Even non-religious parents should have their children baptised

(69 Posts)

This is according to Joanne Moorhead in the Guardian (link here).

She says that "^baptism is an age-old rite of passage that provides one of those all-important moments in family life when we pause, take stock, and think about both where we've come from and where we're going, and how important it is to support one another along the way^". I've never been to a baptism or naming ceremony (she mentions those towards the end of the piece) where any of that happened tbh, it's always just been an excuse for a party!

Which is fine, but I don't agree that it's a necessary part of family life and tbh I think she's talking nonsense. If you want to have your child baptised or have a naming ceremony then go ahead; if you don't, don't. AIBU?

Italics fail there. hmm

Sirzy Wed 23-Oct-13 17:47:34

Why would someone who wasn't religious want to get their child baptised?

I am Christian so my son is Baptised, but I wouldn't have chosen to have a 'welcome ceremony' from another religion because it would be meaningless to me. Surely that is the same for non-christians when it comes to Baptism?

What a load of shite.

I don't need a ceremony to appreciate my family and my life and to be aware of where I've come from and where I'm going.

I would imagine I spend more time doing that than your average church goer.

And also this

jammiedonut Wed 23-Oct-13 17:51:39

I'm pretty sure I thought about all those things before I decided to have a child, it seems a bit odd to say that's why we should all baptise our children!

ColderThanAWitchsTitty Wed 23-Oct-13 17:55:05

Even non-religious parents should have one

um no. And why not just choose a ceremony from any random religion if it has no inherent meaning to you? Why does a Christian ritual have so much meaning?

This is why I like baby showers yeah I said it

no religious bolleaux just everyone being nice and buying someone baby gear from a list

SatinSandals Wed 23-Oct-13 17:57:02

If you are taking stock and thinking you would realise that you are making specific promises which are something the majority of people can't do. I haven't bothered to read it, it is such nonsense.

Fleta Wed 23-Oct-13 17:59:48

Absolute nonsense

I'd far rather wait until my child is old enough to make up their own mind. How awful of me.

grimbletart Wed 23-Oct-13 17:59:53

Rubbish: I preferred my DCs to choose what religion, if any, they wished to follow when they are of an age to do so.

What utter rubbish.

It is a religious ceremony, no one who doesn't actually believe in mythical beings in the sky needs to take part.

Pennyacrossthehall Wed 23-Oct-13 18:01:17

Well, I think that Joanne can fuck off.

neunundneunzigluftballons Wed 23-Oct-13 18:02:17

I'm totally non religious we had one for our kids. TBH it was really more about covering the kids asses in case we are wrong about their being no God.

MsWilliamTheBloody Wed 23-Oct-13 18:02:18

Even non-religious parents should have one.

Isn't that really offensive though?

I'm not religious and if I took part in a religious thing I'd feel a) rude, b) like I was taking the piss and c) that I was wasting someone's time.

thebody Wed 23-Oct-13 18:02:37

she sounds a daft mare op.

Pennyacrossthehall Wed 23-Oct-13 18:03:27

To elaborate: I don't believe in the SkyFairies, so I can't see any reason to observe their senseless rituals.

However, if we're all doing baptism presumably we are also all doing circumcision, FGM, fasting, daily prayer etc etc etc

Twat.

Sirzy Wed 23-Oct-13 18:05:06

So if your baptising children "just in case" are you going to have them welcomed into other religions to? Or have you just picked one to edge your bets with?

motherinferior Wed 23-Oct-13 18:08:15

I am very fond of Joanna - she's a very nice woman and in fact the reason I found MN in the first place - but I don't agree. I do think a ceremony of some sort is nice, and slightly regret we didn't do it for the Inferiorettes, but I think if you have no connection with a religion at all it's not going to be the right thing for you.

I feel the same about funerals - they are a hugely important rite of passage in our lives, but work better if they are tied in with the life of the person who died, which may involve religion or may not. I've been to amazing church funerals, but my own send-off will be different.

ohmymimi Wed 23-Oct-13 18:08:28

But she isn't saying non-Christians should have their children baptised. Baptism is a religious ceremony; she advocates non-religious ceremonies for non-believers, as a rite of passage. I can't see anything wrong with that, it's a matter of personal choice. What I do object to is non-believers, or even non-churchgoers, using a church as 'staging' for their weddings etc. I'm sure Jesus wouldn't, but he was a better human than I.

TheGirlOnTheLanding Wed 23-Oct-13 18:08:59

Erm, been a while since I was at a baptism but am fairly sure the parents have to make promises about bringing the child up to follow God/Jesus so non-religious parents would have a problem with that bit, surely? I just don't buy that rites of passage have to take place in a church to be meaningful and would feel like a huge hypocrite to have got married in a church or baptised my kids when I'm an atheist. Sounds like someone was on a deadline and was short of material to me.

fifi669 Wed 23-Oct-13 18:11:07

What would you guys think about a parent refusing to have DC christened when the other parent is a Christian?

ohmymimi Wed 23-Oct-13 18:11:08

That should be "Jesus wouldn't object'.

neunundneunzigluftballons Wed 23-Oct-13 18:11:30

I think christening a child when you do not believe in god is enough bet hedging for one family. That and culturAlly I have absolutely no idea what other religions do and since I don't believe it is hardly worth the bother of finding out.

TheGirlOnTheLanding Wed 23-Oct-13 18:11:38

Cross post with Mimi there! But I think we seem to be saying much the same thing albeit from completely different viewpoints.

TheGirlOnTheLanding Wed 23-Oct-13 18:13:47

Fifi, if my DH had been Christian I wouldn't have been happy about the DC being christened either - I would have wanted to wait till they were old enough to decide for themselves.

jammiedonut Wed 23-Oct-13 18:15:50

I refused, even though dh is Christian. I will take my son to church with dh and allow him to make the decision to be baptised when he is old enough to know the reason for it. This is hat happened in my family (I am the only atheist), and my dh is entirely satisfied.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now