High heels. Are they a conspiracy?

(297 Posts)
CrockedPot Fri 25-Oct-13 20:49:05

So today I have spent eight hours in toe pinching, arch stretching, high heeled shoes. At work. By the end of the day I was glaring in envy at the men in their round toed, laced up, low heeled 'ergonomically designed' soled shoes, while I minced around like someone who had their feet bound in some medieval torture chamber. AIBU in thinking we put style over fucking comfort every single day and don't think a thing about it?? What are we doing?? (or is just me, wearing the wrong style of pretty, painful shoe?)

heard even

GruffBillyGoat Thu 31-Oct-13 09:57:04

I thought they were meant to make your bum perkier, and make it so you can't run away. Fucking heels.

oliveoctagon Thu 31-Oct-13 10:34:12

I work with office staff, social workers, speech therapists, psychologists, health visitors etc and none of them ever wear heels. I have never worn a pair of heels to work and I am extremely 'girly' looking. Dont see the need tbh.

pollypanties Sun 23-Feb-14 19:45:43

they lengthen the leg give you height elegance and confidence
wear flats in the car in the office and carry a pair of fold up handbag flats,they are fab for te taxi i sneak them on under the table in restereants keep with the heels girls it what makes us glam come on remember what they say never trust a girl insensible shoes

PiperRose Sun 23-Feb-14 19:51:08

Believe me you have not sacrificed style for comfort. There's nothing less stylish than a woman in 'killer heels' when it looks like her heels are actually killing her. If you can't walk without wincing wear flats.

AbbeyBartlet Sun 23-Feb-14 19:54:37

I can barely wear normal work shoes without falling over - I haven't worn heels since I was a teen. I wear flat boots or crocs (yes I know but they have good grips!!).

AbbeyBartlet Sun 23-Feb-14 19:57:12

motherinferior Erm that's me too blush

I used to get asked in my old job whether I was a lesbian angry

TheBigBumTheory Sun 23-Feb-14 20:05:29

I only wear heels (Clark's special so called comfy ones) when I'm dressing up for a special occasion and I know that I will be suitably anaesthetised by alcohol to lessen the pain.

Normally I won't wear anything I couldn't run in.

Nocomet Sun 23-Feb-14 20:08:58

I can't conceive of ever wearing heels except to go out for dinner, utterly ridiculous things.

waterlego Sun 23-Feb-14 20:12:41

I find them so uncomfortable. I consider myself quite lucky that they weren't really in fashion when I was a teenager and so I never really got into wearing them at an impressionable age.

As an adult, I have worn high heels on the odd occasion- to weddings/dressy evening events, but even then, I usually just arrive in them and then take them off. They hurt my feet SO much, and I can't walk in them in any vaguely normal way.

I live in flat boots in the winter and Birkenstocks in the summer. I don't care about fashion. I am also pretty short (5ft 3) but I like being short, and make up for any disadvantage that may give me by being able to make my voice very loud when I need to grin

My MIL has worn heels all her life, and I'm sorry to say her feet look deeply rank. She's got massive lumps sticking out all over them (bunions?)

itsbetterthanabox Sun 23-Feb-14 20:20:41

It's bullshit. Get some nice flat brogues or Dollie shoes. Never need to wear heels. Ever!

Turquoisetamborine Sun 23-Feb-14 20:27:09

I wear heels to go out for the evening. I buy M&S Insolia or Clark's and find them fine

Purplepoodle Sun 23-Feb-14 20:58:44

Stopped wearing heels in early 20s. Now work in manual job so boots or trainers (bliss) for me

harriet247 Sun 23-Feb-14 21:01:28

My feet are weirs shaped so i am much much much more comfy in heels, flats hurt soo much after 3 hours and im covered in blisters. Running joke in this house that my feet are barbie shaped.

Preciousbane Sun 23-Feb-14 22:02:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Nocomet Sun 23-Feb-14 23:25:19

DF had her bunions operated on (congenital) in
Her 30's and a HEing SAHM who lives in trainers and jeans.

She said it was very painful and took a long time to feel normal. She can't work out why anyone blessed with
Non bunion genes would wear heels and get them that way!

Nocomet Sun 23-Feb-14 23:27:08

Why do I get
New line
Capital at random?

Grennie Mon 24-Feb-14 00:00:53

High heels are the Western equivalent of Chinese foot binding. They damage your feet and stretch your calf muscle which can cause all types of problems such as back pain.

ahlahktuhflomp Mon 24-Feb-14 00:51:53

Like everything else needlessly complicated, uncomfortable and unreasonable in life, you will notice that shoes are designed, made and sold by the patriarchy.

Suzannewithaplan Mon 24-Feb-14 00:52:11
Grennie Mon 24-Feb-14 01:09:37

After caring for some elderly ladies in my early twenties, who had terrible feet because of lots of high heel useage when younger, I vowed not to wear high heels. Sorry, but their feet were horrible, they had to wear incredibly old fashioned shoes as they couldn't walk in anything else, and their feet hurt.

theimposter Mon 24-Feb-14 01:22:02

I hardly ever wear them as seem to spend a lot of time driving or walking through mud. I have 3 pairs; 2 that my DP bought me from LK Bennett (I chose them..) and one of these pairs it transpires I simply can not walk in. Trying them on for 2 minutes in the shop is vastly different to trying to stand or walk in them for any length of time and they make my feet feel on fire... Would it be wrong to eBay them?... He'd be really upset...

I do think it depends on shape and fit though; the other LK Bennett ones are ok (3-4") and I got some beautiful 3" ones from a shoe factory in Tuscany at a bargain price which I can truly wear all night and not get kicked out by a bouncer for dancing barefoot...

Grennie Mon 24-Feb-14 01:48:09

No it is not wrong to ebay them. And he would be wrong to be upset. You can't walk in them after all.

poppins30 Mon 24-Feb-14 02:34:35

I physically cannot wear heels. I just can't walk in them at all, I think they are hideous.

I buy flat shoes from Clarks - brogues, boots, pumps, trainers, with arch support insoles, and my feet feel fantastic smile

kentishgirl Mon 24-Feb-14 12:02:20

I'm quite happy to see women tottering about in high heels. Come the apocalypse and the zombies are charging round the corner, I won't be at the back getting eaten alive, despite being crap at running.

Seriously, I saw a woman trying to run to the train station in heels the other day. Looked like she had two broken legs or something, and she didn't actually move any faster than walking. Deliberately crippling yourself is psychologically an issue, surely.

I wear heels maybe 2 or 3 times a year; when I want to, when I'm going out and dressing up, and when I won't have to walk far/dance/do anything but sit nicely and enjoy a good meal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now