to think that the whole Guy Fawkes/Bonfire Night stuff should be banned

(129 Posts)
MaryZombie Tue 22-Oct-13 21:14:01

because it's anti-Catholic and encourages yobbos to go around begging for money and lighting fires.

To to mention the fact that people, even children are having FUN. Which should of course be banned.

ScabbyOozingCarbuncle Thu 24-Oct-13 21:52:11

I beat you to it Tiggs! wink
He was only a terrorist because he failed! If they had succeeded they'd probably be saints!

TiggyD Thu 24-Oct-13 15:18:39

It's anti one particular cataholic. And he was a terrorist.

I believe the Lewes Pope burning thing is one particular Pope and not just any old Pope.

A quicker way to hell

all i said was...

that piece of halibut was good enough for jehovah...

SaskiaRembrandtVampireHunter Thu 24-Oct-13 12:47:28

This is my favourite Jesus www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuKV2Z3eYTY

Off to ponder why Business Jesus has a mullet ...

ProudAS Thu 24-Oct-13 12:27:46

I went to s catholic school and bonfire night was never discouraged. I could quite happily do without Halloween though.

OrmirianResurgam Thu 24-Oct-13 11:30:08

My own personal Jesus?

Greavesey Wed 23-Oct-13 12:21:33
Greavesey Wed 23-Oct-13 12:19:28

I like Woody Allen Jesus

Fakebook Wed 23-Oct-13 11:46:17

Yanbu. Lets ban everything that is remotely fun or enjoyable for families. Why should anyone have any fun in their lives? Life is about working and surviving each day, not stupid Americanised "holidays". Stupid people.

LucySnoweShouldRelax Wed 23-Oct-13 11:43:33

FWIW, in quite a number of rural parishes in Ireland, bonfire night is in June, around midsummer's night, I think it's been claimed in the name of the feast day of Sts Peter and Paul?

Should be banned, in any case.

TEErickOrTEEreat Wed 23-Oct-13 11:40:05

These paintings just prove that Jesus is everywhere.*

*For the record? I'm Jewish. thlgrin

OrmirianResurgam Wed 23-Oct-13 11:30:34

But the American Puritans seemed even more enthusiastic about it! grin

x-post with cory blush

Burning at the stake has being going on since before America was even a sparkle in a Puritan's eye. I went on an open day to my university with my dad, and at one point on the tour of the town that they get the ambassadors to do, he said (far too loudly around people that don't already know his sense of humour) that "Well that's it decided, you're coming here!" when we were told about heretics protestants being burned at the stake during the Reformation, the two famous ones being done in 1528 and 1546. It had been done on the continent for at least 400 years previous.

(I'm a little bit sad that this is the first time since having DS that my medieval history degree has come in useful...)

AnaisHellWitch Wed 23-Oct-13 11:24:04

My DS would love that!

You'll need more that a fireproof suit where you're going, Scabby grin

ScabbyOozingCarbuncle Wed 23-Oct-13 11:21:31

<<dons fireproof suit>>

ScabbyOozingCarbuncle Wed 23-Oct-13 11:20:30
cory Wed 23-Oct-13 11:18:18

Burning witches is not an American invention: it was popular on the Continent. Except in Spain where they burnt heretics.

AnaisHellWitch Wed 23-Oct-13 11:18:05

Oh yes, dicso Jesus is ace.

You get a lot of this sort of "art" on the Landover Baptist Church Forum. That's an interesting one, the premise being that the forum members are all massive trolls and set up to provoke outrage from hapless newbies.

ScabbyOozingCarbuncle Wed 23-Oct-13 11:14:56

Aksherly, all the witches were hanged round here as well!

Tee I think Business Jesus is now firmly in the top 3, having relegated Smashing Up the Temple Jesus down to 4th, and coming in behind Baby Jesus (still at number 1 - he's just so cute!) and Wedding at Cana Jesus (Water into wine - that's a messiah I can get behind grin).

I'm so glad my gran can't see me rating Jesuses....

ScabbyOozingCarbuncle Wed 23-Oct-13 11:13:59

Fecking phone app! here

ScabbyOozingCarbuncle Wed 23-Oct-13 11:12:08

My favourite [[ http://touch.dailymotion.com/video/xupw0_jesus-i-will-survive_fun Jesus]]

AnaisHellWitch Wed 23-Oct-13 11:11:02

I might buy my Jehovah's Witness DF one of those for christmas

She said it again!!!

Popular with Creationists, that one Tee.

TEErickOrTEEreat Wed 23-Oct-13 11:09:19

Anais, I love that one!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now