re veggie options

(76 Posts)
fairy1303 Mon 21-Oct-13 13:33:18

I'm a vegetarian. Went to m&s cafe. They had one veggie option, tomato soup. Nothing else. All sandwiches had meat in.

Ordered my drinks, ordered my soup. She started making our drinks, then tells me they have run out of soup.

So I said, oh, well do you have anything else vegetarian?

I was offered fruit.

Apologised, said I would have to go somewhere else.

Girl looked me up and down and said ' well, I've made your drinks now, you will have to pay for them!

AIBU? I think that is ridiculous given that they had run out of anything I could eat and she had started making the drinks before she told me??

bittapitta Mon 21-Oct-13 13:42:56

Yanbu, that's crappy. Send them a complaint via email or their website.

senmerrygoround Mon 21-Oct-13 13:44:28

YANBU. Definitely complain provide feedback to M&S!

SugarplumKate Mon 21-Oct-13 13:54:40

Yanbu - that is rubbish service, I would complain.

LittleBairn Mon 21-Oct-13 13:57:27

Bad service I hope you didn't pay! You ordered food and she didn't tell you it was unavalibke until half the order had been completed that's her problem not yours.
I was Vegan for many years and often faced this problem with all veggie ( 1 if your lucky!) smothered in cheese.

runningonwillpower Mon 21-Oct-13 13:58:11

M&S cafes are shite though.

And they make the whole shop smell shite. It puts me off.

Who wants to buy clothes that smell like a cafe?

nicename Mon 21-Oct-13 13:58:18

They didn't offer to get something off the shelf for you. I'm surprised, the staff in our local M&S cafés are rally lovely and helpful.

nicename Mon 21-Oct-13 13:58:57

That should have been 'the didn't offer.....for you?'

Famzilla Mon 21-Oct-13 13:58:59

YANBU. Complain.

Scholes34 Mon 21-Oct-13 14:13:07

Veggie options in most places leave a lot to be desired. I have one child who is vegetarian. Now I've started looking in more details at the vegetarian options in restaurants, I realise that choice is very limited when we're wanting a selection of meat and vegetarian meals. DS2 doesn't like beans, so that rules out a lot of places.

OP - I hope you didn't stay around for the drinks.

PenguinsDontEatPancakes Mon 21-Oct-13 14:15:06

That is rubbish. I would email them and complain. Or tweet them.

PenguinsDontEatPancakes Mon 21-Oct-13 14:15:20

I hope you didn't pay up?

WaitMonkey Mon 21-Oct-13 14:17:57

YANBU. Did you pay ?

phantomnamechanger Mon 21-Oct-13 14:18:30

You should at the very least have been offered the drinks on the house. Does the M&S do food/sandwiches etc - I too am surprised they did not offer to get you something off the shelf of the store. a boxed salad or cold pasta dish or sandwich for example. Or a tin of soup!

MrsLouisTheroux Mon 21-Oct-13 14:41:12

Did you pay? I would have said "Sorry, I don't want only half of my order". If she had insisted a walk over to customer services would have been my next move!

Wow - they could at least have offered to make you cheese on toast? An Omlette? Egg Sandwich? Jacket with cheese. Nothing inspiring but at least an effort.

PumpkinPie2013 Mon 21-Oct-13 15:14:49

YANBU - I hope you didn't pay for the drinks?!

struggling100 Mon 21-Oct-13 15:17:28

YANBU! Rubbish! It's easy to make yummy veggie food... no excuse for there being no options.

I think things are getting worse in this department. Five years ago, very few places did just one veggie main. Now I see this more and more - and there's a real emphasis on red meat too.

Deliaskis Mon 21-Oct-13 15:20:46

Also surprised they didn't just go and pick something up from the food hall bit of the shop. Ours frequently does on things that have run out or things that are just a bit 'off-menu'.

Greydog Mon 21-Oct-13 15:30:58

agree with that struggling - it's definately getting worse for veggies, far fewer options - and my DH is a coelic veggie, which makes eating out - an adventure. He's so fed up (as a recent convert) he's thinking of going back to meat. I've been looking at all the Christmas menus for an office outing, and where the carnivores get 3 choices the poor old veggies are left with whatever there is.

MrsBungle Mon 21-Oct-13 15:34:23

That's rubbish service although I'm surprised. My dh is veggie and mil is coeliac - everytime we've been to m and s cafe there's been loads for both of them, inc gluten free bread sandwiches for mil.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Mon 21-Oct-13 15:39:45

Well seeing as m&s pride itself on customer service you should complain. Sounds like the girl making the drinks need a chat on customer care.

DidoTheDodo Mon 21-Oct-13 15:43:03

And the veggie option is always mushroom risotto or vegetable in filo pastry and rarely contains any protein.

Greydog Mon 21-Oct-13 15:45:59

We went to a meal - which was pre ordered - and they "ran out" of the veggie option for me, and for DH they took the pastry top off the meat pie that others were having. I went out to the car and got a cheese sandwich from earlier in the day and ate that - staff were not amused! We got our money back tho'!

Fakebook Mon 21-Oct-13 15:50:20

Soup isn't even food. It's like a warm milkshake. I'd make a complaint.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now