Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think the 'old' dr who episodes are so much better

(53 Posts)
southeastastra Sat 26-Oct-13 08:25:57

as they don't have that awful operatic music in the background

BurlyShassey Sun 27-Oct-13 17:52:34

Nothing but tripe on tv tonight so weve just put on the 5 Doctors on the dvd.

Brig! Susan! K9! The MAster (Anthony, my fave one)! Daleks! fab!

wish theyd do the 12 Doctors!

BurlyShassey Sat 26-Oct-13 21:45:07

its like the Star Trek stuff isn't it? the newer stuff gave new fans a insight and an urge to rediscover the old stuff.

Im glad Who came back, its bigger than ever and that makes the old ones bigger than they were too IYKWIM.

I got into WHO with Ecclestone, even though I watched a couple of Davison cos I fancied him (!) but because of the newer I finally got into the old ones (same with Star Trek)and now Im a mahoosive Trekkie AND Whovian!

Kasterborous Sat 26-Oct-13 21:39:02

Hmm, you aren't being totally unreasonable. I do prefer the old series, but really like the 2005 onwards series too. Sometimes the new series is a bit style over substance, but I am very glad they brought it back. That said give me a Tom Baker story especially The Seeds of Doom over any Eccleston/Tennant/Smith story any day.

BurlyShassey Sat 26-Oct-13 21:36:05

they looked like the Stigs alien cousins grin. glad someone else found them sexy!

KayHarker Sat 26-Oct-13 21:31:56

I was thinking that... tight boiler suits are obviously more interesting sexually than metal armour.

BurlyShassey Sat 26-Oct-13 21:28:29

OP, look what you started! grin. Always time for a good old WHO thread!

So basically we all love ALL the doctors and ALL things WHO.

BTW is it just me or were the old cybermen (like the ones today on Earthshock) sexy??????

DrankSangriaInThePark Sat 26-Oct-13 21:21:12

I am marking my place if that's OK, as am in furrinland and need to go to bed.

(I was on the other thread talking about a plastic human eating monstery chair!) grin

MalcolmTuckersMistress Sat 26-Oct-13 21:17:47
MalcolmTuckersMistress Sat 26-Oct-13 21:15:24

He IS the perfect human being!

BurlyShassey Sat 26-Oct-13 21:13:34

phwoooaaarrr at the links!

MalcolmTuckersMistress Sat 26-Oct-13 21:12:20

P.s watch this if you can (need to register but it's SO worth it) or just watch the second one.

www.hibrow.tv/search.html?q=Capaldi

Oh and this

youtu.be/4YswLTXyepo

KayHarker Sat 26-Oct-13 21:11:00

This is my favourite grin

MalcolmTuckersMistress Sat 26-Oct-13 21:07:00

How could anyone ever complain that this man is not just sex on a sonic stick.

BurlyShassey Sat 26-Oct-13 20:51:12

Kay you and I are flicking from one WHO thread to the other! and I was same at the announcement.grin

Other posters- we're also on Telly Addicts site so come on over!

BurlyShassey Sat 26-Oct-13 20:48:49

Malcolm glad youre as saddolooking forward to it as megrin. the amount of times ive been called a saddo geek! I don't care, I really don't.

KayHarker Sat 26-Oct-13 20:47:44

You should have seen me when it was announced. Everyone was in utter shock as I jumped around the room like the crazy person I am. It was most invigorating. I mean come on, after all that build up, thinking nah, they'd never go with Capaldi now they've switched to doing the younger thing, and then yes, Zoe Ball said 'Peter Fucking Capaldi' (WEll, ok, she didn't, that was how I heard it). Awesome. Still get the buzz from it.

MalcolmTuckersMistress Sat 26-Oct-13 20:44:18

I still can't believe that Peter actual Capaldi is going to be Doctor Who. It's like the most amazing thing to happen EVER!

BurlyShassey Sat 26-Oct-13 20:39:31

Ive fancied Peter Davison (especially when he was in all creatures great and small), Paul McGann (but ONLY as the doctor, hes meh otherwise),
Eccloestone a BIT, and Matt Smith too. even Troughton had something about him.

As for Capaldi, there'll be a catfight cos my claws are out for him too grin. positively loin warming!

fanciable companions- Jamie McCrimmon, Rory Williams, and Turlough a bit.

MalcolmTuckersMistress Sat 26-Oct-13 20:35:29

He'd get it from me until one of us died. But I doubt that'll be in any of series 8!

KayHarker Sat 26-Oct-13 20:31:16

Well I'm back to actually fancying the Doctor, too. I enjoyed the break from that with Smith, because it did feel pretty odd fancying the Doctor the way I did with Tennant. But I think that was because I was a child the first time round - had I been a grown up I definitey would have had a crush on Davison.

But yes, Capaldi is proper sexy, and I'll hear no word against that. Especially not from my teenager.

NormanBatesTheForeman Sat 26-Oct-13 20:29:02

Yes, yes to Roger Delgado as the Master, and Patrick Troughton as the Dr. smile

MalcolmTuckersMistress Sat 26-Oct-13 20:23:23

I've really been enjoying Troughton's episodes lately. He was magnificent. Im going to miss Smith hugely because he's been so utterly perfect, however Capaldi gives me such a huge ladyboner when he speaks and by how he just simply exists on the same planet As me that I have no idea how the fuck I'm ever going to be able to concentrate on another episode ever again! sad grin

KayHarker Sat 26-Oct-13 20:21:39

I do love Troughton, very much. Had a bit of a crush - and he is Cole Hawlings, so is proper magic, which might be obvious to anyone who recognizes my NN.

KayHarker Sat 26-Oct-13 20:19:30

Ah Colin Baker, how I hated him. Just because he 'killed' my Doctor. Have since mellowed to him, but I still despise that coat...

NotMeNotYouNotAnyone Sat 26-Oct-13 20:19:30

Yabu

I got into series 5 of dr who which led me to go back and watch all the rest of new who and then as much old who as I can. I adore matt smith and the ponds but also love Patrick troughton and tom baker, Sarah Jane and ace. Even if you prefer old who, new who is a door into that for a generation that didn't grow up with who (like me and matt smith and most of the new who companions)

There are times when I think the underplayed silence of old who is far better but other times when the dramatic music and slo mo of new who makes me cry (I sob at angels take Manhattan every time !)

I wasn't fussed on the daleks at first in new who, but find them the scariest enemies in old who, I think because you can't see that it's an actor in a suit like with most of the others. Like, I know it still is but you can't see it do can suspend disbelief easier.

New who has some fantastic monsters ( weeping angels, vashta nerada or however you spell it) and has also
Done some fan stories with old monsters like the daleks and ice warriors.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now