Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think that central heating is a thing of the past?

(174 Posts)
hiddenhome Mon 21-Oct-13 13:13:15

More and more people seem to be unable to afford to use their central heating sad

How long before we all go back to just having a fire in the lounge?

We no longer use our central heating and think of it as an unaffordable luxury. We've even had radiators removed as they were taking up room. We just have a multifuel stove that we use to heat the lounge and open the door if we want heat upstairs overnight.

exmrs Mon 21-Oct-13 13:51:16

on my Facebook newsfeed a British gas post appeared saying they are committed to making our houses warmer this winter and about 3000 comments asking if they are taking the piss , I had to laugh at one comment although it isn't funny that heating is so expensive that they wrote it would be cheaper for them to burn their house down than put the heating on but at least they'd be warm

solveproblem Mon 21-Oct-13 13:51:21

Central heating is not the issue, it is far more efficient to distribute heat than a fire.

Gas, on the other hand, should be a thing of the past! There are at better energy sources out there!

samu2 Mon 21-Oct-13 13:51:27

I grew up without CH and just an electric fire in two rooms.

It was miserable. I am cold blooded and hated the whole house not being warm. I would never not have ch for my children unless I had no other choice.

I still remember having to get in and out of the bath freezing my arse off, the trouble getting out of bed because I was so cold and dreaded coming down to a cold house.

As a teen we got some electric heaters in our rooms but the second the doors were open the room would lose all the heat.

My MIL has ch but only lights her fire. I used to dread going there in the winter. Being cold makes me feel ill.

HeadsDownThumbsUp Mon 21-Oct-13 13:55:18

This is an interesting question. I grew up without CH, and it was horrible. Unfortunately, given the expense of CH now, I think that the idea of heating the whole house is going to look increasingly anachronistic.

MrsAmaretto Mon 21-Oct-13 13:56:16

I've had my central heating on all year. Live in the northern isles, it's been a dreadful summer. The radiators come on at 18degrees, 17 in kids rooms. Currently inside warm as a gale blows outside!

My gripe is we have heating oil which is completely unregulated. It's gone up 20p per litre (from 40-60p) in the last 18months & we spend about £3-4k a year which, according to friends & neighbours is average, plus electricity

nurseneedshelp Mon 21-Oct-13 13:56:31

I'm with you on this one op.
I hate having the central heating on, my theory is "stick another jumper on"

We're all healthy, no colds etc because having the heating on is unhealthy, the germs multiply like crazy.

Can't stand the stuffiness of the central heating.

Methe Mon 21-Oct-13 13:56:59

It's all very well not having central heating if you've got a fireplace or room for a log burner/stove. We don't have either, or room to install them. There is not a cat in hells chace of me giving up my central heating. We don't have it on much as it is but knowing knowing how unbearable our our house was when our boiler broke down a couple of -10 midwinters ago there is zero chance of me willingly living like that all the time and nor would I expect anyone else to have to.

Normal houses are not designed to work without central heating now.

It's all very different if you can afford ground source heat pumps and photovoltaic panels on the roof. The majority of us don't live like that.

Central heating won't become a thing of the past, using it to heat a whole house at once will though. I know as a child my mum would stick the heating on and every radiator in the house would come on, I know she doesn't do that anymore and only turns on the one in the lounge and bedroom of her home now.

My house has three storage heaters, two in the lounger/diner and one in the hall, the bedrooms have pathetic warm air units that cost a bomb to run and are crap, so we don't use those at all and use oil filled radiators to warm up the bedrooms in winter for a while before we go to bed.

cantspel Mon 21-Oct-13 13:58:34

But not everyone can just stick another jumper on nor does it solve the problem of cold hands and faces.

cuteboots Mon 21-Oct-13 14:00:02

FreakinRexManningDay- really didnt mean it in an offensive way! Sorry if it upset you in anyway.

YABU

Central heating is not the issue, central heating is far more efficient for heating up a house than fires.

Fule prices are the issue, and I think what should happen in the future is houses being built to a much better insulation standard, with the ability to retain heat for longer and not loose it, and somehow even be able to generate heat or at least collect it when it is warm.

tiredoutgran Mon 21-Oct-13 14:09:31

We have recently moved into a house with the old fashioned storage heaters and economy 7, at the moment we have the lounge heater on low and the dining room which is a 4kw but is only on low for now. It is our intention to just have the big heater on full and all the doors open upstairs to allow the heat to travel up. I have worked out that it will prove much cheaper than complete central heating and after spending last winter in a very large and very badly converted barn with nothing but a woodburner figure it will be quite tropical in comparison.

Artandco Mon 21-Oct-13 14:13:58

We never had any central heating growing up ( in the 1990s!). Fire in lounge. Was so so horrid. I remember feeling so cold I couldn't breathe properly. The house was full of damp, baths miserable, used to visit my gran to do school work as was too cold to concentrate without shivering. There house is the same now and they wonder why we don't visit in winter.

I know people say just wrap up but that really doesn't work for me. Last night I had warm pjs, dressing gown, slippers, and socks on and was still cold under the sheepskin blanket on the sofa. And that was with heating on.

I don't think many people will give it up. Priority over bills may change though. For us it's accomadation, then heating then food then everything else

FreakinRexManningDay Mon 21-Oct-13 14:21:58

I gather you didn't mean it to be offensive cute boots but just to make you aware that it is racist. I'm not personally offended although racist remarks are not something I condone.

sebsmummy1 Mon 21-Oct-13 14:22:17

Thing is with storage heaters is they give you the heat at the wrong time if the day IME. They whack it out in the morn and have nothing left for the evening when you actually want to heat. I just used to end up going to bed early most nights as it was cheaper.

cjel Mon 21-Oct-13 14:23:28

shouldn't burn treated wood. It gives off toxic fumes.

Sebsmummy that is my exact issue with storage heaters, by the time evening rolls round and the temperature drops considerably, the heaters are lukewarm which is useless, but in the orning I am roasting hot as they are on full whack, they do not distribute heat as needed.

tiredoutgran Mon 21-Oct-13 14:28:29

sebsmummy1 - funnily enough they are still hot in the evening but I guess it isn't that cold at the moment, I must admit I haven't had much experience with them and was surprised at how well they seem to work. We do have the boost turned off though so maybe that makes it last better. If they don't work I can see us all cooped up in the dining room around the only (tiny) gas fire in the house sad

NotYoMomma Mon 21-Oct-13 14:30:27

I love that people are like 'this dorsnt really happen'

'life is too short to be wearing extra clothes' etc and laughing about Joey from friends

it IS a reality for a lot of people and getting worse and those who can afford to heat year round or whenever they feel the chill, good for you but don'tbe so flippant and dismissive of the issue

DukeSilver Mon 21-Oct-13 14:30:52

I thought this thread was going to be about a new kind of heating grin I was getting worried because I don't even have central heating yet!

addenuf Mon 21-Oct-13 14:39:37

Certainly not a thing of the near future in this home. Not that I can't afford it, just that I intend to pass as little of my wonga to the utility companies as I can wangle. That people actually cannot afford to keep warm in this country is shocking. In my view it is the product of past political blinkered zealotry and ever present political short-termism. None of the people involved in either ever had to resort to the measures mentioned in this thread, but they have produced enough hot air to put EDF out of business this winter.angry

FreakinRexManningDay Mon 21-Oct-13 14:40:42

Does it cjel? I never knew that. Kept us warm on many a cold day though.

TEErickOrTEEreat Mon 21-Oct-13 14:54:35

I'm sorry if I seemed flippant and/or dismissive. I'm actually just more bewildered that people can't arrange their budgets to afford to heat their homes.

I am broker than a broke thing most of the time but I will not sacrifice my comfort. So I sacrifice something else, such as holidays, a car etc.

TEErickOrTEEreat - I'm sure you really don't have much cash, but some people have so little they can't even afford food (have you seen in the news how busy the food banks are?), let alone heating as well, and cars and holidays are just a distant dream.

This fuel price hike at this time of year is absolutely immoral. People will die because of it.

Not in my home. I grew up in a house that didn't have heating upstairs, when my mum and dad got an electric oil heater for the upstairs room, you only got heat from it if you were sat practically on it. The flat I'm in now is also old and leaks heat, but we can't afford to run the heating. It's actually warmer for me to put DS in his coat and pram and go out for a walk than to sit in the flat when it's cold.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now