Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

AIBU to think that a child with suspected chicken pox should not be attending nursery?

(35 Posts)
coldteaforme Fri 18-Oct-13 15:17:32

Whilst dropping ds off at nursery this morning I over heard another mother saying to a member of staff 'oh I think dd has chicken pox- look at her spots'. Staff member agrees that the spots look like chicken pox, and tells the mother to make an appointment to see the doctor to confirm. The little girl then skips off into nursery and the mother tells the staff member to call her if there's any problems.
AIBU to think the child shouldn't be in nursery with chicken pox even if it's only suspected? I felt really uncomfortable leaving ds but I wasn't sure if this was normal practice?

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 18-Oct-13 16:05:50

My dds pre school stuck a notice board outside the building warning us that CP was doing the rounds. People had a choice then.

Everyone expects their kid to get it, however it's courteous to warn people for obvious reasons and deliberate exposure is not on.

giraffesCantGoGuising Fri 18-Oct-13 17:00:42

People undergoing chemo (including children - so siblings of nursery kids) can catch cp again after their chemo even f hadd it before. It can be really dangerous to someone with a low immune system. So people need to be really careful and act quickly so the person can have a vaccination. CP can kill the vulnerable - same as flu can.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Fri 18-Oct-13 17:23:10

I would be well pissed off with the parent as the nursery staff, you have to say something!

Pobblewhohasnotoes Fri 18-Oct-13 17:23:22

*and

quoteunquote Fri 18-Oct-13 17:23:25

Totally unacceptable, and very dangerous.

Ask to see their policy on infectious children, and inform ofsted they accept infectious children

LucyLui25 Fri 18-Oct-13 17:51:40

Ask the manager what the policy is on this, in relation to the governments HPU guidance which states that a child should be excluded until the spots have crusted over.
The nursery worker may not know the nursery policy which is a whole other issue, and needs to be brought the the managers attention

pastelmacaroons Fri 18-Oct-13 19:38:46

Its not general publics fault that they do not treat CP with more respect usually reaction from HCP over it are relaxed, so relaxed they do not care about suspect pox going into surgery, full of elderly pregnant etc.

I think its disgusting.

Our DC were very ill with it, it was awful and I know of others who have had a nasty time with it also.

Pawprint Sun 20-Oct-13 03:41:22

Oh I know CP can be v dangerous for the immune paired etc - my sister's death was hastened (she was immune suppressed) when she caught CP in hospital sad

I just meant that one can't always protect kids from CP. It was foolish of the nursery to let the child in.

Actually, I am quite glad my son had CP early on in childhood because it can be more severe in older children and adults.

Peanate Sun 20-Oct-13 08:15:38

My DD had had chicken pox a couple of months ago. I sent her to daycare with a spot or two - I thought they were flea bites! Gave the dog a treatment and all.

Daycare rang me two hours later and I collected her immediately. I was worried she would have infected the whole pre school, but apparently no one else caught it.

Personally I'm glad she has had it now (and it was v mild). I still felt bad though...

mrscog Sun 20-Oct-13 08:21:32

I think you should mention it to the nursery, but assuming everyone in your household is otherwise healthy etc don't stress too much about your DS - it's better to have it younger and they all get it eventually anyway. I know some people end up seriously ill with it (I'm not minimising the lines) but this is impossible to predict and rare so try not to worry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now