by not tipping my hairdresser

(64 Posts)
BooCanary Sat 19-Oct-13 13:10:18

I've been going to the same hairdressers for years.
She is lovely - she is not only a great hairdresser but we get on really well and I really look forward to seeing her.

She's not cheap (£60 - 80 for colour, cut and dry/straighten) but worth it IMO.

BUT I have never tipped her. I think she gets paid enough. If she was getting paid £30 - fair enough, but it seems daft (and a bit patronising) to tip her a few quid on top of the £80 I've just paid. My DM tips her hairdresser but she only pays about £15 for a quick cut.

AIBU?

marriedinwhiteisback Sat 19-Oct-13 23:19:54

You tip when you pay the bill. I always pay the bill with my bank card and give her an extra £5 or £10 in her hand saying thank you and see you soon . If I'm there after 6pm - she pours me wine too.

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 19-Oct-13 23:21:46

Amazing how many people are cool with being tight.

Waiters/waitresses and hairdressers get a tip as long as the service was good. That applied when I was still at school never mind now I have a full time job.

Ghostlygirl Sat 19-Oct-13 23:40:52

I was in a branch of a well-known pizza restaurant chain a couple of months ago. I'm not sure if I am allowed to name it, but it wasn't Pizza Hut. If you wished to leave a tip, you could either give cash or add it to your bill if you were paying by card. I asked the waiter if he received all of the tip if it were given to him via debit card. He said that first of all, the head office took a cut of the tip, then the amount left would be divided so that the kitchen staff of that branch also had some, as they never receive tips, even though they are on a higher hourly rate than the waiting staff. Then the amount that was finally still his, would be taxed. He said that if a £5 tip were given to him via debit card, he probably saw about 50p of it. Needless to say, I tipped him with cash.

WMittens Sun 20-Oct-13 00:03:17

Amazing how many people are cool with being tight.

I don't think it's a case of being tight, more that, apart from a couple of areas, tipping has never really been part of British culture. As is well known, the USA has a very different tipping culture.

WMittens Sun 20-Oct-13 00:07:08

Then the amount that was finally still his, would be taxed.

I feel it's wrong that tips are taxed, they are a discretionary gift, not wages. However, I do sort of understand the need to evenly share the tips (to some extent, maybe among waiting staff) - it's a bit harsh if one waiter or waitress gets large tippers, and another gets who don't tip anything; it could be £50 or more difference just because of who was seated where.

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 20-Oct-13 00:11:27

Tipping has been quite a part of British culture - otherwise posters wouldn't be commenting on how it must be an older generation thing.

I don't go around tipping people willy nilly don't get me wrong. We're meant to tip taxi drivers but I think I've only ever tipped two. I've been in a fair few taxis. Just virtually none of them have warranted it in my opinion. Far too many mediocre or down right unpleasant experiences.

geminigirl Sun 20-Oct-13 00:18:02

I was in a Frankie and Bennys recently, never had been in before and was horrified and a little bit put out to be asked if I wanted to add a gratuity when I went to pay the bill. I declined but felt guilty, then I was annoyed that I felt guilty....I really didn't like the approach, I will leave something on the table as I leave if I want to leave a tip.

pigsDOfly Sun 20-Oct-13 00:24:59

Not sure why the tip should be shared WMittens. If the person receiving the all the tips is getting them because he or she has gone out of their way to give good service then the tips belong to them.

Why should someone who potentially doesn't give a damn about the customer end up receiving the same tip.

If I tip someone it's because I want to let them know I appreciate the service they've given me.

I also understood that it's considered bad form to tip the owner of the business.

Ifancyashandy Sun 20-Oct-13 00:28:10

I always tip. In cabs, I'll round it up ( today, my cab back from the supermarket was £8.80. I handed over a tender and told him to keep the change) as they'll help me carry my bags to the front door. In the hairdressers, I give my stylist (who is freelance in the salon) a £10 after a cut and colour (no junior, he washes my hair himself) & I gave the woman who did my nails today a £5 tip on a £35 bill. She did a great job and I want her to remember me when I next go in (new salon) so I get seen promptly on the day I want.

And always add 20% to restaurant bills. Ditto leaving the smallish change in bars.

Once a barmaid/waitress.....

Lillielangtry Sun 20-Oct-13 00:34:53

I never tip my hairdresser though I must admit I feel a bit guilty not doing so. But I know she's paid well (close to £30k as she's very senior) so I think it's OK not to. I do give the young girl who washes my hair a couple of pounds or so as I'm sure she earns peanuts as an apprentice.

Yetanotherrandomman Sun 20-Oct-13 06:43:34

Tipping is a vile custom. It enables employers to evade tax and hold down wages.

sweetsoulsister Sun 20-Oct-13 07:44:24

FYI - most restaurants that automatically charge a 12.5% gratuity on your bill use that money to pay the staff their wages, it is NOT a tip that goes directly to your server. I learnt this from personal experience as a waitress. Deceitful practice in my opinion.

SPBisResisting Sun 20-Oct-13 08:01:23

shandy, when you say "Leaving the smallish change in bars"
if your drinks are £4.86 would you hand over a fiver and tell them to keep the change? I'd be too embarrassed. Just wondering if that is the sort of thing...I'm another who finds the whole tipping thing very confusing!

sleepywombat Sun 20-Oct-13 08:11:24

I would definitely do that SPB (keep the change) & often do.

I wouldn't tip my hairdresser though, I can barely afford the price she charges!

Re nurses - I bought a box of chocolates for the midwives after having dc1 (was in hospital 3 nights), I didn't for dc2 because was only in 1 night & the midwife who dealt with me was not particularly warm. Likewise, I am a teacher, and sometimes get presents at the end of the year, which is lovely.

I would always tip service that I thought was extra good. It annoys me when they put a service charge onto the bill at restaurants & the service has been terrible. I once refused to pay it.

SPBisResisting Sun 20-Oct-13 08:12:50

but then do they not say "thank you" and you cringe because it's 16p (or whatever)

SPBisResisting Sun 20-Oct-13 08:13:17

14p grin
I can add up, just couldn't remember what I'd put

sleepywombat Sun 20-Oct-13 08:18:00

No they don't usually cringe (unless behind my back!), its just easier than making them count out the pennies/change. I guess its not phrased as a tip as such.

When I worked in a bar (in my younger, attractive days), I was often given extra money by customers to buy myself a drink. Our boss said that in that case, we could take a pound out of their change (because we weren't allowed to drink on the job), but it, along with all other tips, were pooled & shared out between staff at end of night. Good for me, because there was one girl who was a lot prettier & got a lot more tips!

kali110 Sun 20-Oct-13 08:24:58

Allways tip my hairdresser.thats how they make a lot of their money. Not sure what i would do if it was the salon owner.
Some people hire chairs in salons too so dont make much without tips.

SPBisResisting Sun 20-Oct-13 08:39:43

But they presumably do have to count it out in exactly the same way else their till won't balance

marriedinwhiteisback Sun 20-Oct-13 09:00:11

I tip because my parents and grandparents tipped and it was what I was taught to do because it was right and proper to do it. I don't think it's a new thing at all. The only areas from which I persistently receive poor service are hospitals/nursing staff. That is from where I have witnessed more rudeness, curtness, basic discourtesy and lack of respect than from anywhere else at all. I am convinced it is because it is free at the point of delivery and there is no vested interest in providing a good service because because one's pay is dependent upon it.

Dancergirl Sun 20-Oct-13 09:07:42

Sorry if this sounds mean but I never tip my hairdresser or the shampoo girl. I know they don't get paid much but I like the price to be the price. I would prefer them to put up the price for everything by a pound or two to include the tip.

I also hate faffing around looking for the right coins and if you don't have change then what? So I just don't bother.

If nobody tipped there would be pressure to increase their wages.

FamiliesShareGerms Sun 20-Oct-13 09:22:51

I agree, Dancergirl.

I tip taxi drivers as in "keep the change", and do similar in bars where there are waiting staff who bring you the bill on a little saucer (IYKWIM). I leave a cash tip for waiters, unless the bill has already had a gratuity added. Twice I have removed the gratuity from the bill and left cash instead because of how awful the meal was despite our lovely waitress.

The only time I have tipped at a salon is the person who did my hair, nails and makeup on my wedding day, because it really was over and above the normal service.

I never see our bin men or postmen, so why would I tip them at Xmas? (Especially as they are both pretty poor)

But generally I hate tipping - I don't know how much to tip, when to tip, whether to be discreet or open about handing over the cash... And I prefer to know up front how much a service is going to cost me, without additional costs on top.

BooCanary Sun 20-Oct-13 09:32:47

Well I had my hair cut yesterday, and didn't tip!
I kept an eye out for what others were doing and did notice a few people tipping both hairdresser and 'hair washer'. I think maybe I should tip the hairwashing girl next time, if I can get over my tip etiquette worry, as she is only about 18 and probably gets paid peanuts. That being said, she did accidentally pull my hair as few times and almost scalded me!!!!

mummydarkling Sun 20-Oct-13 10:01:35

I tip the postie, bin men, taxi driver, waiters, manicurist, and hairdresser. Some just at Christmas with chocolates and a note of appreciation and some on an as you go basis with a cheery thank-you. I used to send gifts to teachers but my teenagers tell me it is too embarrassing now.

WMittens Sun 20-Oct-13 10:24:21

Alisvolatpropiis

Tipping has been quite a part of British culture - otherwise posters wouldn't be commenting on how it must be an older generation thing.

Erm, my comparison was with the USA - you really think we're on a par? Egypt is another example, where you even have to tip a toilet attendant to be handed a roll of toilet paper; I've never seen that in the UK.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now