To be offended by this birthday card?

(34 Posts)
Doubtfuldaphne Sun 20-Oct-13 11:04:21

I've always been a bit overweight, size 14. Always get weight comments from IL's usually 'ooh you're looking slimmer' or after ds was born 'how's it going with your weight' and also 'I've HEARD you're losing a lot of weight! (Standing in right in front of me)
Maybe I'm being a bit over sensitive as I've been bullied all my childhood for being a chubster
But today I get a card with a picture of women eating cake and a caption ' we'll diet tomorrow'
Is this another dig or is it funny?

BrokenSunglasses Sun 20-Oct-13 13:24:13

It wouldn't occur to me to be offended about that card. I think the fact that you are offended is partly about the card, but more about your own sensitivities.

I agree that's its a 'treat yourself - its your Birthday' type message that is quite common and is not intended to be mean.

Scholes34 Sun 20-Oct-13 13:54:12

Certainly being oversensitive there. I'd be less likely to take offence at something printed. Now had the statement been handwritten in the card, that might be justification for taking offence.

CoffeeTea103 Sun 20-Oct-13 13:57:34

Overreacting here. Cake and birthdays go together, so do indulging or making exceptions on your birthday. It was probably meant as that. As you are sensitive about your weight you are looking at it from this way.

JamieandtheMagicTorch Sun 20-Oct-13 14:00:55

I think it is a poor choice of card for many woman, unless you know them very well. It's especially poor if you've already been rude or intrusive about their weight.

I think the ILs are insensitive or obsessed about weight. Don't let their issue become your issue OP

JamieandtheMagicTorch Sun 20-Oct-13 14:02:24

And I agree with you OP - there's a vast range of cards out there. I'd steer clear of a card like that.

Mia4 Sun 20-Oct-13 15:38:38

Unless they often makes digs at you OP, I'd try to stop getting annoyed over it- it's not personal. That card is pretty routine and people will just grab one and write in it most of the time. My nan once sent DP one which said funny on the front (can't remember the words) but inside it basically said 'and look what you have to wake up next to'. She was so embarrassed when my dad saw it and teased her about it.

It would depend on who it was from. If it was someone who knows that you are sensitive about your weight then I would be upset, if it was from someone who doesn't know you that well/ you've never spoken about your weight to I wouldn't take offence. Tbh I don't think that anyone who is a size 14 should be sensitive about their weight (I'd love to be that size) there's no need, and it sounds more as if you are over sensitive partly down to ILs attitudes. Being overweight myself, I would NEVER send anyone a card relating to weight, but DH wouldn't think twice, he's just grab the first card he saw.

AngiBolen Sun 20-Oct-13 15:51:42

InMySpareTime -that's so inappropriate it's hillarious! grin I hope you kept it to show DS on his 18th birthday.

Your in laws need to learn some manners, OP.

BloodiedGhouloshes Sun 20-Oct-13 15:57:45

I'd be offended.

The weird card sent to a 4 year old by non-English-speaking people thought I would just adore

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now