meeting with the SALT so we can discuss.

SofiaAmes Sat 26-Oct-13 15:33:20

I don't understand. Aren't you officially given a copy of the eip as part of the process of producing it? Wouldn't the eip coordinator (or whatever they are called these days) be the person to contact?

TeenyTinyDancer Sat 26-Oct-13 15:36:29

No, I was shown it but have had no copy. Whoever the SALT is or the SENCO, I've never met them. All communication has been through the class teacher.

BackforGood Sat 26-Oct-13 15:39:29

That's why I'd ask for the SaLT's contact details - give the impression you are helping out the overwroked class teacher, but in truth, you then have the direct contact wink

steppemum Sat 26-Oct-13 15:49:41

If you are worried about coming across as PFB, then make a list of ds actual speech issues, and then she can see that you are aware of his problems but the right ones, not the wrong ones

northlight Sat 26-Oct-13 16:05:56

Don't know where you are but in Scotland speech therapy is part of the NHS. You might be able to get this sorted out yourself- during the holiday - if you phone the appropriate unit.

teacherandguideleader Sat 26-Oct-13 16:11:30

I wouldn't have a problem with a parent raising it with me and asking me to investigate - provided they didn't have a go at me for it being wrong!

Nanny0gg Sat 26-Oct-13 18:44:47

I wouldn't have a problem with a parent raising it with me and asking me to investigate - provided they didn't have a go at me for it being wrong!

But you would have had her DC in your class for 8 weeks! This is his second year at school so records would have come up with him.

I think I'd be pretty pissed off upset if you hadn't noticed that these weren't his issues.

OP- I think the teacher fobbed you off. She should have read it and realised it was wrong before talking to you about it.

gingerbreadshoes Sat 26-Oct-13 18:57:34

Surely this needs to be brought up as a confidentiality issue as the information you were told must have been about another child?

Shellywelly1973 Sat 26-Oct-13 19:28:55

I would ask for the SALT details & contact her yourself.

This happened with my ds...but I knew it couldn't be ds paperwork as the outlined needs were nothing like ds needs.

You should have been offered a copy of the plan. Always request copies if they aren't offered. I wouldn't worry about coming across as PFB. He's your ds & you have to make sure he receives a good service from hcps.

BackforGood Sat 26-Oct-13 21:37:08

NannyOgg - it's perfectly feasible the teacher has only just been given the plan though - the OP says

"She showed me his 'educational improvement plan' which was devised recently following an assessment by the school speech therapist."

Gingerbreadshoes - but she has not details about the other child. SaLTs see many children with the same needs, and are likely to recycle targets. All the OP has are targets for a child with different needs. Annoying yes. Frustratin yes, but nobody's confidentiality has been broken, she hasn't got a plan with another child's name and dob on it.

I agree with northlight though, in that SaLTs are usually employed by NHS, so you might be able to track her down by phoning local clinic during half term. although more and more now they are been employed privately by schools, CCs, or clusters of schools, etc.

Nanny0gg Sat 26-Oct-13 21:43:12

"She showed me his 'educational improvement plan' which was devised recently following an assessment by the school speech therapist."

And as his teacher, I would have read it before the meeting, even if 5 minutes before.

BackforGood Sat 26-Oct-13 21:54:54

That's a bit different from 8 weeks though, and, neither you or I know if the teacher was actually given it 3 days before, or part way through parents evening when the SENCo came in with it.

happy2help Sat 26-Oct-13 21:56:04

The way you have described it in your OP, you don't come across as PFB at all. Just stay calm and tell it as you've told us. You don't need to feel bad about bringing it up - it's not your fault someone has messed up, more than one person in fact!
Good luck.

ballstoit Sat 26-Oct-13 22:36:14

DS and DD1 both had salt at school for speech sounds and pronunciation issues. I was in regular contact with salt as the most effective therapy is done little and often. So, the majority of their therapy was done by me, with guidance from the salt, suggestions for games to play etc.

I'd be requesting an appointment with salt and senco, in your position.Being given 2 minutes in parents evening to read a report is pretty ineffective communication, and is not getting the best results for your ds from any therapy he is having.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now