Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To be so fucking sick of cooking food that my DS's don't eat...

(87 Posts)
GoofyIsACow Wed 23-Oct-13 17:55:34

Aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhh

Is all

angry

FlapJackOLantern Wed 23-Oct-13 17:56:35

What do you do when they won't eat it?

moogy1a Wed 23-Oct-13 17:57:22

what was it?

ancientbuchanan Wed 23-Oct-13 17:58:33

How old are they?

moogalicious Wed 23-Oct-13 17:59:06

How old are they?

<waves to fellow moog>

lifeinthefastlane1 Wed 23-Oct-13 17:59:36

welcome to my world what a pain it is! got a lovely shepherds pie sat here getting faffed about with grrrr!

Sirzy Wed 23-Oct-13 17:59:48

Depends how old and what you are making really.

YANBU. Don't do it!

SinisterBuggyMonth Wed 23-Oct-13 18:12:07

Yanbu

MrsBucketxx Wed 23-Oct-13 18:13:40

Yanbu I feel your pain too.

Even stuff my dc have eaten lots of times before.

ohmymimi Wed 23-Oct-13 18:15:29

Are you Ria Parkinson by any chance?

CaptainSweatPants Wed 23-Oct-13 18:16:58

was it oysters grin

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Wed 23-Oct-13 18:19:26

Yep. I used to love cooking before I had children.

Anyway, I've decided the only way forward is not to give a shit - I make healthy food, put it on the table, and the rest is up to them. Basically take it or leave it, just don't whinge about it!

And no pudding unless you've eaten a decent amount/been polite etc. Probably bribery, but never mind.

MoominsYonisAreScary Wed 23-Oct-13 18:20:07

Me too, if one its it the other two wont. Today it was lasagne

MoominsYonisAreScary Wed 23-Oct-13 18:21:49

And what fruitsalad said

RedPencils Wed 23-Oct-13 18:28:42

I go through for phases of 'thinks what I've made, eat or go hungry' but I always cave in the end and go back to eleventy million variations of the same meal.
I hate family cooking.

sparkle12mar08 Wed 23-Oct-13 18:32:15

I'm hardcore with along with FruitSalad. Eat it or not, I don't care, but there's nothing else and no whinging. Makes life much easier. Yes I try to cook meals they will each eat at least a good part of, but I will not tolerate silliness about foods I know they have eaten in the past.

specialsubject Wed 23-Oct-13 18:37:29

house not restaurant. sparkle has it in one.

sherbetpips Wed 23-Oct-13 18:44:20

I am hard core with eating now, sick of him rejecting different foods dependent on the day. He knows he has to just get on and eat it now and I have conceded that he hates mash potato and roast potato so I don't stick it on the plate anymore (although I am adept at hiding mash).

MaryZombie Wed 23-Oct-13 18:45:29

Just mark time.

Mine are teenagers, and will eat anything and everything.

Now I'm just sick of cooking.

HappyMummyOfOne Wed 23-Oct-13 18:49:47

I dont cook foods we dont like so dont have this but know friends do as they believe it will make their children less fussy. It doesnt, just means life is harder and more unpleasant.

CustardOmlet Wed 23-Oct-13 18:53:42

Mine won't eat banana. He clearly does not appreciate the suffering I go through to peal that banana, the rancid smell and dirty mush on my hands, all for him to reject it. I thought all children liked banana?

bearsmum123 Wed 23-Oct-13 19:06:54

I'm a massive believer in not banning something from ever entering a kids line of sight again just because they announce they hate it now. Its a good exercise in learning to get a grip around foods you think you don't like, to try something, politely decline and eat around it is as much a table skill as using a fork IMO.
Cant be arsed begging him to try but wont watch soppy antics either (cant eat that cos it touched a bean....)

Topseyt Wed 23-Oct-13 19:09:15

I am of the take it or leave it camp too. In this house they have what I provide or they get nothing. That is the choice.

When they were younger I had to harden up when they whinged about what was provided. This is not a restaurant. Oddly enough, none of them has starved yet. grin

bearsmum123 Wed 23-Oct-13 19:10:50

Read something recently where someone said each child in their family is allowed three foods they absolutely don't like and don't get given, any new ones and they have to take another off the list.
Can't remember who said it but I think its a good idea ion theory.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now