to think that some parents just don't care?

(163 Posts)
SarahAJ Wed 23-Oct-13 19:06:31

Firstly, I know it sounds bad to judge other parents but just as a GENERAL impression of what other parents reckon.The situation is thus.....My DD (reception) is due to start the Read, Write, Inc programme at school. As such, the teachers arranged a great meeting/presentation to help the parents understand the system and show how they can help their children learn to read/write/spell. It was only 45 minutes, starting after drop-off. Out of 50 pupils, less than twenty parents turned up. Its not the first meeting that hardly anyone has attended (we have been to them ALL)and I find it disrespectful to the teachers and quite disgusted that some parents just don't bother.Before anyone mentions the "some parents have to work..... " stuff at me, I fully understand this as both myself and DP work but isn't your childs education important enough to get half a morning off?! My biggest priority right now is my DD's early education. Rant over. Don't get your knickers in a twist too much. Its just a general thing I was wondering. Ta muchly.

toobreathless Sun 27-Oct-13 01:24:04

Some patents just don't care....

And some parents are intelligent enough to be able to research the programme in other ways. I work full time & there is no way I would use a day of annual leave up during a school day when I could spend it with my children during the holidays.

This doesn't mean that my child's early education is not a high priority just that I don't need to be spoon fed it by the school.

YoureBeingAnAnyFuckerFan Sun 27-Oct-13 00:39:39

confused

Does Op have dd3 or ds3? She seems unsure.

What's that sound?

YoureBeingAnAnyFuckerFan Sun 27-Oct-13 00:35:26

Think beyond the end of your own nose OP

grumpyoldbat Sun 27-Oct-13 00:32:30

YABVU and quite frankly you are being offensive to. I do not appreciate being told I do not care about my DC.

I can't just take the morning off. Yes I'm entitled to holidays but they're allocated so I can't chose to fit them in with meetings like this. I hate my job so certainly don't go because I prefer it.

The thing is if I don't go to work I don't get paid. Without my pay I can't pay the rent, energy bills or buy food. What impact would that have on DC do you think? Do you really think it's worth risking that for a meeting that gives information that I can read myself? Do you honestly think not being prepared to risk that makes me a bad parent?

EndoplasmicReticulum Sat 26-Oct-13 22:15:59

I can't get half a morning off.

Who would teach my class?

AndHarry Sat 26-Oct-13 22:06:31

DS starts school next year and I imagine I won't be going to this sort of thing either because I'll have used up my entire annual leave allowance on six weeks' worth of 'settling' hmm for a child who has been at full-time nursery since he was a baby.

Retroformica Sat 26-Oct-13 21:56:05

If it's a second child, all the information is old hat anyway. I already gave a very good understanding of how things work in reception having been through it two years ago.

ATailOfTwoKitties Sat 26-Oct-13 21:50:33

Not sure where that rogue apostrophe appeared from!

ATailOfTwoKitties Sat 26-Oct-13 21:49:53

Me, Apple?
Yep, he could read. Taught himself. He could write, too, or at least draw words, because he has a photographic memory.

He's also autistic', has needed one-to-one help throughout school, and phonics meant nothing to him.

Not really being smug about preschool reading, therefore.

pigletmania Thu 24-Oct-13 23:39:58

Yabvu just because parents don't attend a meeting on reading does not mean they don't care.

Judgy much.

Applefallingfromthetree2 Thu 24-Oct-13 23:35:08

As the replies have shown there is a myriad of reasons why a parent might not attend a meeting like this, very few of which makes them uncaring.

Once again though so much hissing and spitting and venom directed towards the OP. Also hypocritical comments on smug patronising parents by other smug patronising parents who feel the need to talk about how their DC could read before starting school and how able they were at bringing this about.

TheBitchesOfWeestick Thu 24-Oct-13 22:10:31

arf grin

kungfupannda Thu 24-Oct-13 22:07:12

TheBitches - she was probably late for her phonics meeting. wink

Thants Thu 24-Oct-13 22:06:46

I can't just take time off at my work. If someone else is off then I can't take it off simple as that. What would you expert me to do?

TheBitchesOfWeestick Thu 24-Oct-13 22:01:27

Oh, and when I opened this thread I thought it was going to be about the mum who was walking ahead of me on the school run this afternoon, who blanked her toddler's repeated efforts to get her attention until he was screaming, then yelled 'shut up! just shut up! no you can't have it! no I'm not carrying it, SHUT UP!' and threw the stick he'd been carrying over her shoulder so it hit a stranger's car. And then gave him a clip round the ear before going back to ignoring him.

TheBitchesOfWeestick Thu 24-Oct-13 21:59:10

My DS is in Reception. I've missed all three info sessions on this sort of thing, and I'm a SAHM. Somebody slap me!

Session 1: forgot
Session 2: DS had been sent home from school that afternoon with croup
Session 3: DD had been to A&E the night before with croup

I expect we'll muddle through hmm

midlandslurker Thu 24-Oct-13 21:50:52

I can never recall my parents ever being expected to attend such "events" IIRC Parents were only ever summoned to school for parents evening once a year.

My oldest DS is now 27, and again,the only time we were ever invited into school was for parents evening and the nativity play.

Guess what we all learnt to read and write.

FutTheShuckUp Thu 24-Oct-13 21:44:55

Wow bully for you and a old star for your services to perfect parenting. Personally my first priority is working to keep a roof over the kids heads. Reading workshops don't pay the bills sadly.

MidniteScribbler Thu 24-Oct-13 21:21:23

I'll let you in on a little secret...

Teachers don't actually give a toss whether you show up or not. We really don't care. We would much prefer to just get on with the job we are trained to do rather than having to waste hours holding 'information sessions' to explain to parents why we are capable of doing our jobs.

Dayshiftdoris Thu 24-Oct-13 21:05:39

Maybe parents don't go because they've heard its full of smug perfect parents and can't bear to be in their presence....

everlong Thu 24-Oct-13 17:39:09

There's no need for all the parents to go.

If there's a meeting at school either myself or one of two other mums will go,get the relevant information and pass it on.

Ds's education is a pretty big priority too OP but I'm not letting him down if I don't attend something wink

havatry Thu 24-Oct-13 17:08:12

They usually give a handout after the event at our school.

We have quite a lot of these things in a year - we can't take time off work (at ridiculously short notice usually) for all of them.

So I tend to prioritise. If I can get a handout, I don't need to be there. If dc is saying a line in a play, they'll get upset if I'm not there. So I'll try and make that one.

It's really nothing to do with how much people care, just their availability.

lifeinthefastlane1 Thu 24-Oct-13 16:58:17

I dont give a shit how they teach them I have looked around the school, its great, all the children in the school seem to be able to read and write judging by the ofsted reports, I am not a teacher, I have no patience for teaching, and I did not want to go to the meetings to see how they do it. She has to go to school by law, its out of my hands , now they can get on with it, shes reasonably bright I am sure she will do ok, if not the teacher will let me know. I will sit and read with her at home and help with homework but I am afraid that is the extent of involvement I want in the world of education.grin
also was not disrespectful as I opted out with the reply slip so I was not expectedgrinand they actually fell on the days I was doing my induction training for a new job after months of unemployment (bit irrelevant though as I still wouldnt have gone if they hadnt)grin

babywipesaremagic Thu 24-Oct-13 15:03:46

It sounds like this is your first child in reception.

I think if I were you I would save the judge rants until I had more than one half term of school juggling under my belt.

GobbolinoCat Thu 24-Oct-13 14:27:24

Sarah you sound very young and immature.

There is a myriad of reasons why parents cannot attend these things, one might be that their DC can already read, and read very well! Therefore it would serve no purpose to that parent to go!

Again, whilst some DC may not write or read well some parents do an awful lot with them at home and again, feel they do not need to further back this up.

Some parents do also have many jobs where no, time off, a morning off is not ok, not with other children as well, sickness, covering parent when they are also sick and again a host of reasons why they can not get to the school gate.

I agree with you in that right now, my DD's education is the most important thing but you would I am afraid call me a bad parent too, as I was laid up with post operative issues when DD's class thing came in for the reading support and my DH was too busy helping with me and the baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now