To think Halloween costumes for small children are..

(34 Posts)
meekenough Fri 25-Oct-13 16:19:29

becoming far too grotesque?

I have a four year old and costume shopping is becoming limited increasingly as IMO the costume faces are either too frightening/disturbing/gory for children that age, and that alot of the decorations are going the same way,
I am by no means a prude I like my horror films, but horror film imagery is for adults not kids, I love halloween but when I was a child it was a bin liner cape, witches hat and then watched hocus pocus...., things seem to have changed a lot ...

Or maybe I', gerrin' old and joyless.....

AIBU..

gordyslovesheep Sun 27-Oct-13 08:57:38

we all go as zombies - every year - complete with fake blood and wounds - because I love zombies and I win

DD3 wanted to be a cat last year so she went as a cat ...zombie

Blood and gore is kind of part of Halloween for me - it was when I was a kid in the 70's

HowlingTrap Sun 27-Oct-13 08:19:11

*huge

HowlingTrap Sun 27-Oct-13 08:18:57

I typed in 3-4 and that came up , odd ...oh well.

I've had to make a hige hypocrite of myself, I think costumes for Halloween which aren't halloween related, i.e fairies,heroes are really naff.
But was relived now, when my DS wanted to be batman instead of zombie, evil clown.

PedantMarina Sat 26-Oct-13 18:06:56

Catsize - how about you explain the origins, as you see them?

PedantMarina Sat 26-Oct-13 18:06:06

ScaryGhoul refers to the Scream trope - yes, that's the main culprit - man, even Poundland has a version of it.

PedantMarina Sat 26-Oct-13 18:04:24

YANBU. I can cope with a bit of mummy or vampire, even if a bit of actual blood is involved, but anything that references films that children can't watch (Friday 13th, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, etc) just doesn't make any sense.

That said, I'm one of those who refuses to let my child out of the house with a store-bought costume on such a night. I dunno, I akin it to the risk that I might show up at a party wearing the same dress as another woman (which is why I wear either stuff I've made or inherited or found in a vintage shop).

This year DS (3.5 yrs) will be Reboot Captain Kirk (in a store-bought) for a party we're attending tonight, and a scary Viking (home made, which will be used Next Season) for Trick-or-Treating on Thursday. Oh, and one of the reasons for the Viking one is it's nice and warm!

56 inches tall (on that link) is not a 3-4 yo. I say that as someone with an enormous 2 yo. And, it says 9-12 for manufacturer's age recommendation.

Catsize Sat 26-Oct-13 17:43:04

YANBU.
What is wrong with an old sheet for a ghost?
Hate the whole Halloween thing, and won't be dressing up my son, as the whole thing makes me feel very uncomfortable.
Wish people would think of the origins more.

meekenough Sat 26-Oct-13 17:30:37

Yes, Tilly I saw that clown one too bloody scary looks the double of IT.

www.amazon.com/Scary-Ghoul-Costume-Small-Size-Years/dp/B000UO1GW2

this ^^ is specifically 3/4 years.

HotDog- in the nicest way, its not really the point although I see your point. Putting parents in that situation isn't v. responsible of the shops/manufacturers.

Surely you would expect " more extreme" costumes, in a costume shop, as otherwise at the prices they charge ( or cannot compete with) everyone would stick to Tesco/Asda and the discount shops?

I haven't seen any that could be deemed as unsuitable in any of the Supermarkets.

The little girl dresses with Black Cats etc on makes we wish we had a toddler in the family.

MyBaby1day Sat 26-Oct-13 03:08:29

YANBU, I have noticed this too, need to tone it down a bit and make it a bit more cute!.

My DS (nearly 4) chose a really freaky clown costume this year confused There's no blood or gore but it scares the ever living shit out of me shock (I obviously read too much Stephen King as a teen)

2tiredtoScare Fri 25-Oct-13 18:15:53

Yes well I had to guide myself away from the baby Frankenstein outfit as it was 24 quid

HotDogSlaughter Fri 25-Oct-13 18:05:09

Yes some stuff is quite yukky, the zombie nurse is a bit wrong but it's up to us to guide them isn't it?

2tiredtoScare Fri 25-Oct-13 17:56:38

I dont think the mainstream shops seem to sell things like the outfits in stand alone shops

RedHelenB Fri 25-Oct-13 17:47:04

Ds was a pumpkin for 3 years ( think it was from Asda) Now he's almost 7 he's chosen a vampire outfit. Pumpkin really cute with hat, vampire not gritesque so YABU!!

DS is 5yo and had insisted on being a zombie this year. I brought his costume home today and he has adapted so that it now includes nothing but pants, socks and a scary mask. He is having a whale of a time surprising me from behind my laptop.

I think it depends on the child TBH.

meekenough Fri 25-Oct-13 16:56:54

yep totally 2tiredtoScare, lol that outfit is cute.

Fakebook Fri 25-Oct-13 16:56:25

Mothercare and M&S always do nice ones. Dd has a witches dress from Mothercare that she's been wearing since 2009. It just stretches to fit her every year.

I have a problem with book character costumes though. Last March I tried to find dd a nice costume for world book day and when I googled little red riding hood or goldilocks all these disgusting big breasted women with hardly any clothes on would come up. I find it unsettling when a child's book character is sexed up like that for adults.

meekenough Fri 25-Oct-13 16:56:20

yes zombies, bloody stuff, my DP got my DS a v. scary devil mask last year didnt like it at all.

2tiredtoScare Fri 25-Oct-13 16:52:35

At the party shop I saw zombies, scream outfits and bloodied nurse outfits for 4-6 year olds

absentmindeddooooodles Fri 25-Oct-13 16:50:19

There are a few that l9ok a bit much. I took ds 2.6 to tescos and asda to try and find one. There were a few scary looking scream type ones.

We came back with a pink tutu, cats ears, vampire teeth and pumpkin face paint. .....fair enough ds.

FunnyRunner Fri 25-Oct-13 16:49:38

They have lovely ones in TK Maxx if you have one near you?

2tiredtoScare Fri 25-Oct-13 16:49:36

It's boo humbug actually

phantomnamechanger Fri 25-Oct-13 16:49:08

YANBU!

witches, ghosts, pumpkins or black cats are fine but anything with blood and gore, IMO, is not appropriate. Just bleurgh.

Then again, I hate Halloween with a passion and we have NEVER done it, at all. <Ba Humbug!>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now