...to be surprised at this 2yo still sitting in a baby-stage highchair at the table?

(97 Posts)
HowlerMonkey Tue 22-Oct-13 21:35:56

Our DS1 got shifted out of his highchair and into a booster seat when he was 19mo, in order to make room for DS2 (who was 6mo at the time).

Consequently I was a bit surprised to see a photo of one of DS1's friends (who is 2 weeks younger than him) at his family dinner table in one of those giant highchairs which you'd happily put a 6mo baby in (i.e. very supportive and all-encompassing). I think his mum may have been spoonfeeding him too - if I tried that with DS1 he'd grab it off me with a 'Mother, what are you DOING?' look hmm

The little boy is physically capable of feeding himself (I've seen him do it) and NT as far as I'm aware.

I do understand putting toddlers in highchairs when you're out to imprison them - I do that myself. But at home? At this age? Is that usual? I'm not sure whether we just moved DS1 up really early or what.

I'm not looking for a row or to be told how unpleasant I am; I'm just curious as to other people's outlooks. Thanks in advance!

Wow, your DS is so advanced. Well done you. Everyone else is just crap.

ICameOnTheJitney Tue 22-Oct-13 21:52:27

I get where OP is coming from. at two and a half it's not really good for the child to be rammed into a highchair unless he's tiny....my friend's DS is still prised into his at 3 and a half ffs and it winds me right up. The poor lad needs to move on.

Beavie Tue 22-Oct-13 21:52:28

Dd is 3.3 and still uses her antilop. So does her friend who is 3.9. They both choose to sit in them rather than a chair, and it suit me because she tends to eat better when she is in it.

thebody Tue 22-Oct-13 21:52:34

if you have kids close together age wise, like we sort of did, then the older one gets shifted on pretty soon. the younger one stays the babe.

my 4 : older 2 16 months apart and the 9 years later 2 more 16 months apart.

it's just life!!

ChippingInNeedsSleepAndCoffee Tue 22-Oct-13 21:53:15

Oh FGS. If you just wanted an overview your OP wouldn't have been full of pointed comments. You were after a row or gold stars...which?

halcyondays Tue 22-Oct-13 21:54:13

I don't suppose it's that unusual. Tbh I can't remember what age my two were when we stopped using highchairs.

mikkii Tue 22-Oct-13 21:54:13

DD2 has just turned 3, at the dining table she uses a trip trapp style chair. In the kitchen she uses the same high chair DS started using at 4 months. It suits us for her to use that chair in the kitchen a there isn't enough room for all 3DC at the breakfast bar without blocking the fridge.

MYOB

HowlerMonkey Tue 22-Oct-13 21:54:38

I never said DS1 was advanced or anything of the sort. I said he got moved up earlier 'cos we have a smaller child.

I was just wondering when, in other homes, highchairs tend to get shoved in the garage. Maybe I should have stated it that way to start with. It wasn't my intention to sound superior, honestly.

ICameOnTheJitney Tue 22-Oct-13 21:54:44

Like the OP I wonder why that's all. Most 3 year olds sit perfectly well in a chair...why not use one? Highchairs take up masses of space.

MammaTJ Tue 22-Oct-13 21:54:59

My DD1,PFB, was in a high chair until she was 3, and fed my me up until 2 at least. She is 18 and survived my not allowing her to grow up, and even grew up eventually. grin

My DD2 and DS sat in a high chair for about a year for meals, fed themselves much earlier and will still be the same at 18 as DD1.

IT DOESN'T MATTER!

runningonwillpower Tue 22-Oct-13 21:55:07

You are being unreasonable. Why are you even comparing at this level of parental choice?

You've got a long journey ahead.

JockTamsonsBairns Tue 22-Oct-13 21:55:16

Goodness, what does "following the usual toddler timelines" even mean? Is this something else I've been getting wrong then?

Note to OP - none of this matters.

HowlerMonkey Tue 22-Oct-13 21:56:32

I wish I could backtrack and ask a general 'When did your child stop using a highchair?' question. I didn't mean to cause this amount of annoyance!

jessieagain Tue 22-Oct-13 21:57:03

Yabu

You had a reason to buy a booster and move your ds out at that age.

I don't see the point of buying a booster yet, no younger dcs and ds 2.5 is happy enough in his ikea one.

We took the tray table off so he eats at the table with us.

I will put him in his highchair for as long as he needs to be in there (which is until he can sit on a regular chair) as long as doesn't mind too much (which is when I will get a booster if if he is still too small for regular chair).

I don't think it will harm his development. Also sitting in a booster seat isn't a development milestone to achieve as far as I'm aware of hmm

ChippingInNeedsSleepAndCoffee Tue 22-Oct-13 21:57:08

I think his mum may have been spoonfeeding him too - if I tried that with DS1 he'd grab it off me with a 'Mother, what are you DOING?' look

The little boy is physically capable of feeding himself (I've seen him do it) and NT as far as I'm aware

I do understand putting toddlers in highchairs when you're out to imprison them - I do that myself. But at home? At this age?

I'm not looking for a row or to be told how unpleasant I am

hmm

thestauntonlick Tue 22-Oct-13 21:57:53

I kept ds in his until he complained his legs were hurting blush. I liked having him unable to run off during meals.

HowlerMonkey Tue 22-Oct-13 21:58:12

Ok, alright, IABU. I am sorry for wondering about things that do not directly impact on my day-to-day life and that I will never actually talk to my friends about because I don't want to inadvertently offend them. I am sorry for thinking it would be ok to ask about it on an anonymous forum.

Sorry. Yeesh.

CecilyP Tue 22-Oct-13 22:00:53

It's not a bloody competition. You needed the high chair for a younger child - they didn't. No problem.

DS wouldn't go in a high chair after 18 months, threw a tantrum when I tried to put him in, so had to manage without. Didn't think it was anything to boast about. And he was so skinny he would probably have fitted the thing till he was 5.

ArtexMonkey Tue 22-Oct-13 22:02:15

It never ceases to amaze me what people on here will find to concern themselves with.

HowlerMonkey Tue 22-Oct-13 22:03:09

I WASN'T INTENDING TO BOAST. Argh.

I have clearly phrased this very badly so I've just asked them to delete it. Sorry to have wound anyone up.

bundaberg Tue 22-Oct-13 22:03:25

does it really matter? confused

ThoughtsPlease Tue 22-Oct-13 22:04:07

Good grief in a high chair until 19m?

Even DC1 was in a booster seat before that, and by DC3 well I'd sold the high chair years before, he had a booster seat as soon as he could sit up, no high chair to be seen.

Oh and he's perfectly capable at 17m of now feeding himself, but given too much freedom with the cutlery, he repeatedly chucks it on the floor, and drives me nuts!

morethanpotatoprints Tue 22-Oct-13 22:05:24

My ds1 was still in his high chair at 2, so what?
He's 22 now and functioning very well, ta.
What's it got to do with you anyway?
YABVVVVVVVu

ChippingInNeedsSleepAndCoffee Tue 22-Oct-13 22:07:17

Jitney - ours doesn't. It's a TripTrap, it pushes under the high oak table, small person is 2.6, we have a heavy tiled floor. It's safer than her sitting on some kind of booster (which she'd need or her nose wouldn't clear the table!!) and faffing about the way 2 year olds do. She doesn't sit in one when out (unless she wont do as she's told - then it's the 'baby chair'), but the tables are normally lower, the floors not so hard etc as well as that natural 'slight caution' they have when not at home.

SPsTombRaidingWithCliff Tue 22-Oct-13 22:07:47

My son came out of me and asked for calamari and twirled his moustache. No need for these baby things, especially high chairs and booster seats.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now