High heels. Are they a conspiracy?

(297 Posts)
CrockedPot Fri 25-Oct-13 20:49:05

So today I have spent eight hours in toe pinching, arch stretching, high heeled shoes. At work. By the end of the day I was glaring in envy at the men in their round toed, laced up, low heeled 'ergonomically designed' soled shoes, while I minced around like someone who had their feet bound in some medieval torture chamber. AIBU in thinking we put style over fucking comfort every single day and don't think a thing about it?? What are we doing?? (or is just me, wearing the wrong style of pretty, painful shoe?)

SatinSandals Sun 27-Oct-13 07:27:52

Everyone that I know wears comfortable shoes they can stand and move in, unless they are dressed up for an evening out. Many jobs are impossible in heels.

SatinSandals Sun 27-Oct-13 07:29:52

It is also choice, you do not have to follow the herd. I really don't care if everyone else has heels there is no need for me to do the same and I will still be taller than most with my flat heels.

lifesgreatquestions Sun 27-Oct-13 07:31:12

I would take the collective "we" out of your post, and then otherwise I agree with you that it certainly is a problem... but not for me, I learned that one about 20 years ago and never looked back. To me it's like trying to wear clothes two sizes too small, why would I?

LordPalmerston

This man thinks women wearing high heels look great or terrible, and rarely in between. The longer and stabbier the heel, the more likely it is that the wearer will be shuffling around uncomfortably, doing no favour to her health or appearance.

I reckon about 3 inches is more than enough (he says defensively).

MrsWembley Sun 27-Oct-13 07:51:11

Heels, yes, fine! But heels so high they are uncomfortable to wear for more than five minutes, why?

Maybe for a wedding or a party where you'd get a chance to sit down or kick them off with gay abandon... But for work? NOOOO!!!

ColinButterfly Sun 27-Oct-13 07:52:56

I am a heels fan but only once I'm at my desk and in meetings. I won't buy any that are uncomfortable though. I do my walking in flats.

As a dedicated follower of fashion though, it has become apparent that flats are the in thing of late so am wearing them a lot lately. Took a bit of getting used to but I'll admit it is lovely to be comfortable.

fatlazymummy Sun 27-Oct-13 07:53:13

Most women I know wear flats. I don't know about going out at night because I never do.
The only reasons for wearing heels are - a) work dress code requires them or b) you like them.
If neither apply to you then don't wear them. I don't , because I like to be able to walk very quickly and I can't do that in heels.
Whether men like them is completely irrelevant as far as I'm concerned.

LordPalmerston Sun 27-Oct-13 07:55:28

Lol at toad. Never more than ten cm. I'm a metric heel wearer

LordPalmerston Sun 27-Oct-13 07:55:52

You never go out fatlazymummy? Ever?

RubySparks Sun 27-Oct-13 07:55:54

If men like them, let them wear them!

LordPalmerston Sun 27-Oct-13 07:56:25

Oh no never flats with workwear.

Hate them with pencil skirts. All wrong

Bonsoir Sun 27-Oct-13 07:57:08

I don't like the look of high heels one little bit unless they are complementing a very dressed up look. High heels with a trouser suit = M&S chic = don't go there.

Yes, I think whether men like them is completely irrelevant. I reckon women choose to torture themselves.

LordPalmerston Sun 27-Oct-13 07:58:26

Skinny trouser suit. Ossom

YANBU - on a societal level is is a 'conspiracy' IMO and has v ancient reasons: makes your bum and tits stick out in sexy manner hmm, is totally impractical so indicates high statues and being rich as you must have servants to do all the fetching and actual doing stuff.

YABU if you continue wearing them now that you know how horrific they are wink. There are smart shoes around that are not Cornish Pasties (love that comparison) and are not absurdly high.

I reckon some women chose to torture themselves because they are under the impression they will please some men. And some men encourage that impression...

eurochick Sun 27-Oct-13 08:01:18

I love heels. I am long bodied, with relatively short legs. Heels help to even up my proportions. I don't walk any distance in them though - I keep them in the office and walk in wearing flats.

LordPalmerston Sun 27-Oct-13 08:01:37

They're not all instruments of torture though. Are they?

fatlazymummy Sun 27-Oct-13 08:13:09

lordparmerstone I don't go out night, no ,apart from an occasional party. I did when I was younger but it no longer interests me.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sun 27-Oct-13 08:18:06

We evolved to walk around barefoot.

Wearing any sort of heel throws your natural posture out. You end up tilting your penis in a weird way as well as setting yourself up for a lifetime of foot, ankle, calf, back pain.

They're not just uncomfortable, they are actually damaging.

MarshaBrady Sun 27-Oct-13 08:21:21

I wouldn't do heels at work, far too uncomfortable.

You end up tilting your penis?? shock <TisAllGoing is a man>

Massive snort at itsallgoingtobefine's 'you end up tilting your penis in a wired way'

gringringringringringringringringrin

Cross posted pacificdogwood grin

Best dyac ever!

Ilovexmastime Sun 27-Oct-13 08:29:48

I never wear heels, they ARE instruments of torture as far as I'm concerned. Sometimes I wish I could, as I have a couple of lovely dresses that I know would look better on me if I were wearing heels, but I just don't care about how I look enough to put myself through the pain of heels.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now