Teachers! I have an excellent parents' evening tip for you.

(157 Posts)
OoozingCervix Wed 23-Oct-13 19:45:10

1. If you have a 10 minute slot and you are still talking after 25 minutes to a parent there is quite obviously an issue that needs to be discussed further at a later date.

2. May I suggest you get a timer? Put it on your table. Set it for 9 minutes. If after the allotted time you are still talking, hand over a card with your email on it and suggest the parent book a further appointment to see you.

IANBU.

youarewinning Sat 26-Oct-13 19:49:43

Last parents eve I arrived 10 minutes early and teacher was free - he invited me in and I jokingly said "hopefully you get get out of here earlier than planned!" He did however say he'd booked a longer slot for me and had further appointments. Bless him - he wanted to show me how well my DS has been doing and what they have put in place (he has SN and SEN). Its these things I really appreciate as I'm sure he does have better things to do of an evening grin

pootlepootle Sat 26-Oct-13 20:08:55

I'm not proud of this fact, but I got banned from parents evening because they thought i might argue about the teacher's methods of dealing with my daughter who has SpLD.

Her method was to ignore her so they tried to ignore me as well.

New school is working so so much better but it's left me very nervous of parents evenings!

IfNotNowThenWhen Sun 27-Oct-13 11:58:09

Hmm. I have to say, threads like this remind me why I found becoming a parent of a school child so intimidating.
Reading teacher threads on here I am always a bit shocked by the sheer vitriol directed towards parents.
Some of you teachers must be parents yourselves, so how does that work? Are you always perfect in that role?
I have a friend who is a teacher, and when her oldest started school she was quite freaked out by realising how different it feels on the "parent" side of the equation.
Not teacher bashing btw-I support teachers and know they work very hard.
I also bring biscuits to parents evening, partly because I am starving coming straight from work too!
I just don't like the the tone of discussions like these. It reminds me of how harshly I used to judge customers when I was a waitress. Especially the ones with kids, God help them!
We are most of us trying to do our jobs in the time frame we have to do them, and we most of us have kids, so can we ever drop the "us and them" attitude?

HarryStottle Sun 27-Oct-13 12:16:33

I don't think the OP was being anti-teacher - more encouraging them to stand shoulder to shoulder with the normal parents and deal swiftly with the parents who feel the need to discuss their speshul snowflakes for 5 times longer than anyone else.
I think we all understand that there will be times when an appt over-runs because of something unexpected coming up but that doesn't appear to be the case when I've sat behind the PFB brigade.
Cory - I'm sorry to hear about your DD and I hope she and you are getting all the help you need.

ForalltheSaints Sun 27-Oct-13 12:26:28

Like it! Just as long as all teachers at the school do it. Pity some other professions could not have the same so that appointments are on time for a change.

Lomaamina Sun 27-Oct-13 17:11:50

This thread has reminded me to put in writing the superlatives our DS (year 11) regularly mentions with regard to his teachers. I did manage to mention to his English teacher when I bumped into her how much he loves her lessons and apparently she was so chuffed she thanked him at his next lesson grin.

And more to the point - we aren't enamoured when his school's system of 5 minute appointments that overrun, but we've never blamed the teachers, just overeager parents. We're super-conscious of the teachers working a 12-hour day, especially how tiring it is doing so in such an intense setting - being switched on and clued up on dozens of students. I find it astonishing how much they seem to know about our child personally, despite being responsible for so many others.

BabyMummy29 Sun 27-Oct-13 17:17:36

At my school parents have 10 minute appointments. A senior pupil stands outside the door with a stopwatch and knocks on the door when 10 minutes are up.

If the parent doesn't leave, they give it another minute and then knock again and open the doorl

As the teacher, I stand up and thank them for coming and show them to the door.

Works perfectly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now