(115 Posts)
InsultingBadger Sat 19-Oct-13 00:17:18

Huge slurp in
Swallow 1
Swallow 2
Swallow 3
Swallow 4

4 swallows for 1 huge mouthful!

Looks like it is hereditary - dd 2.10 does it too.. Help meeeeeeee!

HildaOgden Sat 19-Oct-13 00:18:58

Ltb.

YANBU.
I hate it when people blow on their drink before they take a sip.
Let it cool down FFS.

Makes me want to cleave their skulls.

InsultingBadger Sat 19-Oct-13 00:20:03

Extreme ... I will consider it. I am lying next to him on the sofa... It is in my ear... confused

InsultingBadger Sat 19-Oct-13 00:21:17

Yes, skull cleaving, that is what I feel like doing! (Although on dd it is quite cute, for now)

2Retts Sat 19-Oct-13 00:24:08

Misophonia?

I am severely afflicted too (as are the DC's) and we were delighted to know there is an actual word for it.

InsultingBadger Sat 19-Oct-13 00:25:06

What?! It's a real thing! Now I feel ashamed!!!!

InsultingBadger Sat 19-Oct-13 00:25:57

Hang on, me!? Yes?!

InsultingBadger Sat 19-Oct-13 00:26:30

I thought it was the name for the swallowing thing... Can you tell I've had wine?

2Retts Sat 19-Oct-13 00:28:10

Apparently so.

Many a dinner guest has run the risk of leaving our dinner table with a fork hanging from their forehead...we need background music for meals.

I feel a little guilty that I may be responsible for the DC's affliction though as I've had an extreme aversion to 'eating noises' since I was a child

2Retts Sat 19-Oct-13 00:29:22

Nah, the swallowing thing just sounds weird to me

AlbertoFrog Sat 19-Oct-13 00:30:05

DH sometimes (only sometimes thank God) eats with his mouth open. I hear it and though I tell myself not to look up I always do.

When this happens I could most certainly "cleave his skull"

And breathe.

2Retts Sat 19-Oct-13 00:30:23

PS Not 'apparently so' you've had wine grin

Kaluki Sat 19-Oct-13 00:30:33

Oh God me too.
DP gulps tea like a kid guzzling juice.
He breathes through his nose while he's eating too
If he comes into the room with an apple or a bag of crisps I have to leave!!!

2Retts Sat 19-Oct-13 00:31:05

Feeling your pain Alberto

usualsuspect Sat 19-Oct-13 00:31:20

Yanbu.

Elsiequadrille Sat 19-Oct-13 00:32:11

A great rush of air, pre slurp, is dreadful too.

Yanbu

2Retts Sat 19-Oct-13 00:32:17

How do people not know it is absolutely NOT ok to eat crisps or apples on public transport?

I suppose the throat sort of closes up because of the fear of choking on the huge mouthful of tea.

I've noticed it alot with very frail elderly people (I sometimes work in Residential Homes) the swallowing reflex seems to go so it's : mouthful of tea- wait-relax (?epiglotis)- swallow-gulp .

DropYourSword Sat 19-Oct-13 00:33:07

Oh my...there's a name for the absolute irrational and all engulfing anger and disgust I experience when hearing people chewing, gnawing, nibbling, slurping, grinding teeth, breathing loudly and swallowing!!

AlbertoFrog Sat 19-Oct-13 00:35:21

Crisps? Please don't mention crisps! Why rustle the packet trying to get every last crumb? ... tip up the poke and pour the remnants (quietly) into your mouth.

I have actually considered divorce over the way DH eats and drinks blush.

Hey usual - no bridges here smile

2Retts Sat 19-Oct-13 00:35:47

There's a whole website dedicated to it DropYourSword

My business partner enlightened me to it after watching a programme about it...he was very excited to let me know there was a name for it.

ICameOnTheJitney Sat 19-Oct-13 00:36:31

Hang on....OP is allowed to be angry at harmless drinking but I'm unreasonable for being offended at my DHs FARTS!?

OP yanbu but I fail to see the difference. My DH's Fart Thread....I got slaughtered! grin

2Retts Sat 19-Oct-13 00:37:30
DropYourSword Sat 19-Oct-13 00:39:43

I think it's how people word their questions on here Jitney. You said something about wanting him to go elsewhere to do it. If OP had said it annoys her so much she wants him to stop drinking tea I reckon she would have been told YABU! It's the finer details of how you ask that makes the difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now