To have really lost respect for Jenni Murray

(135 Posts)
Mumsex Sat 26-Oct-13 14:58:20

NC specially for this.

DM article today (not linking to those cunts) in which she reckoned some things should not be shared even anonymously on sites such as Mumsnet. She also thinks we should be renamed "Mumsex" and questioned how pleased we would be if our male partners were talking about intimate details of our sex live and swearing on line, even anonymously.

I don't know about everyone else, but my DH is a big boy and might swear on the internet. I doubt he discusses our sex life, but if it was anonymous and he did to make someone laugh, or to help them, so what?

Jenni is shocked, even with all her knowledge of women's history grin at the swearing and the fact we share details of weirdest places we have had sex amongst other things. We also advice people to LTB at every little problem and some things should be kept in the bedroom.

Jenni, you silly cow, Mothers (they are women, you know) are as sexual as men. The chat on here and advice given has helped me have more orgasms in the last 4 moths than I have ever had in my life. That is a biggie to me. I know other Mothers (ie, women) have been helped in this way too. Should we be ashamed of liking sex, of wanting to find out more, of finding it funny, of wanting to compare notes anonymously?

LTB is not trotted out at every occasion, the pervasive tone of relationships is "take no shit". Is that so hard to understand? I thank my lucky stars every day for my DH, but I know if I had to put up with half of what is cited on some of the relationship threads, I would rather be (and would be) on my own.

So IABU is saying, STFU Jenni, and take your censorious attitude back to the 50's. I for one, won't STFU. Nice attempt to silence mothers again, and put them back in their place.

Feminine Sat 26-Oct-13 15:46:49

Did you have oodles of respect for her previously?

MrsCampbellBlack Sat 26-Oct-13 15:51:31

I totally see your point. But personally I don't put anything on here that I wouldn't be happy to discuss in RL or see it in the DM.

I am shocked at how much people reveal about themselves on here - its not always that anonymous.

BoneyBackJefferson Sat 26-Oct-13 15:53:48

You may not be "linking to those cunts" but surely you must have read it in the paper that "those cunts" wrote, should I be losing respect for you because you read the daily mail?

BasilFucker Sat 26-Oct-13 15:55:04

Can't disagree with any of that OP.

She is sometimes a dick, is JM.

Hassled Sat 26-Oct-13 15:56:31

Daily Mail link.

I do sort of agree with you. I'm certainly disappointed in her. She's actively sought out the sex threads - only a passing mention to any of the other topics that are discussed here all the time. And I'm baffled by the tone of disgust - isn't it good that there's somewhere people can talk frankly and anonymously about sex? It's all just so judgemental - and there's a prudishness there which just doesn't marry up with the Jenni Murray I listen to.

SharpLily Sat 26-Oct-13 15:56:49

Given that I had no respect for her in the first place, I don't feel any the poorer for having read the article. What a knob.

MrsCampbellBlack Sat 26-Oct-13 15:57:59

I do like Jane Garvey though. She mentioned something on monday's WH and she was wrong, I tweeted correcting her and she actually conceded and read out my tweek.

Can't see Jenni doing that.

SharpLily Sat 26-Oct-13 15:58:01

And I've hardly seen any sex threads in my short time here. I'm clearly missing out.

picnicbasketcase Sat 26-Oct-13 15:59:06

I'm not sure what to say about anyone who has an orgasm in a moth. I'm quite speechless.

thebody Sat 26-Oct-13 15:59:57

always loved Jane Garvey and miss her on radio 5.. much better than 'up itself radio 4'anyday.

Feminine Sat 26-Oct-13 16:02:38

picnic grin

Jenny probably has moths having sex in that piece of curtain fabric she so stylishly wears!

TheOpposibleThumb Sat 26-Oct-13 16:02:42

Picnic that's given me the biggest laugh of my week.

paxtecum Sat 26-Oct-13 16:07:03

I'm a couple of years younger than Jenni Murray.
I totally disagree with her.

If Mumsnet had been around 30 years ago I would not have wasted my life staying married to a selfish, unfaithful, drug addict, alcoholic arsehole of a husband.

Stuff went on in my marriage that I was and am still too ashamed to talk about to anyone, though I did talk to the Samaritans once.

I've just read Jenni Murray's article. She hasn't understood at all, the value of discussing, annonymously, problems of an abusive partner.

The value of being told by other women that you are being abused and his behaviour is not normal is actually amazing.

ladymalfoy Sat 26-Oct-13 16:07:27

I think she's an old fashioned prude TBH. There are times when I find her quite old fashioned and insulting to women in general. I've also been shocked at her lack of sympathy and subtle victim blaming. She will also have the odd dig at the more interesting and stronger female guests.

ladymalfoy Sat 26-Oct-13 16:07:49

So no YRDNBU

LifeofPo Sat 26-Oct-13 16:08:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

curlew Sat 26-Oct-13 16:13:56

Jenni Murray is an old school feminist. She thinks, I suspect, that the point of feminism is not to get women to behave as badly as men traditionally have, and that women using the word "cunt" as an insult is shoring up misogyny.

mortuusUrsus Sat 26-Oct-13 16:14:12

Oh Jenni. Lowers tone why is her hair so long at the back? I want to trim it <fingers itch>

curlew Sat 26-Oct-13 16:14:45

" She will also have the odd dig at the more interesting and stronger female guests."

I have never, ever heard her do this.

kim147 Sat 26-Oct-13 16:21:28

There seems to be an attack on MN at the moment from the media. There's an article in the Independent all about MN and sex.

MN is a wonderful place where people talk about life.

curlew Sat 26-Oct-13 16:23:47

Two things.JM's article, if you actually read it is not an attack on Mumsnet. And even if it was, it was published by the Daily Mail, and therefor probably bears little resemblance to what she actually said.....

SatinSandals Sat 26-Oct-13 16:26:07

This is the Independent article here

claig Sat 26-Oct-13 16:27:54

I think Jenni Murray is too po-faced and naive. I don't think she understands the real world.

She doesn't understand that posters like to have a laugh and exaggerate and occasionally make things up.

She probably also believes that posters who say "DM article today (not linking to those cunts)" are not regular readers of the Daily Mail and can't wait to read what is in it next.

Just because posters say LTB, doesn't mean that someone will. I know that Jenni is probably one of the progressive "metropolitan classes", but give ordinary people a little bit of credit not to be so foolish.

ImperialFucker Sat 26-Oct-13 16:29:42

I imagine Jane Garvey saying, "Oh I knowwwwwwwwwww, they're really terrible" all the while hoping to fuck Jenni Murray doesn't realise Jane's on here 24/7 with the username AnyFucker.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now