to think that some parents just don't care?

(163 Posts)
SarahAJ Wed 23-Oct-13 19:06:31

Firstly, I know it sounds bad to judge other parents but just as a GENERAL impression of what other parents reckon.The situation is thus.....My DD (reception) is due to start the Read, Write, Inc programme at school. As such, the teachers arranged a great meeting/presentation to help the parents understand the system and show how they can help their children learn to read/write/spell. It was only 45 minutes, starting after drop-off. Out of 50 pupils, less than twenty parents turned up. Its not the first meeting that hardly anyone has attended (we have been to them ALL)and I find it disrespectful to the teachers and quite disgusted that some parents just don't bother.Before anyone mentions the "some parents have to work..... " stuff at me, I fully understand this as both myself and DP work but isn't your childs education important enough to get half a morning off?! My biggest priority right now is my DD's early education. Rant over. Don't get your knickers in a twist too much. Its just a general thing I was wondering. Ta muchly.

kungfupannda Thu 24-Oct-13 22:07:12

TheBitches - she was probably late for her phonics meeting. wink

TheBitchesOfWeestick Thu 24-Oct-13 22:10:31

arf grin

Applefallingfromthetree2 Thu 24-Oct-13 23:35:08

As the replies have shown there is a myriad of reasons why a parent might not attend a meeting like this, very few of which makes them uncaring.

Once again though so much hissing and spitting and venom directed towards the OP. Also hypocritical comments on smug patronising parents by other smug patronising parents who feel the need to talk about how their DC could read before starting school and how able they were at bringing this about.

pigletmania Thu 24-Oct-13 23:39:58

Yabvu just because parents don't attend a meeting on reading does not mean they don't care.

Judgy much.

ATailOfTwoKitties Sat 26-Oct-13 21:49:53

Me, Apple?
Yep, he could read. Taught himself. He could write, too, or at least draw words, because he has a photographic memory.

He's also autistic', has needed one-to-one help throughout school, and phonics meant nothing to him.

Not really being smug about preschool reading, therefore.

ATailOfTwoKitties Sat 26-Oct-13 21:50:33

Not sure where that rogue apostrophe appeared from!

Retroformica Sat 26-Oct-13 21:56:05

If it's a second child, all the information is old hat anyway. I already gave a very good understanding of how things work in reception having been through it two years ago.

AndHarry Sat 26-Oct-13 22:06:31

DS starts school next year and I imagine I won't be going to this sort of thing either because I'll have used up my entire annual leave allowance on six weeks' worth of 'settling' hmm for a child who has been at full-time nursery since he was a baby.

EndoplasmicReticulum Sat 26-Oct-13 22:15:59

I can't get half a morning off.

Who would teach my class?

grumpyoldbat Sun 27-Oct-13 00:32:30

YABVU and quite frankly you are being offensive to. I do not appreciate being told I do not care about my DC.

I can't just take the morning off. Yes I'm entitled to holidays but they're allocated so I can't chose to fit them in with meetings like this. I hate my job so certainly don't go because I prefer it.

The thing is if I don't go to work I don't get paid. Without my pay I can't pay the rent, energy bills or buy food. What impact would that have on DC do you think? Do you really think it's worth risking that for a meeting that gives information that I can read myself? Do you honestly think not being prepared to risk that makes me a bad parent?

YoureBeingAnAnyFuckerFan Sun 27-Oct-13 00:35:26

Think beyond the end of your own nose OP

YoureBeingAnAnyFuckerFan Sun 27-Oct-13 00:39:39

confused

Does Op have dd3 or ds3? She seems unsure.

What's that sound?

toobreathless Sun 27-Oct-13 01:24:04

Some patents just don't care....

And some parents are intelligent enough to be able to research the programme in other ways. I work full time & there is no way I would use a day of annual leave up during a school day when I could spend it with my children during the holidays.

This doesn't mean that my child's early education is not a high priority just that I don't need to be spoon fed it by the school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now