Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to sing "two little boys" to my DD

(53 Posts)

in the light of the revelations about Rolf Harris? After all no-one would sing Gary Glitters songs now, but I like the song (and she loves it)

BakeOLiteGirl Mon 21-Oct-13 19:42:21

I've been wondering this actually. I loved Rolf Harris songs when I was young. I saw him live in Bristol last year and he was amazing and entertaining. I'm personally a bit gutted. But then I would never play a Gary Glitter song.

Oldandcobwebby Mon 21-Oct-13 18:49:43

This thread surely must be a wind-up. Simply crazy.

This really annoys me, sing what you want, you are not going to give your child am intro to the history of the song before you sing it, its like saying should i read my child a fairy tale as the are really adult tales..

phantomnamechanger Mon 21-Oct-13 18:39:25

thegreylady - really? what's the link there then??

I love 2 little boys sad

mrsWast Mon 21-Oct-13 18:38:02

i don't think Rolf Harris is like Candyman. i'm fairly sure you can sing his songs without him appearing behind you and making inappropriate demands...

Mim78 Mon 21-Oct-13 18:37:14

I would sing it. Not for any logical reason but if something sets me off singing a song that is it!

Also the song itself is pretty innocent.

If was going to be put off it I would have been by fact Margaret thatcher sung it once!

HardFacedCareeristBitchNigel Mon 21-Oct-13 18:36:28

DH has been singing TLB to DD since she was tiny. We won't be stopping singing it just because of Rolf Harris.

BurlyShassey Mon 21-Oct-13 18:32:57

grin foureyesghoul exactly way I feel. And about Simply bigheadred!

For some reason I thought RH had written the song - ah well, I was singing it tonight anyway, still love it, and so does DD. Just wondered what mumsnet made of it, but totally irrelevant if he didn't write it after all grin

YoniTime Sun 20-Oct-13 21:48:52

Exactly Caitlin, child abuse was disturbingly common then. I thought you were arguing that art was like that during that time period so Carroll's photos just showed the taste of the time, not his own pedophilia. I think it does. And unlike the Guardian article writer, I don't think we can be sure of if he was an active child abuser or not.

I of course don't think we should ban Alice in Wonderland, I just don't think he can automatically be considered innocent just because there has been no reports of him actually abusing children.

NotYoMomma Sun 20-Oct-13 21:45:13

what about Jake the peg? confused

Beastofburden Sun 20-Oct-13 21:44:24

Is it fair to call them "revelations"? Don't you mean, the charges against him?

We have to have a fair legal system. Until RH has been through his trial nobody has the right to say he is guilty or innocent of this.

YABU to post this question at this stage.

CloverkissSparklecheeks Sun 20-Oct-13 21:31:56

I love that song, my mum always sang it to us and we both sing it to my boys.

What RH may or may not have done is nothing to do with singing that song to your DCs IMO.

thegreylady Sun 20-Oct-13 21:27:07

I can't listen to The Little Drummer Boy because of its association with the Moors Murders.

BrokenSunglasses Sun 20-Oct-13 21:25:38

If I liked the song, I'd sing it to my children.

Caitlin17 Sun 20-Oct-13 21:24:16

Yoni Time. I think it was a fairly well accepted fact Victorian brothels had children in them.

I'm not going to post a link as it's a horrible photograph but there is a photograph of a Victorian child prostitute of about 11 years old and 4 months pregnant.

The link below is to a BBC article on the subject.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/0/20097046

FourEyesGhoul Sun 20-Oct-13 21:08:30

I love 'Two Little Boys'. I also love 'Another Rock 'n' Roll Christmas' by Gary Glitter, and pretty much everything that Phil Spector produced. I am able to disassociate the people from the music.

Can't do that with Simply Red, though, for some reason. If I hear that prick's voice on the radio, I see his horrendous, smug face and I feel a bit sick. Shame, because he's had one or two decent songs.

N.B. Legal eagles: I am not suggesting that Mick Hucknall is guilty of anything other than being a self-satisfied, odious tosser.

YoniTime Sun 20-Oct-13 20:58:53

^The female models in those paintings were young but not prepubescent.
Portraying girls the way Carroll did in his photos wasn't really common was it. There sure was a lot of hidden child abuse during this period though sad

Caitlin17 Sun 20-Oct-13 20:31:00

Metella, in the context of Victorian art not that unusual. Check Hylas and the Nymphs by William Waterhouse and In the cave of the Storm Nymphs by Poynter(?)

And loads of others.

Branleuse Sun 20-Oct-13 20:16:01

most artists and musicians are/were complete nutcases. Peoples personal lives are just that. If you like the song, it doesnt mean youre condoning anything the artist may or may not have done

notanyanymore Sun 20-Oct-13 20:07:44

really...? i think that's a bit odd isn't it? if the song had a dodgy meaning then fair enough but just because someone that once sang it has been accused of something? i think that's really over thinking it to be honest.

MetellaEstMater Sun 20-Oct-13 20:05:59

The but in that sentence does not imply I think that's okay. It isn't in my book.

MetellaEstMater Sun 20-Oct-13 20:05:11

It's a portrait of Beatrice Hatch. She is sitting on a rock looking thoughtfully out to sea. She is nude but posed as to cover her genitalia and chest.

HopeS01 Sun 20-Oct-13 20:04:47

Caitlin, worse! It's a young girl he's painted in the nude blush

YoniTime Sun 20-Oct-13 19:59:23

It's impossible to know if Carroll ever did or didn't do anything inappropriate isn't it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now