To wonder if its ok to leave a slow cooker on while I'm at work?

(24 Posts)
annabanana84 Thu 24-Oct-13 00:05:31

dp has got us a slow cooker. It's great, but now he wants us to leave it on the low setting for 9 hours while we're both at work. I'm not so keen - isn't it dangerous?

lessonsintightropes Thu 24-Oct-13 00:06:36

My sis does this all the time and comes home to lovely stews. Don't worry too much, you can get one of those circuit breaker plug things if you are anxious about current surges.

queenebay Thu 24-Oct-13 00:07:04

Not at all. Mine is on most days

thehorridestmumintheworld Thu 24-Oct-13 00:07:33

That is what they're designed for, its quite safe. Its great to get home to a nice warm casserole too.

Bogeyface Thu 24-Oct-13 00:08:44

Thats what they are made for! You put it on before work and come home to a delicious stew, using less elec than an energy saving light bulb. Whats not to love?!

But if you are twitchy then yy to the circuit breaker in case of a surge, although in 20+ years of using one that has never happened here.

gallicgirl Thu 24-Oct-13 00:10:56

It's very dangeroui.
Probably best to sit and watch it for 10 hours just in case it cooks a lovely stew while you're not looking.

Agree they are meant to be left on all day whilst you get on with other things. They don't need watching.

What do you think will happen that makes it a danger, just as a matter of interest?

annabanana84 Thu 24-Oct-13 00:12:22

Woooow, that's great, thanks! Bacon ribs it is tomorrow then! It'll be like a cook has been in while we've been at work. Fab!

BackforGood Thu 24-Oct-13 00:12:51

Of course you should - that's the point of having one.
It's just the lovliest thing in the world to get in after a long day at work on a dark wintry evening and open the door to the delicious smell of your dinner all ready and cooked for you.

Isetan Thu 24-Oct-13 02:28:38

As others have said, leaving it unattended while your out is part of its design. Do you unplug the fridge, turn off the boiler and never leave the TV on standby (although you really should) when you go out? It's just a new gadget that you have to get used to, however, coming home to the smell of stews and a roast chicken doesn't take much getting used to.

UncleT Thu 24-Oct-13 02:57:07

Hate to be repetitive, but that's precisely what they're for. You should have no fear in leaving it to do its business as that's precisely what it's designed to do.

I have asked my fire fighter friend about this. His view is that you have to clear the area it is on, make sure it is in good working order, no proper kinks in the wire, go for it.

He wouldn't take his shirt off though so I don't know if it was good advice...

MrsMook Thu 24-Oct-13 06:06:50

They cook at a low temperature, about 70oC so don't build up masses of heat.

sashh Thu 24-Oct-13 07:33:45

Do you switch off and unplug your TV, radio, PC, set top box, all lights etc and never ever forget?

Leave it on, it will be fine.

Nottalotta Thu 24-Oct-13 07:41:22

I'm a bit twitchy about it so did some trial runs at the weekends. It made me more twitchy tbh. I used a sachet of casserole mix stuff and this seemed to stiick to the sides of the cooker and would have burnt had i not been there to stir it throughout the day. Is that where i went wrong? With the sachet?

Can anyone suggest fool proof things to cook in it?

Groovee Thu 24-Oct-13 07:44:28

I use mine all the time. There is a fab group on facebook called Slow Cooker Saddos! They have hundreds of recipes which has me cooking far more and a different range from soup and stews.

Pulled pork is my favourite.

SunnyL Thu 24-Oct-13 07:54:01

Nottalotta

Buy some cheap meat, brown it, chuck some veg in, chuck some stock and red wine in. Leave it for 8 hours. Eat the most tender gorgeous caserole. Job done!

GillyBillyWilly Thu 24-Oct-13 07:54:44

I think that's the whole point of a slow cooker!!!!
Go for it and enjoy! grin

GillyBillyWilly Thu 24-Oct-13 07:56:42

I make a lot of chilli in mine.... Delicious smile
Come home from work, chilli is done and then I just shove a couple of packs of rice in the microwave and maybe some garlic bread in the oven quickly.
Mmmmm

JennieR60 Thu 24-Oct-13 08:02:16

Did u mix the sachet with water? In which case it should have been fine. I love my slow cooker I leave mine on all day.

Xxx

JeewizzJen Thu 24-Oct-13 08:06:47

MrsTerryPratchett gringrin

MammaTJ Thu 24-Oct-13 08:08:05

Much better to leave it on while out than be tortured by delicious smells all day!

zebbidy Thu 24-Oct-13 08:11:01

OP i can understand your concern.

For the people saying do you leave your tv on standby, set box etc. Its not a good comparison, because a slow cooker contains a heating element which the others dont. You wouldn't leave an iron or a pair of hair straightners on all day so i can understand where your coming from.

In my line of work we conduct PAT testing, anything with a heating element is already considered a medium risk, then there are others factors that come in to account etc.

GillyBillyWilly Thu 24-Oct-13 08:22:30

I will add that I do understand your concern as well. I'm quite obsessive about making sure everything is off when I leave the house... Don't even leave the tv on standby!

However, the one thing I'm happy to leave on is the slow cooker. I guess i just feel like it's designed to stay on for hours so doesn't make a difference whether I'm at home or not.

Never had any issues and I know lots of people who do the same smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now