to think that not that many mothers have time to 30-60 minute workouts every morning?

(209 Posts)
showtunesgirl Fri 18-Oct-13 15:47:01

Apparently that's what Maria Kang does.

Now I only have one almost two year old and just can't figure out how you would fit that in with even with one child let alone the three that Maria Kang has.

If anyone out there also does this, can you please let me know your secret?

Darkesteyes Sun 20-Oct-13 21:31:24

Sprinkle i dont work currently I am a full time carer for my DH I dont have DC.

A lot of working mums have stressful jobs with a lot of responsibility

Lazy hits nail on head I definately feel the benefits of excersising just from an hours power walk every day.

what my excuse?

When I get a spare hour (?) I prefer to lie on the couch eating cake. It's not an excuse it's a preference.

Although, I have done the shred twice this year, and will be doing in again. I am in no way interested in having a six pack, but I would like to feel slightly better about my wobbly stomach. But also, like a PP, I just don't want it that much.

comewinewithmoi Sun 20-Oct-13 19:43:48

I wondered that too op. hmm in regards to running with baby monitor. Big no.

Lazysuzanne Sun 20-Oct-13 19:36:58

there is a point, theoriginal, exercise has many health benefits but I dont believe you need to exercise to any kind of extreme extent to get the benefits.

Nothing wrong with being a fitness fanatic if thats your thing but I dont think it is necessary for health reasons.

theoriginalandbestrookie Sun 20-Oct-13 19:30:10

I exercise 3-4 times a week. It's important for me to feel well and exercise gives me energy and stops me from getting bigger.

However I do not and will not, no matter what I ever do, look as good as Maria Kang. Something to do with genetics, big hips and enjoying my food.

The advert makes me want to give up actually. What's the point - I don't look as if I exercise, I'm not thin, I don't have white shiny teeth, I didn't even manage to have three kids.

Surely a more inspiring message would be to show normal sized females who feel better from exercising.

Mintyy Sun 20-Oct-13 19:12:56

When she says "what is your excuse" my answer is "I just don't want it that much".

SprinkleLiberally Sun 20-Oct-13 19:07:35

I'll be honest. If you don't work its a whole different ball game. And just not the same. Likewise if your children are old enough to be left alone. If you work and have a partner who works, and young children it is horrendously hard.

Darkesteyes Sun 20-Oct-13 17:22:13

Thanks Lavendar thanks Ive just come back from my power walk....soaking wet through Had a bit of extra weight to carry You wouldnt believe how much water weighs on trackie bottoms Torrential rain here today Absolutely sopping wet through.
So Maria Kang if i was slacking i would have used todays weather as an excuse wouldnt i! Id never heard of Maria Kang before i saw this thread. Pity i dont know her personally because if i catch a cold after today i could make sure i sneezed in her vicinity or gave her a hug for being so "inspirational" She might catch my cold but hey... she wouldnt be able to accuse me of slacking.
She sounds like a bit of a mysogynist to me. Agree with the poster who said its a shame she has to attack women to get her point across Wonder if her BFF is Louise Mensch I reckon theyd get on well.

FloozeyLoozey Sun 20-Oct-13 13:55:27

I do have the time technically but I don't have the mental capacity. I'm a single parent who works over 40 hours a week in a stressful responsible job. It takes all my coping resources just to parent ds and have a clean house. I can't actually cope with any more! Ds' s dad has no involvement.

Heartbrokenmum73 Sun 20-Oct-13 12:29:30

I'm a little bit in love with BlueTit and Jayne after their epic posts! blush

showtunesgirl Sun 20-Oct-13 12:25:04

Totally different debate but Crowler are you saying you should leave your kids at home by themselves to go for a run? hmm

bababababoom Sun 20-Oct-13 11:41:47

YANBU. I don't have time to brush my hair in the morning let alone work out. I have 3 DC.

What I copuld do is exercise in the evenings. I don't. I'm knackered. Yes, if I was more motivated, I could.

Our swimming pool has a creche and I'd love to go swimming but they won't take school age kids (dc 1 and 2 are Home Educated). I can't go in the evening as I can't drive.

But yes, I'd go for a run or do a dvd in the evening if I really could be bothered wouldn't i!!

Her poster doesn't actually state what she's talking about

What's my excuse for not having three boys? Well I managed it but I have a girl too

What's my excuse for having stretch marks? I did try honest, numerous lotions and creams but I still have them all over

What's my excuse for not having narrow hips? The doctor wouldn't shave bone off my hipbones. Most inconsiderate of them

What's my excuse for not having a poster with me on it? My children refused to play ball. Like me they don't like having their photo taken so that I can use the image to belittle others

What's my excuse for not having long brown hair? I keep it shorter because I can only afford one bottle of dye at a time.

What's my excuse for not having shiny white straight teeth? I live in Britain. I can't afford to get the hole fixed in my tooth let alone a brace or whitening treatment

Ok I'm bored now

Lazysuzanne Sun 20-Oct-13 11:22:39

but it seems as if alot of us buy into her message, lots of us have posted explaining why they dont dedicate their lives to the pursuit of the body beautiful.
No one needs to justify or explain having different priorities from MK

Lazysuzanne Sun 20-Oct-13 11:19:24

surely what MK really means is
'dont you all wish you were as hot as me'

only she cant actually say that because she'd be immediately shot down, so she presents herself as praiseworthy and heroic

ben5 Sun 20-Oct-13 11:17:38

I would love to exercise more but I would have to be so much more organised. Dh is away ( he's navy) there's no family support and I work school hours( which is great but I have no break in these hours so i can do pick up and drop offs!!). I have 30 minutes swimming every week as the boys are in the same time. I tried taekowndo but its evenings and falls on the evenings I often have meetings( I can take the kids with me). Before kids I was a gym junky. Only another 5 years and I should get some kind of life back!!!

Lazysuzanne Sun 20-Oct-13 10:55:48

IMO MK comes across as smug, self righteous and up her self.
Are we supposed to congratulate her for her vanity?

As for the 'man should be the head of the household' gobshiite!
Arrgghh give me strength angry

StarfishTrooper Sun 20-Oct-13 10:29:10

EXACTLY BlueTit

That picture of MK looking so glowing, fit and happy with her three gorgeous kids and a 'What's Your Excuse?' strapline is just so fucking horrendous I don't know where to start.

So many of us are trying so hard just to get by in life, do right by our kids, have a career, support aging relatives/disabled children etc etc etc. We are all managing different life circumstances with different levels of pressure and different personalities.

You know, I look at that ad, and because I'm a sensitive type who judges myself very harshly, I feel a sinking feeling of failure, despite the fact I'm raising two small children one of whom has severe disabilities and a propensity to stop breathing, working through the nights to keep my PR consultancy business going, and running a household while DH works away. I look at my Shred DVD, my running shoes and my boxing gloves and wish I could spend more time looking after myself. I would LOVE to be out there running or heading out to yoga or crossfit. But there are other priorities right now. I'm lucky if I work out twice a week. I definitely don't look like Maria Kang.

And you have the audacity to ask me what my excuse is Maria Kang? Well, for that, you are a wanker of the highest order.

cleofatra Sun 20-Oct-13 09:09:21

Goddam I wish there was a LIKE button

GrandstandingBlueTit Sun 20-Oct-13 09:08:10

It's ridiculous that people feel as if they have to justify themselves.

And I say this as a slim person.

Where is the pressure on fathers - you know, the ones who don't have to go through 9 months of pregnancy, as well as potentially breastfeeding their offspring - to be buff and toned with three young children?

There is no pressure on fathers to be back in shape and looking fit and attractive by X months after their child was born.

Let's take a leaf out of their book and reject insidious people who make others feel like shit about themselves, and instead just do what the fuck we want.

If you want to lose weight, then do it. But don't do it because some random believes you should have the same priorities and support network that she has.

Maria Kang annoyed me more with her statement that men are the head of the family unless you're a single mum. I think she should just stand there and look good without speaking

Astr0naut Sun 20-Oct-13 08:44:06

You can't do it every day if you work. I'm up at 6 every day to get ready for work. I have an hour between tea and putting kids to bed, which is usually filled with little jobs.

I then start work again at 730. I manage 2 or 3 gym sessions a week. I'll never have a tiny waist or a. six pack again, but I've accepted that my life is just too full for the next 18 years. Maybe less if it's different when they're teens.

cleofatra Sun 20-Oct-13 08:41:42

And I should add. I swim for about an hour each week day and I sont look like her.

cleofatra Sun 20-Oct-13 08:37:17

I totally get it when people say they can't find the time. Until my youngest went to school, it was impossible for me. Even now he is at school, my mornings wouldnt be the ideal. For one, I live in a small 3 bedroom semi and the sound of the tv and me jumping would wake the kids, and the neighbours. And I must confess, the little one sleeps in with me. I wake early but its to do uniforms, breakfasts, lunches etc anyway.
My time is school time now smile

ProfondoRosso Sun 20-Oct-13 08:35:20

It can be pretty difficult for non-mothers too, if you work long hours and have a particularly demanding/unpredictable job! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now