To have really lost respect for Jenni Murray

(135 Posts)
Mumsex Sat 26-Oct-13 14:58:20

NC specially for this.

DM article today (not linking to those cunts) in which she reckoned some things should not be shared even anonymously on sites such as Mumsnet. She also thinks we should be renamed "Mumsex" and questioned how pleased we would be if our male partners were talking about intimate details of our sex live and swearing on line, even anonymously.

I don't know about everyone else, but my DH is a big boy and might swear on the internet. I doubt he discusses our sex life, but if it was anonymous and he did to make someone laugh, or to help them, so what?

Jenni is shocked, even with all her knowledge of women's history grin at the swearing and the fact we share details of weirdest places we have had sex amongst other things. We also advice people to LTB at every little problem and some things should be kept in the bedroom.

Jenni, you silly cow, Mothers (they are women, you know) are as sexual as men. The chat on here and advice given has helped me have more orgasms in the last 4 moths than I have ever had in my life. That is a biggie to me. I know other Mothers (ie, women) have been helped in this way too. Should we be ashamed of liking sex, of wanting to find out more, of finding it funny, of wanting to compare notes anonymously?

LTB is not trotted out at every occasion, the pervasive tone of relationships is "take no shit". Is that so hard to understand? I thank my lucky stars every day for my DH, but I know if I had to put up with half of what is cited on some of the relationship threads, I would rather be (and would be) on my own.

So IABU is saying, STFU Jenni, and take your censorious attitude back to the 50's. I for one, won't STFU. Nice attempt to silence mothers again, and put them back in their place.

SilverOldie Mon 28-Oct-13 12:20:19

Her article was shabby. If she had spent longer than 2 minutes on here she could have written about how hugely supportive people are and the massive help and advice people receive when they are going through terrible things happening in their lives.

Mumsex Mon 28-Oct-13 12:14:05

I think this thread has already been a teeny-tiny opposing force to all the crap, trying to get us to shut in up the media. As a result of my baring my soul/making a show of myself on here, I've already had two messages from women asking about sex and orgasms. I think its really sad to try to stop people talking about sex, whether its to help another person out or to make someone laugh. How can that be harmful? If people don't want to see sex chat, no-one is forcing them, by pinning their eyelids open and putting them in front of MN.

Dang, I missed Womans Hour. I could have phoned in and told her off on air.

trish5000 Mon 28-Oct-13 11:38:54

ooh. It looks like it has had a makeover since I last looked. And there appears to be far more posters now. It was a bit like home from home, but their topics seem better organised than on here.
Didnt see much sex there today, but it does come up in conversation there. Obviously really, Jenni Murray.

ZingWantsCake Mon 28-Oct-13 11:35:06

I never heard of her until two days ago.
she lost me at hellogrin

trish5000 Mon 28-Oct-13 11:23:37

Are there sex threads on gransnet? Last time I looked, admittedly 6 months ago, it was mainly about exercise and grans not being allowed to see their grandchildren. Off to check it out.

thezoobmeister Mon 28-Oct-13 11:11:30

I use the C word several times a day in RL but never on here. We should consider the feelings of all those poor journos assigned the MN beat... <waves>

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Mon 28-Oct-13 09:57:52

Curlew cunt used to be used as a purely descriptive word. In medieval medical books . It had changed for misogynistic reasons to be a word for insult. I don't see why a word referring to my genitalia hould be so much 'worse' that one referring to male genitalia. What's the worst word you can think of for a penis? Well cunt should have no more shock value than that.But it will if we let it so I think it's time to reclaim it. Gently and slowly. And MN is a start.

ajandjjmum Mon 28-Oct-13 09:36:53

I thought it was obviously a result of 'Jenni, please write an article slating Mumsnet'. She had to scrabble round to find the mucky bits - and so what if she did, no-one is forced to read them!

It does seem pretty hypocritical though when 'being open about stuff' is what she has always encouraged.

Pan Mon 28-Oct-13 09:29:07

Though I agree there is far too much casual swearing and foul language here, which reflects badly on the site and the posters who type them, and I wish they would all just stop it.

Pan Mon 28-Oct-13 09:27:39

It adds to the notion of middle class WH, and very "British" at that. Sooo button up, AND really really unfair of her. And the fact she's taking the Daily Mail shilling at all. So many 'intersections'....so yes, less respect and an urge to demand of her "What were you thinking?"

mortuusUrsus Mon 28-Oct-13 09:21:07

Yes. And? So are lots of words, like "bitch" and "slut". It's not all "feminists throughout history ... have struggled, fought and died" for so I don't really understand what you're trying to say.

Surely the freedom to say it (and we should have the freedom to) is a byproduct of everything else that was achieved?

<<thickie emoticon>>

curlew Mon 28-Oct-13 09:06:03

It's still a misogynist swear word, wherever it's being used!

mortuusUrsus Mon 28-Oct-13 08:49:32

But MN isn't real life. I don't think "cunt" is used by women (or men) nearly as much in RL as it is on here.

curlew Mon 28-Oct-13 06:30:49

"I find it really depressing that all the feminists throughout history appear to have struggled, fought and died to gain women the freedom to use misogynist swear words.

Is that really all you believe those feminists before us have achieved?"

You'd think so if you went by Mumsnet sometimes.......

mortuusUrsus Sun 27-Oct-13 20:28:25

I find it really depressing that all the feminists throughout history appear to have struggled, fought and died to gain women the freedom to use misogynist swear words.

Is that really all you believe those feminists before us have achieved?

GreenVelvet Sun 27-Oct-13 20:18:49

I find it really depressing that all the feminists throughout history appear to have struggled, fought and died to gain women the freedom to use misogynist swear words..........

I agree with Curlew. It also makes me swear more which is a real downside of MN. I find myself saying FFS in front of my son these days, so though I think a bit of Anglo-Saxon honesty is useful at times, overall it does have a negative drip-drip effect actually.

And sometimes there is a lot of vulgarity on MN that's not half as funny as it think it is.

Re. Jenny Murray, I think she's entitled to her view and see nothing wrong with her giving her honest opinion as a journalist.

BasilFucker Sun 27-Oct-13 20:11:08

I've always loved Barbara Ellen

Mumsex Sun 27-Oct-13 19:55:34

Thanks, looking up thread, I think original credit has to go to Kim147 for linking first. I have my wine goggles on.

YY, Mignonette, my partner is more than fine about my anonymous discussions and disclosures. They have pleased him (after me, of course wink) no end.

edam Sun 27-Oct-13 19:43:25

Impressed with Barbara Ellen, thanks for the link Mumsex.

Mumsex Sun 27-Oct-13 19:38:16

You gotta love Barbara Ellen though. This is something I will link to www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/oct/27/talking-sex-on-mumsnet-not-shocking. Nice antidote to all the shite.

Kiss her ass Jenni Murray.

Perhaps someone should point the next journo in the direction of the sex threads on Gransnet - I think they might find that really hard to comprehend.

SatinSandals Sun 27-Oct-13 19:20:00

I think that MN shocks people's perception of what it is. I remember all the fuss about Gordon Brown and biscuits and it came up on 'Have I Got News For You' and Ian Hyslop dismissed it as 'a site for young mothers'. I'm sure that a lot of people see it as 20something year olds discussing potty training and which pram to buy whereas it is all ages, some men, some without children, all backgrounds and covers the whole of life. I can't see why it should leave out sex. Maybe it comes a shock to Jenni Murray that some of us are her age and not remotely interested in nappy brands!

BasilFucker Sun 27-Oct-13 18:58:15

Yeah it's funny how they don't trawl all those men's sites and discover -shock horror! -contrary to what they've believed up to now, lots of men don't believe women are equal human beings, they are actually old-school misogynist.

Not a lot on that is there?

cannotfuckingbelievethis Sun 27-Oct-13 18:15:19

When you think of some of the really, really offensive shit you can find on the internet I am actually amazed at the amount of time and effort certain "journalists" have spent slagging off a site where grown women sometimes discuss sex.

I see it like this: mothers who are open about sex will pass said openness and maturity down to their children who in turn will have the tools to make sensible choices relating to their own bodies.

How is that a bad thing?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now