to think this analogy Gove makes is a bit hypocritical?

(109 Posts)
kim147 Sat 19-Oct-13 11:59:18

www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/oct/18/michael-gove-exam-grade-inflation

In the week we have seen 2 free schools fail (with unqualified teachers / heads in charge) and a young unqualified head of an academy quit, he comes out with this:

"Gove defended his decision to introduce more testing for pupils by drawing an analogy between two airlines. "Imagine that you had a choice not of schools, but of airlines. There is Test Airlines, very rigorous, and there is Warm and Fuzzy Airlines. What's the difference between the two? In Test Airlines they actually insist that the pilots have passed a test so that they can fly a plane. How old-fashioned can you get?

"At Warm and Fuzzy Airlines, they don't bother with these tests to see if pilots can fly. They just concentrate on all of the pilots giving the customers a warm and fuzzy feeling as soon as they get on board. Which would you fly with?"

I'd fly with an airline where they had people who knew about flying, had experience in it and were trained and observed in it - rather than an airline where some people had been in a plane, had read a few books on the theory and thought that they knew everything about being a pilot.

soul2000 Sun 20-Oct-13 17:16:59

HERE ARE SOME OF MICHEAL GOVE'S IDEAS

1. NEWGATE FREE PRISON.

2. THE DEBTORS PRISON BROUGHT TO YOU BY CENTRICA.

3. FLOGGING WITH DISTINCTION (MONITORED BY OFF FLOG)

4. ALL CONVICTS SENTENCED TO DEATH MUST COMPLETE 2000 HOURS
WORKING IN A CENTRICA CALL CENTER BEFORE HANGING.

ALL OF THIS TO BE MONITORED BY TEACHERS BECAUSE IT IS THE FAULT
OF TEACHERS THAT PEOPLE LEFT EDUCATION AND COMMITTED CRIME.

Talkinpeace Sun 20-Oct-13 16:44:51

Boney No, the badgers are still carrying the goalposts around with them

Morgause Sun 20-Oct-13 16:42:50

He always remind me of the unpopular creepy kid who used to crawl to the teachers and tell tales.

<shudders>

BoneyBackJefferson Sun 20-Oct-13 16:40:29

"be seen as an hero for stopping the decline in the standards
of punishment."

Only if he could do it by moving the goalposts and playing with the numbers.

Talkinpeace Sun 20-Oct-13 16:38:51

soul2000 you just made me spit my coffee!

Then again the Police Commissioner I was talking to is all in favour of abolishing most short prison sentences as they do not work and are too expensive - he's all in favour of 'peer courts' and 'payback' schemes. Gove would have kittens.

nennypops Sun 20-Oct-13 16:36:52

Gove is much more interested in his own career than in children's education. All of his initiatives are directed at what he thinks will play well with the electorate rather than at what will actually work. I'm just hoping that now that Labour has got rid of Twigg, who was as much use in opposition as a chocolate teapot, they might actually be able to show Gove up for the objectionable idiot that he is.

soul2000 Sun 20-Oct-13 16:36:08

Talkinpeace. the Conservative party know Gove as leader would probably
lose 1 million votes. They may think he may attract 95% of the UKIP vote
but even UKIP voters have kids at school . I think it would be more likely
he would become Home secretary than leader... Think about that, he could
bring back "PUBLIC HANGINGS, FLOGGINGS, TRANSPORTATION, CHAIN GANGS" and be seen as an hero for stopping the decline in the standards
of punishment.

The only way that Gove makes sense is to realise that he isn't talking to you. If you aren't his intended audience then what he is saying sounds like poorly thought out rubbish. I'm sure that he is aware that it doesn't make sense and this analogy is one example of him talking rubbish aimed at his desired audience.

Similarly in the US he wasn't really aiming his speech at the audience in the room but at the British public via the British press who would cover it more than the US press.

Talkinpeace Sun 20-Oct-13 16:08:26

Morgause
When he stops being Education Secretary he will run for Prime Minister.
Be careful what you wish for.

Morgause Sun 20-Oct-13 16:05:33

Gove won't be around much longer. He's made so many mistakes and had to back down so often that he's already a laughing stock.

I shan't weep when he's sacked. He's a bit of a sad case, really.

claig Sun 20-Oct-13 16:00:11

englishteacher78, you were right on what you said before, but on this one we shall have to agree to disagree most vehemently!

englishteacher78 Sun 20-Oct-13 15:46:36

The daily mail is poisonous, scientifically illiterate, misogynistic rubbish. But it makes for good General Studies lessons.
Of course, feel free to disagree, but I hate that paper for several objectionable articles over a number of years.

claig Sun 20-Oct-13 15:44:12

Thanks for that soul2000.

I have read Dominic Sandbrook's articles in the Daily Mail and they are very good. I think it is about time that I learnt a bit more about it all by getting hold of his book. Thanks for the good reminder.

englishteacher78, I think you are probably right. I read the Daily Mail in the hope that they will be able to influence them to carry out true conservative policies rather than these radical changes for change's sake ones.

englishteacher78 Sun 20-Oct-13 15:38:06

If by Conservative, you mean the pre-Maggie type. Then no, there aren't any. And yet the inherently conservative types keep voting for these Conservatives who love change for change's sake. I wouldn't necessarily call them progressives though. Monetarist prats maybe.

soul2000 Sun 20-Oct-13 15:32:48

sorry Craig. 1975 not 1977 Camping show at Olympia. Joseph went on about the
country needing change from Marxist subversion in front of kids and parents . Page 235 SEASONS IN THE SUN D SANBROOK.

claig Sun 20-Oct-13 14:44:41

No, soul2000, I didn't realise that.
That is fascinating. I will try to find that article.
It doesn't surprise me.
How many real Conservatives actually are there? Is everyone apart from the Daily Mail a progressive?

Thanks for that fascinating info.

soul2000 Sun 20-Oct-13 14:35:51

Claig you will be aware that speech sounds similar to the speech that
Keith Joseph gave at the "IDEAL HOME EXHIBITION" 1977, Gove i think
is a bit cuckoo like "JOSEPH".

claig Sun 20-Oct-13 14:25:38

'I think Claig likes the Daily Mail.'

Like it? I bloomin' well luffs it!

claig Sun 20-Oct-13 14:24:39

'Some have previously voted Conservative'

Good point, I wonder if they still will or if Gove has actually lost some Tory voters.

kim147 Sun 20-Oct-13 14:23:41

I think Claig likes the Daily Mail.

claig Sun 20-Oct-13 14:22:38

Yes, I know she is a fan of the Times. Yes, she probably thinks that the Mail is the best tabloid, but I am not sure she reads it.

Sparkle9 Sun 20-Oct-13 14:14:34

Claig - I saw a post from some time ago from her saying that the Times was the best newspaper ("best commentators") and the Mail was the best of the tabloids.

Sparkle9 Sun 20-Oct-13 14:11:12

Longfingernails - I am a teacher in a repeatedly Outstanding school. We probably have this 'rigour', of which you and Mr Gove speak, coming out of our ears. The children achieve outstanding results and make outstanding progress (including the ones who have SEN, FSM and/or EAL). It is not a selective school in terms of ability or faith. It is not a free school or academy. We do not think the LA is wonderful but we do appreciate being part of it. The teachers are all committed and repeatedly outstanding (with the odd 'good' lesson on a bad day). They are well educated, professional and hardworking. They care about the children and go above and beyond each day. The parents are very appreciative and supportive - they think the school is fantastic.

And yet..... Not one teacher at this school agrees with Gove's policies. Not one of us. Some have previously voted Conservative so it's not a 'party' thing. Ponder that, if you will.....

Oh and most of the teachers have a PGCE....

claig Sun 20-Oct-13 13:14:29

I don't think Longfingernails is a fan of the Mail if I remember rightly from some threads a few years ago.

Talkinpeace Sun 20-Oct-13 12:58:36

I suspect Longfingernails recently stopped writing for Murdoch and now writes for Dacre

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now