To expect clean sheets

(82 Posts)
ohnoppp Fri 25-Oct-13 22:47:14

At inlaws myself and children are expected to sleep in sheets other adults have slept in they are all bitty

AgentZigzag Fri 25-Oct-13 22:49:27

Uh...yes.

Can you ask them for some clean sheets?

Even without the bits that's pretty steggy, but you'd be left wondering what the bits were envy

KirjavaTheCorpse Fri 25-Oct-13 22:50:57

Eww.

YouTheCat Fri 25-Oct-13 22:51:41

Urgh! Sheets with someone else's bum crunchies. Vile.

Even I'm not that much of a slattern.

Merel Fri 25-Oct-13 22:52:27

Just change them?

Famzilla Fri 25-Oct-13 22:53:41

Ew, gross.

We've had an influx of visitors this week due to wedding, baby DD etc. Haven't managed to wash any of my own clothes this week as I've done about 7 loads of bedsheets (no tumble dryer). Clean sheets & towels for guests are a must, family or no family!

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 25-Oct-13 22:54:29

Bleugh

ohnoppp Fri 25-Oct-13 22:54:51

I agree always change sheets dh says just sleep in them.

freshwaterpearl Fri 25-Oct-13 22:56:33

erm. no. clean bedsheets for every guest. wow. rank. ;(

mousmous Fri 25-Oct-13 22:58:14

ewwww
ltb

can you take sleeping bags?

EBearhug Fri 25-Oct-13 22:59:59

I would never let a guest sleep in sheets which weren't fresh on. And I wouldn't expect to sleep at anyone else's without clean sheets.

When I used to go back home, my mother did say not to change the sheets every time, when the next visitor was likely to be me again, if I'd only been in them a night or two, but if she had anyone else staying in the meantime, then she would have changed them (or told me to strip the bed and remake it before I left. )

I think next time, I'd take my own sheets. Probably making quite a show of it, if they annoyed me in other ways too.

The only time it's ever acceptable is if it's a real emergency, like you get stranded somewhere because of an accident or something. And even then... I've always got clean sheets available, and it doesn't take very long to put them on the bed...

MrTumblesKnickers Fri 25-Oct-13 23:00:08

That's gross, and I am certainly no Martha Stewart.

Treasures Fri 25-Oct-13 23:00:18

Oh that's grim!

casacastille Fri 25-Oct-13 23:00:38

When I first moved abroad to join (future) H, I had to live with his parents for 6 weeks (separated rooms, naturally - we were only 23 after allhmm ).

Anyway, she gave me ancient sheets that were so thin one of them ripped.

I told MIL and apologised, but she didn't give me a different one. Or wash them, not once, in the six interminable weeks I was with them.

ohnoppp Fri 25-Oct-13 23:01:34

I agree that it is a five minute job to change sheets might not bother next time they come

Beamur Fri 25-Oct-13 23:01:46

Gross.
New guests=clean sheets.

WandaDoff Fri 25-Oct-13 23:05:17

Definitely agree.

Clean sheets are one of the bare basics of hospitality.

squoosh Fri 25-Oct-13 23:54:07

I feel faint at the idea of lying on sheets covered in other people's skin and filth, and I have a high tolerance for sluttish housekeeping.

FortyDoorsToNowhere Sat 26-Oct-13 00:25:26

Eeeww.

Even if changing a bed is difficult then provide clean bedding for guest to make the bed themselves.

This is one of the reasons for my refusal to stay over at PILs any more.

there are plenty more, oh yes

Rollermum Sat 26-Oct-13 01:48:47

Eeeew YANBU.

My MIL stayed recently for a few nights and said I need not change sheets for FIL (her ex) who came separately a few days later. I laughed and agreed because dont particularly like him for many reasons and also he sleeps without a duvet cover etc. But in the end I couldn't do it and changed them. Must be clean sheets for each guest!

NotMeNotYouNotAnyone Sat 26-Oct-13 01:51:35

I am an extremely slobbish housekeeper. But when I have guests, even family, I change the fucking sheets for them!!! I may then sleep in their sheets (I have no guest room so give up my bed for family), but would never expect them to sleep in mine and really I try to change them for me after them but it depends how much else needs washing. I always expect clean sheets when I stay at someone else's house! Once I stayed at a friends and her sister had slept in the bed and I didn't bother changing them but I go there a lot and was offered clean sheets to change the bed myself

silverten Sat 26-Oct-13 07:49:27

Yuck. A clean bed is the very minimum of hospitality.

Ooh no. Reminds me of 'poo crumbs'. sad

ThisWayForCrazy Sat 26-Oct-13 08:12:30

Whenever I went to BILs the bed sheets would be COVERED in dog hair! Even the "clean" ones!!confused

I made me feel sick! And the thought of my babies sleeping in that too is just gross!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now