Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think that a dirty/messy house does not mean you're a "Great Mum"?

(234 Posts)
trilogyofjuniper Fri 25-Oct-13 11:45:13

Aaaaaagh! All those stupid slogans. "My floors are sticky and my kitchen is messy because I'm a great mum!", etc.

No, it's because you're a slob.

TheNumberfaker Fri 25-Oct-13 11:47:25

Yeah. I'm a slob...

Tuonz Fri 25-Oct-13 11:47:46

As a slob, I agree. I parent just the same whether my floors sparkle or not.YANBU.

Dobbiesmum Fri 25-Oct-13 11:48:52

Now to me there is a difference between dirty and messy. My house isn't dirty but can be quite messy as I have 3 DC's and a part time mindee. Messy to me is toys on the floor, things waiting to be put away, things like that, basically everything that we get around to. But the floors are clean (at the end of the day anyway!), countertops are wiped etc.

StayAwayFromTheEdge Fri 25-Oct-13 11:49:27

I agree - nothing to do with being a great parent, but everyone to with having low standards.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 25-Oct-13 11:49:59

YANBU

AdmiralData Fri 25-Oct-13 11:50:09

My kitchen floor is dirty. I clean it every day and am the only bloody person in my house who bothers to clean it and today (I have decided) is my day off. I am not a 'greatmum' but I am a borderline average parent. You might possibly want to prepare yourself for a flaming.

Jolleigh Fri 25-Oct-13 11:50:50

grin though in some cases, the person has genuinly been too busy tending to their children to clean, I also know of several people who post tripe like this simply because they can't be arsed cleaning.

Not meaning to be judgy, but if you spend most of the day in front of the telly, your house is a mess because you spent most of the day in front of the telly. It's fuck all to do with being a mum.

SinisterMatic Fri 25-Oct-13 11:51:05

<looks at messy floor>

Just five more minutes and I will mop..I promise!

squoosh Fri 25-Oct-13 11:51:15

Anyone who has 'Mum' slogans on display in their house should be put in the stocks and pelted with rotten fruit.

kerala Fri 25-Oct-13 11:51:51

I can sort of see it. Hasn't everyone had the "shall I wash the kitchen floor or sit with the DDs and play a game" dilemma?

purrtrillpadpadpad Fri 25-Oct-13 11:51:54

Oh this, definitely. And smugly declaring a parenting style of 'benign neglect'. Throwaway remarks like, 'oh, my kids are here somewhere...'

Smugnet.

Dogonabeanbag Fri 25-Oct-13 11:52:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bekindtoyourknees Fri 25-Oct-13 11:52:31

Where are all these slogans OP? I've not seen any

ClaimedByMe Fri 25-Oct-13 11:52:35

I am just bloody lazy...

HaroldLloyd Fri 25-Oct-13 11:52:42

Your just swapping one generalisation for another, surely?

HaroldLloyd Fri 25-Oct-13 11:53:17

It's that bloody poem about dirty windows.

ScarerAndFuckItsAGhost Fri 25-Oct-13 11:54:40

This was on Facebook wasn't it OP?

Cat98 Fri 25-Oct-13 11:55:17

I am a rubbish mum AND a slob then. Great sad

Us slatterns need to find something to make us feel better about living in a state of chaos, surely? grin

ScarerAndFuckItsAGhost Fri 25-Oct-13 11:55:43

Not that I've seen it yet, but I know exactly which friend will be posting it on her wall as soon as she sees it grin

NutritiousAndDeliciousFucker Fri 25-Oct-13 11:55:48

I just hate cleaning grin there is always better things to do!

KirjavaTheCorpse Fri 25-Oct-13 11:56:23

Yes, facebook.

And I've been to their house. It's spotless. Stop it.

purrtrillpadpadpad Fri 25-Oct-13 11:56:35

There is, eh?

LoriGrimes Fri 25-Oct-13 11:56:56

When I was a girl our house was always spotless because of my mums endless cleaning, she never spent any time with her children and we couldn't have toys out because they were 'mess'. She was a bit of a rubbish mum to be honest.

My house is a bit of a mess but I do spend time with my children rather than tidy up. I wouldn't say I was a great mum though.

Dobbiesmum Fri 25-Oct-13 11:58:59

Which poem about windows? If we're judging parenting on the state of the windows then I am definitely a slob and possibly a bad Mum depending on which way you look at it...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now