I gave my friend armfuls of clothes as she had started a new job and had nothing smart to wear

(152 Posts)
redrubyshoes Wed 23-Oct-13 20:20:50

She was made redundant and it took nearly a year for her to find a new job. Her new position needed her to look smart and I let her raid my wardrobe for suitable clothes and shoes.

The clothes she took with my blessing were LK Bennett, Mulberry, Hobbs etc and I wished her well in her new job.

She told me yesterday she had sold the lot on Ebay for £500+

I gave her the clothes to WEAR not flog. I was made redundant earlier this year and I know how it feels but found work quite quickly (with a massive pay cut).

Ermmm I could have sold them! AIBU? confused Should I ask for 50% of the sale?

wamabama Sat 09-Nov-13 08:50:15

It would be different if you handed her a bag of clothes you didn't want anymore and some of it wasn't to her taste or didn't fit properly. I've been given some clothes for DC that I really didn't like so I either gave them away or sold them straight away, as ungrateful as that may sound. They would be sitting in a bag otherwise and I didn't ask for or need them.

But the fact she chose them and then went on to sell them just sounds like she was profiteering from your generosity to me. She should have asked if you would be ok with her doing that first or if you wanted them back. It could be that she needed the money so thought she'd get a fair amount from them, buy some cheaper work clothes and use the rest of the money for whatever I guess but still, it's rude.

Shonajoy Sat 09-Nov-13 10:54:09

That's totally outrageous!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now