Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

by not tipping my hairdresser

(64 Posts)
BooCanary Sat 19-Oct-13 13:10:18

I've been going to the same hairdressers for years.
She is lovely - she is not only a great hairdresser but we get on really well and I really look forward to seeing her.

She's not cheap (£60 - 80 for colour, cut and dry/straighten) but worth it IMO.

BUT I have never tipped her. I think she gets paid enough. If she was getting paid £30 - fair enough, but it seems daft (and a bit patronising) to tip her a few quid on top of the £80 I've just paid. My DM tips her hairdresser but she only pays about £15 for a quick cut.

AIBU?

WMittens Sun 20-Oct-13 10:31:28

pigsDOfly

Not sure why the tip should be shared WMittens. If the person receiving the all the tips is getting them because he or she has gone out of their way to give good service then the tips belong to them.

Why should someone who potentially doesn't give a damn about the customer end up receiving the same tip.

You missed the point that a discretionary tip is not always given as recognition of good service; some customers tip generously, some customers tip less so, some don't tip at all. Some posters have already said they don't tip (although that may be in context of hairdressers).

What if the person goes out of their way to provide an excellent service, but their covers are people who never tip whatever the level of service they receive? And the person who doesn't give a shit about giving a good service gets customers who automatically tip 20%? Is either situation fair?

I agree with Yetanotherrandomman that prices should be charged that allow decent wages to be paid to service staff.

Twooter Sun 20-Oct-13 10:49:31

My hairdresser is one of my close friends. I know they are reasonably well off, so feel awkward tipping as it seems a bit patronising, but on the other hand it feels tight not to. Not sure what the right thing to do in this situation is.

samu2 Sun 20-Oct-13 11:37:11

I always tip mine. She is great with my hair, she is worth her weight in gold.

I also tip taxi drivers, bar staff, restaurants and delivery drivers at Xmas.

x2boys Sun 20-Oct-13 11:41:46

IM a nurse too la guardia we get lots of chocolates not all that keen on chocolates but its the thought that counts would prefer to be tipped with crisps am a big crisp fan!

MalcolmTuckersMistress Sun 20-Oct-13 11:46:19

Never tip hairdressers. In fact I didn't realise until a few years ago people did!

x2boys Sun 20-Oct-13 11:47:41

I don't think its being tight not to tip you are already paying for a service I went to America many years ago and thought there tipping system was ridiculous for example you had to tip a doller everytime you bought a drink otherwise the barman would nt serve you again!

HappyMummyOfOne Sun 20-Oct-13 11:49:07

Products are very cheap wholesale and hairdressers make a nice amount per customer so at a salon I dont tip, just pay the price they charge like in a shop. I tend to prefer a mobile hairdresser as more convenient and do tip my current one as she charges so little and its a huge saving compared to going to the local hairdressers.

I dont think its mean not to tip, you are already paying the price of the service.

I tend to show appreciation in gifts so do buy school staff as they have a huge influenence in DS's daily life and hospital staff when my sister needed care etc.

unlucky83 Sun 20-Oct-13 12:48:39

I don't tip my hairdresser. I don't tip anyone who has trained to do their job.

I do tip taxis and waiting staff. shock
Taxi drivers (in London) have to do the Knowledge and some waiters are trained (you could get a C&G in Food and beverage service -probably a NVQ now ) ...not all are student plate carriers...

In big chains tips (especially ones on cards) are often used to top salaries up to minimum wage...and if you pay by card the business pays a charge for the use of the service (so (depending on the contract) a debit card costs 20-30p per transaction and a credit card a % of the total -usually 2-3%...)
I never leave tips on a card - hopefully cash will go straight to the staff...but not necessarily.
The rules on tax etc are complicated -if they get cash in their hand the waiter is responsible for declaring it and paying tax on it.
If is pooled and distributed the business is responsible for the tax (and maybe NI!)
When my DP had a restaurant we took the card tips out of the cash and shared it out at the end of the night - making sure the wash ups and junior chefs got a share too...(the business were subsidising the card payments) I got conflicting advice from HMRC how to deal with them ...whether we were liable for paying tax/NI on them or not...
On big parties we added 12% optional service - and that did go straight to the staff...
Years ago I was Head Chef of a posh, expensive restaurant - (foolishly) had a bit of a thing with one of the waiters - was gutted to find out that when it was busy he was earning more than I did! -they did declare it/pay tax - but not NI - he was clearing £300+ per week in tips on top of his wages ...
(Before anyone thinks - so what he was earning more? - he worked less hours, had more or less zero responsibility -whereas I was responsible for a brigade of 10, menu planning, ordering, budgets and eg when we gave two people food poisoning I could have been personally liable for a £20K + fine (we were found not to be at fault - caused by a contaminated duck liver - in fact we came out of it fantastically well - if we had not done everything more than absolutely right we could have easily poisoned 30+ with just the livers - any cross contamination it could have been 100s)

BTW I never tipped hairdressers -didn't know you did until I worked in a posh hairdressers (cafe) - but I cut my own hair - I do tip the hairdresser who does my DDs hair - not only for putting up with DD1s wriggling when younger - but they both (esp DD1) have really thick curly hair -I think they more than earn the £7-10 for a dry cut ...

Nanny0gg England Sun 20-Oct-13 13:41:37

Products are very cheap wholesale and hairdressers make a nice amount per customer

Cheap products are very cheap wholesale. And bear in mind, that they have to cater for every possible hair colour, so they carry stock that they may rarely or never use.
And it depends on your definition of 'nice amount'.
I will concur that if they're standing cutting all day, they can get through lots of people and they're not using much in the way of product, so it can be relatively lucrative. If they're colouring it's an entirely different matter.

Wealthy hairdressers tend to be salon owners, not stylists.

KCumberSandwich Sun 20-Oct-13 13:49:23

i very rarely tip anyone. i go out of my way in my shop job to help many people and am satisfied with a thankyou- i've never had a tip. if a hairdresser does a good job of my hair i will tell her gow grateful i am and that she's done a lovely job, i am polite and thankful to waiting staff and taxi drivers and if i feel they have gone above and beyond i will make sure their employer knows how good they have been etc but i don't tip.

Crowler Sun 20-Oct-13 17:05:55

I tip most any service, but I'm American so perhaps it's in my blood. I always tip for hair. Definitely. Unless it's the owner, in which case it's considered rude.

I tip the Ocado man, cab drivers, babysitters (I round up), etc.

WMittens Sun 20-Oct-13 18:39:00

I tip most any service, but I'm American

As evidenced by missing the 'al' off 'almost'.

Lillielangtry Sun 20-Oct-13 22:24:22

I think it's possible they we're influenced by US culture - with regard to tipping and so many other things!

However, it's useful to remember that tipping in America is completely accepted and part of the culture - diners factor in 20%+ of the bill before they even leave their apartment.

In the UK, all employees are subject to a national minimum wage. Employers are not allowed to factor in projected tips to make up that wage.

It's quite different in the US. Some states enforce a minimum wage but others don't. In those that don't, some wait staff earn just $1/ hour and rely on tips to boost their income to a decent level. Even in those states that have a minimum wage, it's often far lower than ours.

unlucky83 Mon 21-Oct-13 13:34:31

I stand corrected - tips are now not used to make up minimum wage - was banned in Oct 2009 - up to then it was common practice (my partner sold his restaurant in 2008 - so not up on the rules anymore...)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now