4 week history project, on Industrial revolution

(18 Posts)
dingit Sun 20-Oct-13 14:17:19

Due in on 23rd. Ds12 as done title page and pictures. He says he can't find anything to write. He is sitting in front of the computer. Aibu not to help him,( I think he wants me to do it.) His latest excuse is he cat is sitting on the keyboard.

Their homework is a piece of cake compared to ours, all the info is at their fingertips. Grrrr.

MrsDavidBowie Sun 20-Oct-13 14:19:53

Ignore him.
It's his responsibility to do it and he will take the consequences.

Go and have a nice cup of tea and read the papers

BrokenSunglasses Sun 20-Oct-13 14:22:09

My ds of the same age can sometimes get a mental block on where to begin writing. The only help I give is by helping him to identify the information he needs to include. Does he have anything that tells him what he will be marked on?

You could start with what does he think he should include in his introduction? What was the industrial revolution, and why did it happen? I usually find that once I've given a kick up the arse to get the first paragraph done, I can let him get on with it and he flows much better.

ilovesooty Sun 20-Oct-13 14:49:22

Surely he's been given a brief for this? If he's left it so late he needs to take responsibility.

Vivacia Sun 20-Oct-13 14:52:50

In situations like this I think, what kind of 30 year old adult do I want to have raised? I guess you've got to ask yourself whether he needs to learn some consequences or whether it's appropriate to give him some support. Why has he got to the point of being three days away from the deadline and not done anything?

DS1 has always been self-motivated and conscientious about completing homework on time, but he really struggled with these bigger pieces of work, especially in Y7. He had no idea where to start and the whole task seemed overwhelming. I had to teach him how to break it down into manageable chunks by making a plan with an introduction, a paragraph for each point and then a conclusion. Now Y9 and he has just done an essay on the British Empire (complete with bibliography! smile with no input from me.

I have found that with some tasks (internet research in primary, essays in Y7, revision for end of year exams) DS1 did need some guidance in how to go about it.

DS2, on the other hand, thinks his way is best and refuses to accept any academic advice from me at all.

) <- that bracket was supposed to go after the smiley face. It's a good thing I'm not proof-reading their homework!

dingit Sun 20-Oct-13 15:05:51

Thanks for your replies. He doesn't seem to have a brief, but that's not to say there wasn't one. He was also supposed to have had a partner doing it with him, but doesn't know who it is. He's done a page on slavery which I'm not sure is right. I've given him an hour break, then he has to finish it. Thankfully dh is away, otherwise sparks would be flying!

Preciousbane Sun 20-Oct-13 15:11:33

Wave tuna in front of the cats nose, she will move. Give him a decent snack and some drink and then let him get on with it.

We focussed on Merthyr Tydfil for the industrial revolution way back in 1981.

uselessinformation Sun 20-Oct-13 16:13:29

You can help by giving him some headings to research. It can be hard when you don't know where to start.

If the subject matter is completely up to him, then I would divide the topic up into headings:

Changes in agriculture.
Scientific discoveries & inventions.
Changes in industry.
Progress in transport & communications (e.g. canals, roads, railways).

There are also other aspects:
Educational reform.
Political reform.
Urbanisation.

He could do an overview of these, or focus more on one or two. The BBC bitesize website for KS3 History covers all of the above.

Disclaimer: I am not a historian!

Wellwobbly Sun 20-Oct-13 17:07:20

Also:

the introduction of the concept of time (the capitalist 24 hr clock, yes, folks it started around now)

the development of the protestant work ethic.

Why did the industrial revolution happen in Britain, and not Germany or France who had pretty much the same resources of people, coal and transport? Answer: our bourgeois upper class who were so because of primogeniture. So, in every European noble family, all the kids got titles which was a drain on the country. The British were more ruthless and only the eldest son got the lot. This mean the other sons were driven to make their own fortunes, and this was a powerful engine in England. They were much more willing to get their hands dirty in trade unlike the fops across the channel.

LateForMyOwnLife Sun 20-Oct-13 17:18:20

The Luddites
The Spinning Jenny
Watt and Boulton steam engine
Abraham Darby and coal smelting - and Ironbridge, birthplace of the Idustrial revolutrion (apparently)
Building of the canals

That just about sums up my memories of the industrial revolution from my history lessons

Strumpetron Sun 20-Oct-13 17:36:45

There is so so much to write - I had to do an essay for Sociology

I've nicked this, some things he can think about to start him off:

1. The Industrial Revolution occurred in the last part of the 18th century.
It began in Great Britain.

2. This revolution was an economic one, and it changed the way the world
produced goods.

3. The population went from being agricultural to industrial. This meant
people moved off of the farms and out of the country. There were huge
numbers of people that moved into cities. Many people were forced to move
to the cities to look for work. They ended up living in cities that could
not support them.

4. During this time, there were also many new advancements in technology.
The assembly line was one of the biggest inventions. Henry Ford is credited
with this invention.

5. Some of the biggest advancements were in steam power. New fuels such as
coal and petroleum, were used in these new steam engines. This revolutionized
many industries including textiles and manufacturing.

6. Another invention was called the telegraph. This made communicating across the
ocean easier and much faster. Messages could be sent and received in minutes
and delivered the same day. Writing a letter and sending it overseas could take weeks.

7. The Industrial Revolution was not a good revolution for the earth. Industry was
releasing huge amounts of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere and waste into the
waterways and soil. Pollution by nuclear waste, pesticides and other chemicals are
also the result of the Industrial Revolution.

8. Many natural resources were being used up at an alarming rate.

9. Advances in farming resulted in an increased supply of food and raw materials.
The changes in industry and new technology resulted in increased production of
thousands of goods. Companies were more efficienct and earned bigger profits.

10. The year 1760, is generally accepted as the beginning of the Industrial Revolution.
In reality, the revolution began more than two centuries before this date. The late 18th century
and the early l9th century brought out the ideas and discoveries of those who had lived a long
time before like Galileo, Bacon, Descartes and others.

BikeRunSki Sun 20-Oct-13 17:41:23

Luddites! Come to Huddersfield for the day ! We invented the industrial revolution.

curlew Sun 20-Oct-13 17:43:44

My 12 year old has a similar task but about the Civil War- due on Friday. Apparently he has is loads of time......

beanandspud Sun 20-Oct-13 17:46:33

BikeRunSki Sadly that is my only bit of knowledge around the Industrial Revolution. "Enoch makes frames, Enoch breaks frames" sticks in my memory but I'm a bit vague around the details blush.

Wellwobbly Mon 21-Oct-13 07:15:24

When did enclosure happen? That was also a contributing factor, wasn't it? When the peasants were driven off the land and increasing urbanisation.

The economy went from cottage industry to factories which meant shifts and keeping time etc.

Another useless piece of information: when tea, coffee and sugar was introduced into the diet, production went up hugely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now