to get naffed off with the raising breast cancer awareness frippery?

(109 Posts)

Fecking FB. angry

Tbh, I'm a bit irrational about it, having been touched signifcantly by BC recently, so my view may be skewed, but how on earth is I like it on the doorknob going to raise awareness in any mindful manner?

There's a photo of lemons in an egg box with clues to changes in breast tissue that are worth looking out for. Now that's worth sharing.

And raising money by running, cakes, whatever - worthwhile as well.

But stuppid inane posts? Meh.Wanky.

AIBU?

Stuppid?

hmm at self.

KirjavaTheCorpse Fri 18-Oct-13 18:07:12

Ah, so that's what those posts are about? No awareness raised here, had no idea what they were blabbering on about confused

MurderOfBanshees Fri 18-Oct-13 18:07:52

YANBU

It's a load of mindless bollocks

Felyne Fri 18-Oct-13 18:09:18

I agree with you. Let's post some odd innuendo and not tell anyone what it's about and somehow claim it's 'raising awareness' or, as in a message I got, 'showing how powerful women are'. ???? Yeah sure.
I did share the lemons picture you mentioned a few months ago (because hey it's good info to have any time of year not just October!)

ConfusedandDazed24 Fri 18-Oct-13 18:09:32

Also without being crass, of all the cancers, isn't breast cancer the one that most people are aware of? So if the intention really is to do a good deed and raise awareness why not pick one of the lesser talked about ones? Bowel cancer springs to mind here as a lot of people are either unaware of the symptoms or too embarrassed to seek help.

I did post this on the other thread but no one replied sad

ConfusedandDazed24 Fri 18-Oct-13 18:10:46

And does anyone have a link to the egg box thing please? I've also been significantly touched by BC and I'd like to share something worthwhile x

FrightRider Fri 18-Oct-13 18:11:00

me and some of my friends have been linking to this along with a statement of how we feel about the stupid games.

Its been getting some positive responses smile

CurlyKiwiControl Fri 18-Oct-13 18:11:44

Ah, I kinda agree.

However a lot of my family have recently joined fb, and are totally into this sort of thing, as its new for them iyswim... they think it's good. However, they have spectacularly missed the double entendre thing and have been driving me mad as they have all missed the "I like it on" part and just put "on the floor in the hall" part - which at first caused great alarm for her welfare!!!!

Bramshott Fri 18-Oct-13 18:11:59

I thought it was a tasteless joke tbh, and have deleted any messages about it. Surely it can't be any sort of official thing??

Letticetheslug Fri 18-Oct-13 18:12:13

I agree, it annoys me, presumably people are supposed to say " Why have you posted such shite" and we reply, " I'm glad you asked me that dear colleague..have you considered how prevalent breast cancer is..."

Load of bollocks

ConfusedandDazed24 Fri 18-Oct-13 18:12:46

LOVE that fright

Gossipmonster Fri 18-Oct-13 18:12:51

I just post this when I get a message about it and leave the conversation smile

m.huffpost.com/us/entry/2499249

MaidOfStars Fri 18-Oct-13 18:13:48

It's bollocks. I usually update my status to say something like: Instead of telling us about (insert activity), if people - men and women, this is not just a female cancer - want to do actually do something positive to help beat breast cancer, please consider donating below (add link to fundraising page).

Thanks, you lot, I started this thread in anger andhave deteriorated into upset about something so fecking trivial. sad

I'm glad I';m not alone thinking like this.

Will try and find lemons for you, BOP.

HereComesHoneyBooBooDragon Fri 18-Oct-13 18:14:40

Yup, yup and yup.

Drives me nuts. I stopped using Fb completely when my mum had cancer as some of the shit sent to me was awful. A shower of Internet angel wings are not going to cure cancer. Oddly enough sending them back to the recipients with a link attached to Macmillan resulted in £0.00 donations, from the caring thinking fuckertwats.

Well said, chaos.

I didn't initially know what you were talking about as it would appear I have finally defriended everyone who engages in this crap.

I know often it's mindless, but I think it's actually quite hurtful - breast cancer really isn't a good one to link with innuendos IMO (not sure any illness is!).

usualsuspect Fri 18-Oct-13 18:15:10

It gets people taking about Breast Cancer

Meh, I can't get worked up about stuff on FB

FrightRider Fri 18-Oct-13 18:15:50

tbh, i have never done the game, i honestly dont understand how it raises awareness to breast cancer.

Before that article i linked to popped up, i used to say something about not filling peoples feeds with idiotic innuendo and then link to a BC charity like Copafeel or The Breast cancer campaign website.

Big if though, usual.

And it also runs the risk of making people actually suffering with cancer feel shit, for obvious reasons.

TEErickOrTEEreat Fri 18-Oct-13 18:16:51

Sure talking about how naff their attempt to raise awareness is usual.

But hardly does anything to help with BC.

And not only women get BC so why is it always a 'don't tell the men' giggle giggle I'm going to puke thing.

NotYoMomma Fri 18-Oct-13 18:16:55

oh God I got an email about this today, where do you leave your handbag.

so by posting 'i like it on the sofa' apparently it raises awareness.

normally it raises only an eyebrow and a wtf?

as if people will suddenly be all 'whoa! breast cancer exists?!'

angry there should be useful links and info and how to donate to relevant charities, not innane drivel

usualsuspect Fri 18-Oct-13 18:17:04

And I've been affected by cancer a great deal in the last few years

cocoleBOO Fri 18-Oct-13 18:17:22

Oh is that what those I like it posts are? I was stumped.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now