to think this analogy Gove makes is a bit hypocritical?

(109 Posts)
kim147 Sat 19-Oct-13 11:59:18

www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/oct/18/michael-gove-exam-grade-inflation

In the week we have seen 2 free schools fail (with unqualified teachers / heads in charge) and a young unqualified head of an academy quit, he comes out with this:

"Gove defended his decision to introduce more testing for pupils by drawing an analogy between two airlines. "Imagine that you had a choice not of schools, but of airlines. There is Test Airlines, very rigorous, and there is Warm and Fuzzy Airlines. What's the difference between the two? In Test Airlines they actually insist that the pilots have passed a test so that they can fly a plane. How old-fashioned can you get?

"At Warm and Fuzzy Airlines, they don't bother with these tests to see if pilots can fly. They just concentrate on all of the pilots giving the customers a warm and fuzzy feeling as soon as they get on board. Which would you fly with?"

I'd fly with an airline where they had people who knew about flying, had experience in it and were trained and observed in it - rather than an airline where some people had been in a plane, had read a few books on the theory and thought that they knew everything about being a pilot.

BrianWont Sat 19-Oct-13 12:02:50

Gove's a twat. Sadly, many seem to fall for his twattery.

OwlinaTree Sat 19-Oct-13 12:04:14

Hear, hear!!!

Round of applause for Kim.

Imagine having him as an after dinner speaker. Would make you vom up your dinner grin

Halfrek Sat 19-Oct-13 12:06:14

He is an unrepentant arsehole who needs a good slap.

The problem with him saying that it should be harder to get a C is that he will hammer the schools whose results will drop. We get excellent results but I am pretty sure they will drop this year, nothing to do with the teaching or the children just the changing goalposts. But we will be told it is our fault.

They simultaneously only want a few children to achieve a C but tell us we have failed the children who don't.

Don't even get me started on that free school head, what a twat. Don't know what she thought she was doing accepting that job.

lizzzyyliveson Sat 19-Oct-13 12:06:28

But he wants schools where the pilots (teachers and Heads) are not tested in any way. He wants our children to fly with an airline that sacks experienced and qualified pilots in favour of giving the job to the cabin crew on the basis that they have been up in an aeroplane before and watched other pilots and how hard can it be anyway?

noblegiraffe Sat 19-Oct-13 12:06:44

That's utterly idiotic. More tests doesn't mean that there were no tests before.

At Test Airline, the pilots are shattered from spending all their time preparing for tests. Would you fly with them?

gordyslovesheep Sat 19-Oct-13 12:07:09

he is the king of the twatbadgers

hackmum Sat 19-Oct-13 12:12:50

lizzzyyliveson is right - the analogy he uses completely undermines his own arguments. He is allowing people to set up schools who have no qualifications or experience and haven't passed the equivalent of a "flying" test. So wtf is he on about?

annie987 Sat 19-Oct-13 12:19:10

This contradicts everything he has ever said surely??? Knob!

Blissx Sat 19-Oct-13 12:54:32

And this coming from the man who failed his driving test first time. So it is ok for him to re-take tests, but sod everyone else? He went on strikes as a journalist, but sod everyone else? The man is only interested in becoming Prime Minister.

kim147 Sat 19-Oct-13 13:04:36

I just can't see how he can say that and then not realise how this links to his "anyone can teach and run a school" philosophy.

TheOriginalSteamingNit Sat 19-Oct-13 13:08:51

I'd fly on the airline which employed ex sergeant majors who'd never flown a plane before as pilots, obv.

Twat.

hackmum Sat 19-Oct-13 13:11:53

"I just can't see how he can say that and then not realise how this links to his "anyone can teach and run a school" philosophy."

I agree, I can't see that either. In fact, every time Gove comes out with a new statement or initiative, I think "this man appears to be really thick". Then I tell myself he can't be thick because he has his PPE degree from Oxford, worked for The Times, everyone goes on about how intelligent he is, etc. So if he's not thick, what is he? Perhaps, like Baldrick, he has a cunning plan.

kim147 Sat 19-Oct-13 13:12:24

In that analogy, he seems to be saying the pilots (the teachers) need a test to ensure they can fly a plane (or teach)

But in the other airline, the pilots are giving the customers a fuzzy glow.

I'm not sure he understands his analogy. Surely the first airline should be concentrating on giving the customers the best flight they can and landing them safely. The first airline doesn't even mention customers. Just trained pilots.

Do you think he wrote the analogy?

Cataline Sat 19-Oct-13 13:17:55

He's such a muppet
Some of his arguments are plausible- if you apply them to those in the top 2% or so, attainment wise. Those who will sit in a class, suck up the teachers' knowledge through traditional 'chalk and talk', behave impeccably, never have emotional or social issues or difficulties of any sort or anything else that would distract from their learning and progress.
The other 98% are fucked.

kim147 Sat 19-Oct-13 13:18:42

At the moment, they've found out some pilots can't fly after the metaphorical plane has taken off.

lifeissweet Sat 19-Oct-13 13:26:08

Here's an analogy for you...

Would you prefer to have the country run by experienced professionals who understand the realities of the world and take heed of the advice of esteemed academics and well researched studies

Or

Would you like the country run by clueless fuckwits with staggering arrogance and cotton wool in their ears

Oh..hang on...that's not an analogy, is it? Silly me.

Cataline Sat 19-Oct-13 13:37:33

lifeissweet grin

lljkk Sat 19-Oct-13 14:45:41

grin

cory Sat 19-Oct-13 14:49:09

grin

MamaBear17 Sat 19-Oct-13 15:12:09

I really hate that man. He is ruining my profession.

flumposie Sat 19-Oct-13 15:15:21

He is a knob head of the highest order and I could happily punch him

OwlinaTree Sat 19-Oct-13 15:18:58

i agree with mama and flump

sarine1 Sat 19-Oct-13 15:30:29

Staggering arrogance - spot on life is sweet! He really doesn't give a toss - as long as he's able to pursue his own narrow ideology and sod research, knowledge, experience, morality....
A truly loathsome & repugnant politician

bronya Sat 19-Oct-13 15:34:24

I have to say, in complete seriousness, that if Gove became Prime Minister, I'd emigrate!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now