to be saddened by the lack of children's films that promote female independence?

(106 Posts)
Objection Fri 25-Oct-13 12:52:22

Trying to find movies for the kids I occasionally look after.
I'm really struggling to find PG movies that don't feature a female being stereotyped as either weak, overtly girly (not that there is anything wrong with girlyness) or highly dependent on men (being rescued etc).

In fact, I basically have Mulan and possibly Tangled as an option.

AIBU? Or are there a whole slew of children's films with strong female protaganists that I don't know about?

TooMuchFuckingPerspective Fri 25-Oct-13 12:54:27

Brave?

KirjavaTheCorpse Fri 25-Oct-13 12:57:35

The Princess and the Frog?

TooMuchFuckingPerspective Fri 25-Oct-13 12:57:37

YANBU btw

AnyChippednailvarnishfucker Fri 25-Oct-13 12:59:14

Brave, spy kids, The early Harry Potter films, just off the top of my head. I would be more concerned about the onslaught of pink toys marketed to girls than films TBH.

Objection Fri 25-Oct-13 13:06:25

Brave! Forgot about that one! Fab. The Princess and the Frog, forgot that too!

Harry Potter is quite impressively gender-neutral in some respects - but unfortunately wouldn't hold the interest of the 2 & 3 year old just yet!

noblegiraffe Fri 25-Oct-13 13:07:34

Kiki's Delivery Service. A thirteen year old witch moves to a big city, gets a job, works hard, rescues her male friend when he is in danger.

My Neighbour Totoro. Two sisters meet nature sprites and have adventures.

Frostedloop Fri 25-Oct-13 13:08:12

No point in looking for this sort of film if you then dress her head to your in pink and reinforce all the usual guff stereotypes.

MillicentTendancies Fri 25-Oct-13 13:10:48

Beauty and the Beast? The way Belle tells Gaston to fuck off always appealed to me. All the dancing furniture is fab.

My Neighbour Tortoro is what you need : D

BearsBeetsBattlestarGalactica Fri 25-Oct-13 13:14:26

Yup Studio Ghibli movies, especially Miyazaki films are what you are after smile

QueenArseClangers Fri 25-Oct-13 13:15:00

Spirited Away is great.

FairyJen Fri 25-Oct-13 13:20:22

Pretty much all the studio ghibli films have well rounded female characters who usually save the day.

My dc love them!

WooWooOwl Fri 25-Oct-13 13:21:14

Children's films aren't great for make role models either, so don't forget the boys you look after in your quest to find gender neutral and gender positive films.

I think males are often portrayed as stupid, or less intelligent than their female counterparts, or they are there only to 'save' or benefit the female in some way. I can't even think of a male character that is shown as sensitive and intelligent and not there to benefit a female, although I hope there are some characters like that that others can think of!

DuckToWater Fri 25-Oct-13 13:25:40

No point in looking for this sort of film if you then dress her head to your in pink and reinforce all the usual guff stereotypes.

Stereotypes about gender roles yes, but dressing in pink doesn't make a blind bit of difference. I've fully allowed both DDs to be as princessy and wear as much pink as they like, now they have realised there are other things in life and have moved on and they are only 8 and 4.

They have watched and enjoyed all the Disney films, even those based on the traditional folk tales where women have more traditional gender roles. I consider these tales and to some extent the films as part of my culture and heritage.

In short, there are many, many more films with strong female roles than there used to be when I was small.

Matilda is another one which has not been mentioned yet.

noblegiraffe Fri 25-Oct-13 13:26:02

Loads of films have central male characters who are good. Toy Story, Finding Nemo, Aladdin are all good.

fuzzpig Fri 25-Oct-13 13:27:46

I came on here to recommend studio ghibli too! grin

LeBearPolar Fri 25-Oct-13 13:29:01

Nim's Island.
Fly Away Home.
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.
Matilda.
National Velvet.
Shrek.

pissovski Fri 25-Oct-13 13:33:22

Meg in Hercules is a strong (ish) character "I'm a damsel, I'm in distress, I can handle it!"

HazleNutt Fri 25-Oct-13 13:35:58

Pippi Longstocking is certainly not in need of rescuing. There are several movies and series about her.

LadyBigtoes Fri 25-Oct-13 13:36:45

Monsters Vs Aliens is one of the most feminist films ever, I absolutely love it.

Objection Fri 25-Oct-13 13:37:01

I don't confused

Objection Fri 25-Oct-13 13:39:15

This is great, keep them coming!
(I've not even heard of some of these blush)

fuckwittery Fri 25-Oct-13 13:39:55

Studio ghibli as others have said!
My neighbour Totoro
Arietty
Kiki's delivery service
Are three we have with strong female characters.

KatoPotato Fri 25-Oct-13 13:41:00

Wreck it Ralph, Vanellope is awesome!

LeBearPolar Fri 25-Oct-13 13:45:01

The baby mammoth in Ice Age 3 (4? can't remember when she arrives) is pretty cool. And of course Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now