Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

High heels. Are they a conspiracy?

(297 Posts)
CrockedPot Fri 25-Oct-13 20:49:05

So today I have spent eight hours in toe pinching, arch stretching, high heeled shoes. At work. By the end of the day I was glaring in envy at the men in their round toed, laced up, low heeled 'ergonomically designed' soled shoes, while I minced around like someone who had their feet bound in some medieval torture chamber. AIBU in thinking we put style over fucking comfort every single day and don't think a thing about it?? What are we doing?? (or is just me, wearing the wrong style of pretty, painful shoe?)

squoosh Sat 26-Oct-13 20:42:40

I wear flats in the day and heels when I go out at night. I never wear uncomfortable heels though.

NewtRipley Sat 26-Oct-13 20:47:36

Crocked

I agree with you.

They hurt. You can't walk properly, let alone run in them. They aren't fit for the purpose of locomotion. Men don't wear anything comparable.

paxtecum Sat 26-Oct-13 20:47:49

I would never were heels all day.
I have been known to have a pair of slippers under my desk to change into.

NewtRipley Sat 26-Oct-13 20:47:52

Kisses

That's interesting.

WhenSheWasBadSheWasExhausted Sat 26-Oct-13 20:48:53

I never wear heels, they are evil. I am quite tall so have never too much issue with looking blokes in the chest all time.

TunipTheUnconquerable Sat 26-Oct-13 20:54:04

I never wear them.

Beauty and Misogyny by Sheila Jeffreys has a very good chapter on them.
What I never understand is why some people think they look good. Beyond a couple of inches I think they make people look worse, not better.

YANBU

But YABU for being jealous of men. It is quite correct that high-heeled shoes were originally Manly Shoes for Men. IT seems that men were sensible enough to stop wearing them after a while. It is probably time women did the same instead of wilfully torturing themselves. I very much doubt that the average workplace requires high-heeled shoes as part of professional attire. Just stop wearing them if you don't like them.

OvaryAction Sat 26-Oct-13 20:59:38

New technology shows what high heels actually do to your feet oooh so sexy confused

BlingBang Sat 26-Oct-13 21:04:32

Men must think we are nuts, while they wear their nice comfy shoes.

AthelstaneTheUnreadyFucker Sat 26-Oct-13 21:10:12

I wear them at work for the same reason (I'm guessing) that Tom Cruise, bless his tiny bonkers socks, wears stack heels: in a situation where one person is pitted against another, giving any advantage away is silly - and height is a huge psychological (if subconscious) advantage.

In a confrontational atmosphere, it helps.

The rest of the time I'm in big, flat boots, because I prefer to be comfy.

Bingdweller Sat 26-Oct-13 21:29:47

I loved my high heels. That was, until I slipped on a worn metal stair and sustained multiple ankle fractures, a week in hospital and surgery. Have just undergone further surgery due to complications and it is flatties from now on!

Ifancyashandy Sat 26-Oct-13 21:45:16

Oh, I adore high heels. Wear them whenever I can. But not shopping. That's madness. But, yup, for work every day. Minimum 3 inches. Granted, after a 12 hour day in the office they morph into instruments of torture but the fact I can tolerate it makes me not to be messed with when it comes to my team!

Hoofdegebouw Sat 26-Oct-13 21:51:43

Yanbu. I only wear them for weddings/parties and am always the first person to be dancing in my tights. I am rubbish at walking in them, I feel like a bloke in drag. Would never ever wear them for work.

Is there really an advantage in height?

I am 6 ft 1, so I do not owe my height to heels, so zi would not really know what it is like to be shorter than the menz

A fair few short men get a bit snarky and annoyed and tell me I am "too tall", or refuse to stand next to me ( or if they do they try to surreptitiously stand on tiptoe)

MrsDavidBowie Sun 27-Oct-13 06:44:16

Fiscal.....I am six feet tall, and have had the "too tall " comment from shortarse men shock

my dh is slightly shorter than me, and stood on a brick in some of our wedding photos, which are thankfully locked away in the loft. I didn't notice until my brother said "why is Mr DB taller than you?"

Thankfully it is only insecure men who say that.

Women have berated me for wearing heels, when I don't "Need" it too.

But I used to really like a bit of a heel.

LordPalmerston Sun 27-Oct-13 06:49:11

Oh fgs. Op has read Caitlin Moran today.

LordPalmerston Sun 27-Oct-13 06:51:10

I love them. Only wear flats at work on dress down days. They can be comfy. Hate it when women fetishise it though. They're just shoes

LordPalmerston Sun 27-Oct-13 06:51:51

Plus. Men do love them. wink

MrsWembley Sun 27-Oct-13 06:53:46

Why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why would you do that to yourself?

SatinSandals Sun 27-Oct-13 06:54:51

YABU - there is absolutely no need to wear them. I only wear shoes that are comfortable and that I can walk fast in, the only time I would ever wear heels is for a party or very special occasion if I was mainly sitting down and even then I wouldn't get them very high because I am tall to start with.

LordPalmerston Sun 27-Oct-13 06:55:06

Do you mean why ?

This thread unusual. Everyone I know wears heels.

Must be the mumsnet tunic curse again

LordPalmerston Sun 27-Oct-13 06:55:36

And those gopping Cornish pasty shoes.

There's comfort and there's being close to death style wise ...

claraschu Sun 27-Oct-13 06:58:23

People ook stupid and uncomfortable in high heels.

LordPalmerston Sun 27-Oct-13 06:59:20

You keep telling yourself that. ;)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now