Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To inwardly rage against people who won't recycle

(226 Posts)
siblingrevelry Wed 23-Oct-13 13:42:37

My dad told me that his neighbours either side have told him they 'can't be bothered' to recycle as per the new scheme in the area, and will just continue putting everything into their main bin.

It pisses me off that people are seemingly allowed to opt out of this public duty. I am very environmentally aware, although i realise that scraping shit off babie's nappies is a step too far for lots of folks, but why should I and many others bother washing tins, squashing plastic and taking out the recycling when others don't?

I appreciate that the jury is still out on global warming, but there is no denying that the physical space this stuff takes up in landfill affects us all.

Lazy, lazy, lazy!

NotYoMomma Wed 23-Oct-13 13:48:19

we recycle. we have a very nice recycling bin for all the recyclable stuff

we recently visited friends down south and they had like 6 boxes they had to keep in their not massive house! food waste, cardboard paper, plastic, glass etc

I was like shock
urgh!

ImAFrequentNameChanger Wed 23-Oct-13 13:51:13

YANBU. A friend is staying with us atm, the plastic/metal bag is right next to the kitchen bin and she still puts her cans in the bin not the recycling, it's driving me batty because I have to keep fishing them out.

absentmindeddooooodles Wed 23-Oct-13 13:55:12

For some ots easier said than done. Im all for recycling I genuinley am and try to do ot all the time.

However.....we very rarely have people come to pick it up here. Ive lived in this house for 7 months and have only once seen the recycling picked up.

I have phoned the council but they said something about lack of funding.

I dont deive and the nearest recycling place is nearly 3 miles away. Its hideous weather now, and even if it wasnt I cant drag my 2 year old all that way with bags and bags of stuff.

When dp gets a car again we will start doing it weekley, but for now I just cant keep months worth of it all in my tiny tiny house! Theres literally no room!

SprinkleLiberally Wed 23-Oct-13 13:55:41

People should recycle. But some councils don't make it easy. We have to drive plastics, cardboard, tetrapaks etc to the tip as they don't collect from doorstep. I've got so fed up with my kitchen being full of rubbish. Especially being at work during tip opening hours.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Wed 23-Oct-13 13:57:22

We have a recycling bin and a food waste bin, they are free from the council so I really don't understand anyone that wouldn't use them. We can pay for a garden waste bin too.

The only thing I would really like is a wheelie bin instead of our normal heavy thing.

MadeOfStarDust Wed 23-Oct-13 13:58:35

there is something to be said for balance though -

think of all that drinkable water you are using to rinse out the tins/milk cartons etc...

think of the families shoehorned into flats who have 4 or 5 recycling boxes to find room for -

and on days the recycling lorry can't get round the roads here, they send the landfill one - to pick up all our lovely clean, sorted rubbish and chuck it all in the back with the general waste. (water/time/space wasted for the last 4 weeks!)

MuffCakes Wed 23-Oct-13 14:06:05

We have loads here and I do do it but I'm not fanatical about it. We have glass. tins, cardboard and garden waste, food scraps <blurgh which i refuse to do we have enough foxes around> and a black bin.

TheBigJessie Wed 23-Oct-13 14:11:09

I don't use drinkable water to do the rinsing. Do some people?

TheBigJessie Wed 23-Oct-13 14:11:41

I don't use drinkable water to do the rinsing. Do some people?

TheBigJessie Wed 23-Oct-13 14:12:04

Sorry about the double post.

Fleta Wed 23-Oct-13 14:17:29

I cannot remember the last time our recyle lorry came around.

Excused have involved "icy road" - that lasted up until April.....then "difficulties getting passed the building site" - one of the planning application objections the council overturned as "unfounded" was the fact that this might be an issue.

Our recycle bin is full to bursting. I make trips to the tip but not everyone is able to do that

NoComet Wed 23-Oct-13 14:22:36

Our Recycling collection is very reliable, but very limited - no plastic or card.

Our local tip is open Wednesday working hours and Sat mornings, not exactly brilliant!

pianodoodle Wed 23-Oct-13 14:25:20

If I didn't recycle the main bin would get full too quickly so it makes life easier to use the recycling boxes.

Davsmum Wed 23-Oct-13 14:32:19

YANBU.
It annoys me too and it also annoys me when people moan there are not enough bin collections but they cannot be arsed to break down boxes before putting them in their bin or they buy too much stuff and end up throwing it away.
BUT - its their choice so I try not to think about it. Life is too short.

siblingrevelry Wed 23-Oct-13 14:32:21

I guess I'm judging people a bit harshly-if the collection or disposal of recycling isn't up to scratch then I can understand it not happening. I naively thought local councils were all working on it.

The people who get me miffed are those like my dad's neighbours. The council has provided a wheelie red-lidded recycling bin for tins/plastic/glass in one section, and paper and cardboard (so no real 'sorting'), aswell as a large green wheelie bin for food and garden waste. They now do fortnightly collections, alternating between regular waste one week, recycled waste the next. Even in snow the recycling lorry comes round, so why they can't be arsed to drag a wheelie bin to the bottom if the drive once a fortnight is beyond me.

sparkle12mar08 Wed 23-Oct-13 14:44:26

I flatly refuse to use the food recycling caddy in the kitchen in the summer because of the risk of maggots. I double bag all food waste and put it in the outside bin immediately. I would happily do this with the compostable food liners and put it in the outside garden waste bin as we should, but the council limit the number of liners we are allowed to have, so I don't. Sue me. Everything else I do happily.

sonlypuppyfat Wed 23-Oct-13 14:48:09

My family would drive you mad I have to dig stuff out the bins to wash and recycle.

AKAK81 Wed 23-Oct-13 14:48:16

Most stuff goes in the general bin in our house. To be frank the recycling nazis can go and fuck themselves.

queenmools Wed 23-Oct-13 14:50:06

Yanbu it annoys me too.

Grumpywino Wed 23-Oct-13 14:50:26

A number of councils are using recycling companies that actually still send this recycled junk to landfill sites abroad. Every so often the tabloids/broadsheets rehash this as new news. I'm amazed it is isn't common knowledge.

DontMentionThePrunes Wed 23-Oct-13 14:50:58

YABU

It's not obvious that recycling is doing any good. It is tedious, the boxes and bins multiply every year and take up space looking untidy (unless you are lucky enough to have a garage where you can hide them).

We do do it out of habit but some days I just think: fuck this.

NoComet Wed 23-Oct-13 14:52:23

I chuck food waste straight in the outside caddy without liners is foul and I don't care!

shrunkenhead Wed 23-Oct-13 14:53:47

It's beyond me, some people seem quite pleased with themselves for refusing to recycle! I know a man who says it's all too Leftie and will not recycle on principe/cos he knows it winds me up!

Flicktheswitch Wed 23-Oct-13 14:58:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now