Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

But, I want Helen Fielding to give me my money back ...

(23 Posts)
StickleTick Thu 24-Oct-13 07:48:15

Please don't waste your money on the new Bridget Jones, like I have done. This book will be piling up in charity shops quicker than you can say '50 Shades of Grey'. I know it's fiction, supposedly for entertainment, but Helen Fielding has gone too far and is taking us for fools. A 50-something mum climbing a tree in a black lace thong? The loss of over 3 stone in as many months? I repeat, at 50?? - What a miraculous turnaround considering her struggling metabolism in the earlier books.

Can't believe I fell for my sentimental desire to see BJ fully clued-up, just as feisty, but more-or-less successfully juggling the mania of parenting. Implausibly, her approach to life has become more chaotic and infantile.

Not so bothered about MD's death, or a 50-something single mum with young children having the spare capacity to date 29 year olds. [As if?] But, please, is well-written prose that is a pleasure to read really too much to ask for? What is it with all the <>@!"<>***< , CAPITALS, and italics?

Waterstones were sympathetic enuf to sell me the book on promotion at half-price. I still feel like I've been robbed.

Writerwannabe83 Thu 24-Oct-13 07:51:25

It is crap isn't it!! grin I got about a fifth of the way through it and couldn't be bothered with the rest. I will join you in the protest for refunds!! smile

StickleTick Thu 24-Oct-13 08:05:15

One possible clawback, I guess, would be to lend book to as many friends as possible. Many of mine are still undaunted despite my vitriolic comments. Trouble is, they're friends. And, spare time to read is like gold dust.

Howsuper Thu 24-Oct-13 08:18:38

I like the fact she's the same - I'm ancient but still have dramas I share with my friends and we still talk and behave in the way we've always done. I like that a 50+ woman is allowed to have the same thoughts and worries and silliness as ever

BUT overall I agree. Shoddy writting, OTT (agree with thong thing and unlikeliness of 29 year old stud muffin and the weight loss was grrrr) and awful cliches about mothers in Chelsea tractors at school gates etc.

pierpressure Thu 24-Oct-13 08:28:52

Am not reading it but listening to it on audible
When I do ironing. The superb Samantha Bond
Is reading it, and is perfect. I listen to an hour or
So and have laughed out loud on several occasions.

BloodysocksAndGore Thu 24-Oct-13 08:31:03

I've decided not to read it. I would rather leave Bridget and Mark as in love 30 something's in my head.

StickleTick Thu 24-Oct-13 08:33:35

I iron to Homes under the Hammer. Audio books is a fabulous suggestion. Truly grateful.

Minnieisthedevilmouse Thu 24-Oct-13 08:33:39

Let me get this straight.....

You read the first.....

You then bought the second....?!?!? WTAF?

The first is by far enough to mean I shall never read the second it was so shit. The film barely improved it either.

Worst book ever
50 shades close second...

flowerpotgirl12 Thu 24-Oct-13 08:36:37

I enjoyed it and actually laughed at a few points. Maybe she should have left alone and o be honest it was very obvious from early on what was going to happen, none the less I enjoyed it.

StickleTick Thu 24-Oct-13 08:44:46

Well, Minniedevilmouse, I was in my 20s - so I claim youthful ignorance. After all, then I not only wanted to be BJ, I actually thought I might be [BJ]. I think the second book was lent [no excuse, I know.] Now, if BJ was at my school gate, I'd shun a mile. [Ha, even my writing is edging towards HF style-ee].

TEErickOrTEEreat Thu 24-Oct-13 10:03:19

I can't read even read the first one because it's so badly written.

I have no idea how these books got to be so popular and have films made.

They've always been crap. From day 1.

lottieandmia Thu 24-Oct-13 10:05:39

You should read Donna Tartt's new book instead!

mrsjay Thu 24-Oct-13 10:42:20

poor you I would go to Helns house( if i knew where she lived) and bonk her on the head with her book and say DONT DO IT AGAIN , are we going to get bridget as an 80 yr old next hmm

fwiw i hate Bridget jones with a passion so I am shocked so many bought the book

jellyboatsandpirates Thu 24-Oct-13 10:55:49

I;m in two minds whether I want to buy it or not. I love the other two books, but this one sounds a bit meh.
Kids and a widow all happening between books is a bit hmm as well. There's a book there in itself, so that sounds a bit crap how it's just jumped forward years!

Minnieisthedevilmouse Thu 24-Oct-13 11:30:20

I was 20 when it came out. I remember being so bloody angry with how she depicted women I left it on the train. (London to Leicester) all that drivel about (swoon) being 8.5stone and putting a whole pound on..... ( arm raised dramatically to forehead) still makes me cross now!

Hmm looks like I have no problems then if BJ is biggest bug bear eh! smile

tertle Thu 24-Oct-13 11:44:26

Very much agree that a refund would be more than welcome. I enjoyed reading the first book in my teens and although the second wasn't nearly as good I still went ahead and bought the third as I wanted to form my own opinion of it. All I can say is that it's a complete waste of 7.20! It's shoddily written, totally unrealistic and Bridget and her friends are nothing more than annoying. V v disappointed!

StickleTick Thu 24-Oct-13 20:29:00

OMG - MrsJay, LOL/run away and hide at the thought of an 80 year-old Bridget. On the other hand, not that I want to be getting ahead of myself, but I actually think the bits about BJ's mum in an upmarket oap home were more entertainingly-written.

StickleTick Thu 24-Oct-13 20:34:01

Home even sounds somewhat enviable - altho I haven't read all hte book yet.

echt Thu 24-Oct-13 20:34:58

I can't forgive helen Fielding for having the arrogance to do the audiobook reading for The Edge of Reason, getting rid of the fabulous first reader, Tracie Bennett.

Fielding can't read for toffee, and murders diction with her bizarre pronunciation.

Elsiequadrille Thu 24-Oct-13 20:39:01

I bought it on special offer for my kindle (blush)

It's not good. But then I didn't like the original Bridget Jones book, so wasn't expecting much

Elsiequadrille Thu 24-Oct-13 20:40:00

I never did read the second book, probably just as well.

GuffSmuggler Thu 24-Oct-13 20:43:26

I can't believe you bought it!

I enjoyed the first two many moons ago but doubt I could read them seriously now. This was always going to a load of absolute rubbish. I wish authors would learn when to leave things alone and resist making a quick buck off their only famous books.

DoBatsEatCats Thu 24-Oct-13 21:09:43

If you've bought it for Kindle and had it less than 7 days, you can return it for a refund. That's what I do with books that turn out to be crap when I get a few pages into them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now