to think Elf on the Shelf is an awful concept!

(76 Posts)
5Foot5 Sun 20-Oct-13 18:40:25

I had never heard of such a thing until I saw the phrase bandied about on Mumsnet. I didn't really know what it was all about but thought the name sounded quite sweet, if a little twee so, as a dyed-in-the-wool Christmas-aholic I decided to look it up. I was appalled at the idea shock

Basically he is some sneaky Big Brother who is going to spy on your kids and then grass them up to Father Christmas if they don't behave! I think that is sinister and horrible. And the way he is meant to keep moving around the house under the cover of darkness is just a bit sinister.

Hmm! Even if the idea had been mooted to me when DD was small I would not have wanted anything to do with it thank you very much.

Lagoonablue Sun 20-Oct-13 19:35:11

Yes the burglar alarm sensors are santa's way to spy in this house. Red light means he is there. WAtching.

MadeOfStarDust Sun 20-Oct-13 19:35:51

So people do elf on the shelf - but don't actually DO elf on the shelf... how peculiar....

he gets up to mischief, but doesn't tell.. what if the kids touch him.. is the magic lost like in the ACTUAL elf on the shelf... no shouldn't think so...

it is a modern day "tradition" from the noughties designed to get folks to spend yet more money buying yet more crap and diluting the message of Christmas even more and more by spreading things out for a month....

but haven't met anyone in RL who does it.... or would admit to it anyhow...

englishmumcominghome Sun 20-Oct-13 19:39:30

Yep - can't stand EOTS but the burglar alarm motion sensors are SantaCams.

Currently renting a place without any, so the smoke alarms are having to do.

That said, DS1 is 7 and DS2 is 5 so still believe massively.

Feelingannoyed Sun 20-Oct-13 19:49:46

Ds is allowed to touch our elf, we got him before the elf on the shelf came out. He takes him everywhere with him and the elf leaves his bed at night when he's asleep to do some mischief.

It's not a tool to create good behaviour it's just a bit of fun and Christmas magic. I did have to reign it in a bit last year because Ds was concerned the elf would be in trouble with Santa.

DuchessofKirkcaldy Sun 20-Oct-13 19:59:45

As a child, I was always told that the birdies in the garden looked through the window to see if I was being good,then flew back to tell santa.
Never scared me though. I made a career working with birds smile

5Foot5 Sun 20-Oct-13 20:00:18

And I am always bemused at how Elf on the Shelf gets some MNetters frothing at the mouth. If you don't like it then don't do it <shrugs>.

Do they? I had never even heard of it until today. And given my DD will be 18 before Christmas I would be unlikely to do it anyway!

I don't do it, but it bothers me not a jot if others do, so on that basis YABU. Live and let live.

Doesn't bother me a jot that other people do it either but I was surprised that something that sounds cute and playful actually turns out to be a bit creepy.

Actually I love that some Mnetters have told their children that the burglar alarms and smoke detectors are santa-cams. I think that is hysterical. You might say that is no different to the EOTS idea but I think at least it shows imagination and at least they are not being suckered in to paying, what was it, £30 for a doll and a book.

5Foot5 Sun 20-Oct-13 20:01:40

DuchessofKirkcaldy I am a bit bird-phobic so that would have scared the hell out of me.

pootlebug Sun 20-Oct-13 20:03:47

Agree it's a vile concept. Also hate the idea of telling kids if they're not 'good' they won't get presents

SugarHut Sun 20-Oct-13 20:07:13

YANBU. It's creepy and weird. And just another unimaginative overkill idea. Smacks of Easter crackers. Soon just to keep up with all the traditions and to outdo year on year there will be some kind of "Reindeer on the roof" and "Penguin in the port" hmm

MadeOfStarDust Sun 20-Oct-13 20:10:03

ooooooo - reindeer on the roof - £30 quid for a book and a stuffed toy!

have you copyrighted that one!!? hmm

dementedma Sun 20-Oct-13 20:13:22

Creepy, tacky and exists for those with more money than sense.

Guitargirl Sun 20-Oct-13 20:19:49

This is another thread on it from today but there have been quite a few already this year and probably lots more before Christmas. This is what I mean about the frothing. And the price argument - it doesn't have to cost anything at all. Anyway, am not going to get all Elf-evangelistic...just saying that I can't understand what provokes such ire about a Christmas Elf. Am starting to feel a bit sorry for the poor bugger to be honest.

edam Sun 20-Oct-13 20:41:02

I certainly wouldn't have paid £30 for the creepy little fucker! Quisling, that's what he is. You'd think they'd have made him look cute, or jolly, not like a dodgy toy from a horror movie that is going to help the real serious baddies.

As he's a freebie, and ds knows about how FC works, I thought I'd ask ds if he wanted to do it. Otherwise, no way!

OldRoan Sun 20-Oct-13 20:47:28

What I don't understand is that the elf is naughty and plays tricks, but reports to FC about the children being naughty.

How is that fair?! I wouldn't trust a naughty person to report on someone else's behaviour, why should a child trust a naughty elf?

OldRoan Sun 20-Oct-13 20:49:31

I'm sure there's a MNer who has a burglar alarm sensor that happens to be aligned with her naughty step, and she told her DC that FC counted how many times they sit on it... I think that is genius.

ChoudeBruxelles Sun 20-Oct-13 20:50:35

We just have Father Christmas's phone number. Don't need an elf. I can call him myself if ds is really very naughty. Which he generally isn't

Pagwatch Sun 20-Oct-13 20:50:53

YANBU
It's creepy as fuck.

PervCat Sun 20-Oct-13 20:51:12

we just dont mention christmas all the bloody time

hence we dont have hysterical kids.

greenfolder Sun 20-Oct-13 20:52:09

i really really wanted dc to believe in FC, so kept it really simple. FC comes on christmas eve and leaves a few gifts in the stocking you put out. a few mince pies and carrots for reindeers. never threatened them with FC not coming. elf on a shelf? really ?

Altinkum Sun 20-Oct-13 20:54:56

yabu, each to their own, my DC LOVE HIM.

but then my dc believe in the tooth fairy, the Easter bunny, jack frost etc... its all magical and non scary!!!

landofmakebelieve Sun 20-Oct-13 21:02:44

YADNBU, I feel the exact same! I'm a lover of all things Christmassy, and it's my favourite time of year BUT that Elf concept is just freaky deeky! grin
I wrote exactly what I thought of it here last year... castawaywithdreams.wordpress.com/2012/11/16/a-christmas-elf-coming-to-stay-er-no/

(I'm an extremely regular poster, been on here all day today, oops!) I just name change for blog posts as they potentially out me... smile )

Guitargirl Sun 20-Oct-13 21:06:03

<glances protectively at Elf hidden away in Christmas cupboard>

<shuffles off thread back to Christmas bargain one>

2tiredtocare Sun 20-Oct-13 21:16:56

My Dd used to be terrified of FC

I just can't imagine ds believing for a single second that a toy elf comes to life at night, he just wouldn't even though he's only 4 and has an active imagination and has seen toy story a million times.

tabulahrasa Sun 20-Oct-13 21:34:15

"And given my DD will be 18 before Christmas I would be unlikely to do it anyway!"

That made me think, actually it might be quite fun thinking of slightly sinister things to do with it with a teenager...grin

<wonders if she should get one and start hiding it above doors ready to fall on them and in the shower and other weird places>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now