High heels. Are they a conspiracy?

(297 Posts)
CrockedPot Fri 25-Oct-13 20:49:05

So today I have spent eight hours in toe pinching, arch stretching, high heeled shoes. At work. By the end of the day I was glaring in envy at the men in their round toed, laced up, low heeled 'ergonomically designed' soled shoes, while I minced around like someone who had their feet bound in some medieval torture chamber. AIBU in thinking we put style over fucking comfort every single day and don't think a thing about it?? What are we doing?? (or is just me, wearing the wrong style of pretty, painful shoe?)

squoosh Sat 26-Oct-13 20:42:40

I wear flats in the day and heels when I go out at night. I never wear uncomfortable heels though.

NewtRipley Sat 26-Oct-13 20:47:36

Crocked

I agree with you.

They hurt. You can't walk properly, let alone run in them. They aren't fit for the purpose of locomotion. Men don't wear anything comparable.

paxtecum Sat 26-Oct-13 20:47:49

I would never were heels all day.
I have been known to have a pair of slippers under my desk to change into.

NewtRipley Sat 26-Oct-13 20:47:52

Kisses

That's interesting.

WhenSheWasBadSheWasExhausted Sat 26-Oct-13 20:48:53

I never wear heels, they are evil. I am quite tall so have never too much issue with looking blokes in the chest all time.

TunipTheUnconquerable Sat 26-Oct-13 20:54:04

I never wear them.

Beauty and Misogyny by Sheila Jeffreys has a very good chapter on them.
What I never understand is why some people think they look good. Beyond a couple of inches I think they make people look worse, not better.

YANBU

But YABU for being jealous of men. It is quite correct that high-heeled shoes were originally Manly Shoes for Men. IT seems that men were sensible enough to stop wearing them after a while. It is probably time women did the same instead of wilfully torturing themselves. I very much doubt that the average workplace requires high-heeled shoes as part of professional attire. Just stop wearing them if you don't like them.

OvaryAction Sat 26-Oct-13 20:59:38

New technology shows what high heels actually do to your feet oooh so sexy confused

BlingBang Sat 26-Oct-13 21:04:32

Men must think we are nuts, while they wear their nice comfy shoes.

AthelstaneTheUnreadyFucker Sat 26-Oct-13 21:10:12

I wear them at work for the same reason (I'm guessing) that Tom Cruise, bless his tiny bonkers socks, wears stack heels: in a situation where one person is pitted against another, giving any advantage away is silly - and height is a huge psychological (if subconscious) advantage.

In a confrontational atmosphere, it helps.

The rest of the time I'm in big, flat boots, because I prefer to be comfy.

Bingdweller Sat 26-Oct-13 21:29:47

I loved my high heels. That was, until I slipped on a worn metal stair and sustained multiple ankle fractures, a week in hospital and surgery. Have just undergone further surgery due to complications and it is flatties from now on!

Ifancyashandy Sat 26-Oct-13 21:45:16

Oh, I adore high heels. Wear them whenever I can. But not shopping. That's madness. But, yup, for work every day. Minimum 3 inches. Granted, after a 12 hour day in the office they morph into instruments of torture but the fact I can tolerate it makes me not to be messed with when it comes to my team!

Hoofdegebouw Sat 26-Oct-13 21:51:43

Yanbu. I only wear them for weddings/parties and am always the first person to be dancing in my tights. I am rubbish at walking in them, I feel like a bloke in drag. Would never ever wear them for work.

Is there really an advantage in height?

I am 6 ft 1, so I do not owe my height to heels, so zi would not really know what it is like to be shorter than the menz

A fair few short men get a bit snarky and annoyed and tell me I am "too tall", or refuse to stand next to me ( or if they do they try to surreptitiously stand on tiptoe)

MrsDavidBowie Sun 27-Oct-13 06:44:16

Fiscal.....I am six feet tall, and have had the "too tall " comment from shortarse men shock

my dh is slightly shorter than me, and stood on a brick in some of our wedding photos, which are thankfully locked away in the loft. I didn't notice until my brother said "why is Mr DB taller than you?"

Thankfully it is only insecure men who say that.

Women have berated me for wearing heels, when I don't "Need" it too.

But I used to really like a bit of a heel.

LordPalmerston Sun 27-Oct-13 06:49:11

Oh fgs. Op has read Caitlin Moran today.

LordPalmerston Sun 27-Oct-13 06:51:10

I love them. Only wear flats at work on dress down days. They can be comfy. Hate it when women fetishise it though. They're just shoes

LordPalmerston Sun 27-Oct-13 06:51:51

Plus. Men do love them. wink

MrsWembley Sun 27-Oct-13 06:53:46

Why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why would you do that to yourself?

SatinSandals Sun 27-Oct-13 06:54:51

YABU - there is absolutely no need to wear them. I only wear shoes that are comfortable and that I can walk fast in, the only time I would ever wear heels is for a party or very special occasion if I was mainly sitting down and even then I wouldn't get them very high because I am tall to start with.

LordPalmerston Sun 27-Oct-13 06:55:06

Do you mean why ?

This thread unusual. Everyone I know wears heels.

Must be the mumsnet tunic curse again

LordPalmerston Sun 27-Oct-13 06:55:36

And those gopping Cornish pasty shoes.

There's comfort and there's being close to death style wise ...

claraschu Sun 27-Oct-13 06:58:23

People ook stupid and uncomfortable in high heels.

LordPalmerston Sun 27-Oct-13 06:59:20

You keep telling yourself that. ;)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now