Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To have really lost respect for Jenni Murray

(135 Posts)
Mumsex Sat 26-Oct-13 14:58:20

NC specially for this.

DM article today (not linking to those cunts) in which she reckoned some things should not be shared even anonymously on sites such as Mumsnet. She also thinks we should be renamed "Mumsex" and questioned how pleased we would be if our male partners were talking about intimate details of our sex live and swearing on line, even anonymously.

I don't know about everyone else, but my DH is a big boy and might swear on the internet. I doubt he discusses our sex life, but if it was anonymous and he did to make someone laugh, or to help them, so what?

Jenni is shocked, even with all her knowledge of women's history grin at the swearing and the fact we share details of weirdest places we have had sex amongst other things. We also advice people to LTB at every little problem and some things should be kept in the bedroom.

Jenni, you silly cow, Mothers (they are women, you know) are as sexual as men. The chat on here and advice given has helped me have more orgasms in the last 4 moths than I have ever had in my life. That is a biggie to me. I know other Mothers (ie, women) have been helped in this way too. Should we be ashamed of liking sex, of wanting to find out more, of finding it funny, of wanting to compare notes anonymously?

LTB is not trotted out at every occasion, the pervasive tone of relationships is "take no shit". Is that so hard to understand? I thank my lucky stars every day for my DH, but I know if I had to put up with half of what is cited on some of the relationship threads, I would rather be (and would be) on my own.

So IABU is saying, STFU Jenni, and take your censorious attitude back to the 50's. I for one, won't STFU. Nice attempt to silence mothers again, and put them back in their place.

claig Germany Sat 26-Oct-13 16:31:33

However, I do like the respect with which she treats the Daily Mail reader and I cannot fault her on that

"Please allow me to apologise to Daily Mail readers in advance for what I’m about to describe"

www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2477104/After-candidly-dealing-sex-issues-Womans-Hour-20-years-JENNI-MURRAY-felt-unshockable-Then-logged-sleazy-confessions-Mumsnet.html

ImperialFucker Sat 26-Oct-13 16:36:06

She is showing herself to be very, very out of date with that article. I don't know how she can present a programme dedicated to women's lives without looking at the way women are communicating with each other online.

I feel an email to her coming upon me.

KittensoftPuppydog Sat 26-Oct-13 16:36:26

What's the matter with her? Were we not ladylike enough?
What a cunt.

ImperialFucker Sat 26-Oct-13 16:40:04

She's not a cunt, she is just talking about things she knows nothing about.

TheCrackFoxFucker Sat 26-Oct-13 16:40:11

I thought her generation invented sex?

summertimeandthelivingiseasy Sat 26-Oct-13 16:40:20

This just seems to be yet another article dissing mumsnet as a den of iniquity.

Have the press got an axe to grind at the moment, or are they all sheep, following each other here....

As for Jenny Murray, I will give her the benefit of the doubt, since it is a daily mail article............. but if she really does believe this, she is not the open minded feminist she claims to be.

ps - where are all these threads? wink

moondog Sat 26-Oct-13 16:40:21

That awf woman who does indeed wear a curtain and stare over the top of her glasses? God who gives a toss what she of any of the other fools at radio 4 think? They are only jealous because there is more entertainment and info on mn than in any worthy NBC docymentary on Albanian feminist folk songs

trish5000 Sat 26-Oct-13 16:44:10

Like Hassled, I think you have to go looking for it to even find it, most of the time. I have been surprised, on my time on here, quite how little there is.

whats4teamum Sat 26-Oct-13 16:44:10

I have to turn off woman's hour when Jenni is on but like Jane Garvey. My mother is the reverse so perhaps a generational thing.

KittensoftPuppydog Sat 26-Oct-13 16:45:18

I was joking imperial.
I just hate her kind of twee attitude. Especially as she is writing inthe DM and apologising to DM readers for being so rude.
There are far far more offensive things to be found in the DM everyday.

ImperialFucker Sat 26-Oct-13 16:49:31

I can't get over the fact she's writing for the DM. I would have thought it represented everything she hated. Apparently it doesn't, and we do!

thebody Sat 26-Oct-13 16:54:31

moondoggrin

anyfucker is Jane Garvey???? seriously??

moondog Sat 26-Oct-13 16:55:43

I loathe radio 4 in any case. So smug. Give me Heart any day.

ImperialFucker Sat 26-Oct-13 16:55:49

Oh Christ, here's another:

Some idiot at The Independent, this time.

Love the reference to "overeducated women." Ffs.

ImperialFucker Sat 26-Oct-13 16:57:28

In the comments, someone with a woman's name says, "This website makes me ashamed to be a woman, I am surprised you haven't mentioned their anti men threads they are deplorable."

For the life of me I can't think of one thread that sets out to be anti men.

lurkinglorna Sat 26-Oct-13 16:58:03

Reckon there is, and will continue to be, a backlash against "internet independents" from more "mainstream" media sources. Seen it happening with bloggers too.

For ages, the mainstream media has been used to the privilege of being the sole source for information.

"I'm a self appointed media personality/person, so I'm the only one with a voice/opinion allowed."

Tom Peck for lifestyle journalism? FFS love, most of us don't choose to emulate the lifestyle of chubby effeminate media luvvies.

So yeah Jenni Murray would have been "the self appointed authority on women" just cause she was "out there"?

And now you have Mumsnet, which is democratic to access and post, and anonymous? Yeah there'll be a whole load of shite, but "overall" its much closer to the overall "zeitgeist" of modern UK women than "one medja luvvie".

Totally apart from the more controversial stuff, I've spent a few weeks googling career stuff and Mumsnet had the BEST information - women who'd been in the industry I want to go into presenting well informed objective points of view, with no "agenda".

claig Germany Sat 26-Oct-13 17:00:52

'I can't get over the fact she's writing for the DM. I would have thought it represented everything she hated.'

Why? Does she hate the truth?

Although, given her naivete about real people, maybe she would rather hide from the truth. She says

"And I think all of us women would be upset and angry if we felt our husbands or partners were swearing away online and dishing out intimate details of our activities to all and sundry — however anonymously."

www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2477104/After-candidly-dealing-sex-issues-Womans-Hour-20-years-JENNI-MURRAY-felt-unshockable-Then-logged-sleazy-confessions-Mumsnet.html

Has she read about what went on in New Labour in Damian McBride's book?

Does she think that men don't brag and make things up and exaggerate about sex?

Does she live in the real world or in a BBC "metropolitan class" ivory tower?

She ends by saying
"As they would put it on Mumsnet — TMI! (That’s Too Much Information, by the way!)"

I think she is suffering from TMG (too much gullibility). She needs to get out more, away from the "metropolitan classes" and get down with da peeps.

ImperialFucker Sat 26-Oct-13 17:01:58

Oh for god's sake, claig, you think the DM represents the truth?

kim147 Sat 26-Oct-13 17:03:57

Don't get Claig started on the DM grin

claig Germany Sat 26-Oct-13 17:07:51

'Oh for god's sake, claig, you think the DM represents the truth?'

and nothing but! wink

thebody Sat 26-Oct-13 17:07:55

ladies ladies what are you thinking.

I have finished darning my dear husbands socks and have a hot dinner waiting for him in the oven.

I am now going upstairs to put on my twin set and pearls and a dusting of powder and hope he won't want unnatural sex again with me tonight.

Latara Sat 26-Oct-13 17:09:48

But where are all the threads on sex?? I seem to have missed them!

I think lurkinglorna has a point - the mainstream media hate internet forums because they can't be controlled.

moondog Sat 26-Oct-13 17:11:35

Last time I read anything she read ( several years ago admittedly), it was all about how much weight she'd lost.
Right.....
I'd steer her ( in no particular order) to Ckaig for political reeducation, to S&B for advice in losing the curtain and to the low carbers for diet advice. Much more use to her tha the sex stuff.

MoominMammasHandbag Sat 26-Oct-13 17:20:59

lurkinglorna has it in a nutshell I think.
It is absolutely pathetic, all these newspaper articles about Mumsnet. It simply reeks of bandwagon jumping.

WhenSheWasBadSheWasExhausted Sat 26-Oct-13 17:22:26

I think I'm looking at the same threads as latara I never see any sex threads (must try harder)

Jenny Murray sounds ridiculously out of touch, she would have a fit if she heard my friends talking about sex after a three glass of wine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now